Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Our experience

Car Insurance Our experience

Old Apr 25th 2004, 12:04 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Car Insurance Our experience

I thought this may be of some use to others.

We rang around for car insurance for our first car. It was in my husbands name and at that point we were still driving on British licences.

Most penalised us financially for not having had Aussie licence for the last 5 yrs. We were looking at quotes of $700 - 800 for the year fully comp.

We had a rating one with full no claims from UK. We finally rang the HSBC as the website was not letting us complete the transaction. Good job we did as the quote came down over the phone by $100.

We managed to get insurance with a rating one for under $500 and to pay monthly you did not pay any extra than the yr premium,

Now the good part. I rang to insure our second car. Did not bother ringing around as I knew I would get stung on the question how long have you held an Aussie licence. (HSBC do not ask that question)

They located me as I had contents insurance. They asked was I insured to drive any othe vehicle. I said I was a named driver on my husbands. They asked who he insured with I said them (HSBC).

I hardly had to answer any questions. But heres the best bit I only had 2 yrs no claims in UK but they gave me full no claims as my husband had a rating 1 and I was on his insurance.

Thought this may be worth you knowing if one has full no claims and the other has less. It is a way of saving money.

Jo
Old Apr 25th 2004, 12:18 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

With the NRMA they asked how long I had a license. Nationality of license did not matter. I did not have a car in Britain but they gave me a 50% no claims because I had never made a claim.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
With the NRMA they asked how long I had a license. Nationality of license did not matter. I did not have a car in Britain but they gave me a 50% no claims because I had never made a claim.
You and me both Bondipom. The subtle difference in the questions meant that my premiums are way cheaper here. I was asked how long I'd had a licence (instead of how long I'd had insurance), and whether I'd claimed in the last 5 years. In the UK I didn't have full no claims - here I went straight to rating 1.

The issue of my driving licence nationality was never raised by any of the insurance companies - in fact it was me who raised it with one of them and they said it made no difference.

(I'm with RACV)
Old Apr 25th 2004, 1:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Same with Dagboy, they said nationality of licence didnt matter (he is still using his UK licence! let alone what it was previously) , we are with RACQ.

There seems to be a pattern emerging here .