Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car insurance remember your no claims

Car insurance remember your no claims

Old Nov 30th 2002, 10:07 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about
Default Car insurance remember your no claims

Dear All
Just thought i would let you know about a little problem we are having. When you come over remember to bring your no claims certificate. In Australia you need to prove what type of insurance you had. For example my husband had 9 years no claims which was made up of 6 years fully comp and 3 years third party. We have bought a car and insured it fully comp but because his last certificate was third party we are now having to chase his previous insurer to prove he had fully comp insuranc for 6 years and they will only base his no claims on this.
Hope you all understand what iam babbling on about if not just ask.

Debbie Jo
Old Nov 30th 2002, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance remember your no claims

Originally posted by Debbie Jo
Dear All
Just thought i would let you know about a little problem we are having. When you come over remember to bring your no claims certificate. In Australia you need to prove what type of insurance you had. For example my husband had 9 years no claims which was made up of 6 years fully comp and 3 years third party. We have bought a car and insured it fully comp but because his last certificate was third party we are now having to chase his previous insurer to prove he had fully comp insuranc for 6 years and they will only base his no claims on this.

Debbie Jo
Hi,Good advise,also to be noted is the fact that if one of you is a second driver in the uk you can both use the no claims in australia if you need two cars when you get there.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 9:34 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

I was quite surprised with my insurance company, GIO. All they needed was my previous insurance company name & policy #, I just stated what my no-claims bonus was. Which was a great help, as our paperwork was in a bit of a mess post-move.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 6:53 am
Just Joined

crispins is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Car insurance remember your no claims

Originally posted by Debbie Jo
Dear All

Debbie Jo
I was also surprised... I have never owned a car myself but always used my parent for the past 10 years...

When I insured my car in Oz, I got a copy of their insurance showing me as a named driver from my folks insurance company and instantly got 60% NCB...
Old Dec 10th 2002, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

In the UK I had only driven Hire Cars or my Company Car.

I did find a massive range of Insurance quotes from $1,200 pa to $650 pa the latter being with NRMA in Queensland (NRMA is the NSW motoring organization) the former with the then RACQ-GIO (RACQ is the NSW motoring organization). Just shows ya.

RACQ now have a different Insurance 'partner' in place.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future
Default Correction to last ...

RACQ is the Queensland motoring organisation (not dissimilar to the UK's AA or RAC)