Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car insurance question?

Car insurance question?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Car insurance question?

I've bought a new car from a garage in Melbourne. The price includes registration for the first year which I understand covers me for third party insurance. Is this correct?

Also do I need a car registration number to get fully comp insurance? Do I need any other info?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance question?

Originally Posted by gidxg03
I've bought a new car from a garage in Melbourne. The price includes registration for the first year which I understand covers me for third party insurance. Is this correct?

Also do I need a car registration number to get fully comp insurance? Do I need any other info?

Thanks in advance.
The insurance part of the rego covers you for 3rd party person but not 3rd party property. So if you hit someone you're covered for any damage to the person but not the damage to their car (or wall, etc...).

It's worth getting fully comp as it doesn't cost that much more. It's been a while since I got my fully comp (now I just renew) so I can't remember exactly what you need.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Dec 3rd 2007 at 9:40 pm. Reason: Bad typing day
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The insurance part of the rego covers you for 3rd party person but not 3rd party property. So it you hit someone your covered for any damage to the person but not the damage to their car (or wall, etc...).

It's worth getting fully comp as it doesn't cost that much more. It's been a while since I got my fully comp (now I just renew) so I can't remember exactly what you need.
Thanks for the info. Do I need a car reg to get fully comp insurance?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

andydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura aboutandydon has a spectacular aura about

Didn't get my car insuance without the reg number..
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the info. Do I need a car reg to get fully comp insurance?
I think so. And an address of where the car will be kept.

If you move and change the address make sure that they change the address of where the car is kept as well. Seems obvious but I guess it doesn't always follow that a change of address is someone moving.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think so. And an address of where the car will be kept.

If you move and change the address make sure that they change the address of where the car is kept as well. Seems obvious but I guess it doesn't always follow that a change of address is someone moving.
Thanks. Never thought of the change of address.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

Yeah. I got caught out by it. I moved to a cheaper area (insurance wise) and thought that supplying them with the new address would be enough. However I did get a refund for most of it.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:02 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you dont change address if you move then your insurance would be void, as basically u have told a fib as to where the vehicle is normally kept overnight
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Thanks in advance.
G'Day David,

Your car will probably be registered on the day you collect it so that you get the full 12 months rego etc, a number plate will be allocated then. The cheapest insurance companies are AAMI or Budget, you will be able to arrange fully comp insurance with one of these or another over the phone from the garage, if you look at their websites you may even be able to do it online without the registration number, I remember one of the ask for the number (if known). I think you then have 2 weeks or so to supply the number.

Feel free to give them our address as you will be staying here until you sort your rental out.

See you on the 15th, do you need directions?

Andy
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andy thomas
G'Day David,

Your car will probably be registered on the day you collect it so that you get the full 12 months rego etc, a number plate will be allocated then. The cheapest insurance companies are AAMI or Budget, you will be able to arrange fully comp insurance with one of these or another over the phone from the garage, if you look at their websites you may even be able to do it online without the registration number, I remember one of the ask for the number (if known). I think you then have 2 weeks or so to supply the number.

Feel free to give them our address as you will be staying here until you sort your rental out.

Andy
Hi Andy. Thanks for the advice mate.

Should be fine as we have Tom Tom with us thanks. Have to sort out the car at the garage when we leave the airport so not sure what time we will get to the house Andy. Should we phone you or do you live next door?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

You can ring if you like but I think we will be around, your property is next to ours on the farm and it will be open for you. What time do you land on the Saturday?

Andy
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can ring if you like but I think we will be around, your property is next to ours on the farm and it will be open for you. What time do you land on the Saturday?

Andy
I think it's 09:30 Andy but I can guarentee you we will have problems with the dealer. They have been a royal pain in the arse.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think it's 09:30 Andy but I can guarentee you we will have problems with the dealer. They have been a royal pain in the arse.
No worries, see you in the afternoon for a beer.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

No worries, see you in the afternoon for a beer.
LoL if I can stay awake!! Thanks Andy.