Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in NZ

Car Insurance in NZ

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

millertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance in NZ

Hi there

Have been in New Zealand about three or four weeks now and today got internet connected to apartment so well happy.

Anyway went car shopping today and found a nice car - will have to get used to automatics though! Been searching the net for car insurance and coming up against brick wall - need NZ driving Licence and we only have UK one. Can anyone out there recomend a company please?

Cheers all.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:23 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Hi,
I will be in the same situation in three weeks, so I will see what replies you get. Do you know if you get any discount with a UK, no claims discount certificate.

Cheers Kev.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by St George Six
Hi,
I will be in the same situation in three weeks, so I will see what replies you get. Do you know if you get any discount with a UK, no claims discount certificate.

Cheers Kev.
Why not just go get the NZ licence? I did when i got there...i still keep my UK one.
You have to do oan idiotically simple theory test on a scratch card (i kid you not!!)
And once you have done it you very quickly have an NZ licence and problem solved.

As for no claims discount. Yes you can use your UK no claims here.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

By The Way...

You can do this test by simply going to any AA centre, no appointment needed and you do it there and then.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:36 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Once you enter NZ as a PR you have 1 year to get a NZ license. As for insurance, the AA will give you a quote, but there are (as I have since learned) many other more competitive companies. Insurance is not a legal requirement here!!!!

I have to do the theory twice! one for car & one for bike, as PP said, it's a scratch card multi guess paper! Then you have to get used to NZ drivers! And you thought it couldn't get any worse than UK drivers............!!!!!

Good luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by garrisondamn
Once you enter NZ as a PR you have 1 year to get a NZ license. As for insurance, the AA will give you a quote, but there are (as I have since learned) many other more competitive companies. Insurance is not a legal requirement here!!!!

I have to do the theory twice! one for car & one for bike, as PP said, it's a scratch card multi guess paper! Then you have to get used to NZ drivers! And you thought it couldn't get any worse than UK drivers............!!!!!

Good luck.

LOL..oh yes Alan..i an relate on the NZ driver comment, but i better not sat too much as my husband is one of them!!

Also make sure you are aware of a verystrange rule on the roads in NZ.
When you are driving along a road and you wish to turn left, if there is anohter car coming in the opposite direction and they are indicating to turn into the same road, YOU have to give way! I spent the first mths here having daily near misses as i kept forgetting... :scared:
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Default found a couple

Kev - just so you know State Insurance and The National Auto Club provide insurance if you have a UK Driving Lic..managed to find a couple!
My visa is not PR so not sure if can get an NZ Licence will have to check that out...but a couple of options anyway.

willing to use my 5yrs no claims too.

Thanks for all the replys folks
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone with an English licence can get NZ licence you just have to fill in a form to convert your licence and do a test - did mine last week, cost $84.

I hit a brick wall when trying to insure - but I eventually got a quote from AMI but you have to phone them (0800 100200) they will accept english no claims but you have to show proof. AMP where awful and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: found a couple

Originally posted by millertime
Kev - just so you know State Insurance and The National Auto Club provide insurance if you have a UK Driving Lic..managed to find a couple!
My visa is not PR so not sure if can get an NZ Licence will have to check that out...but a couple of options anyway.

willing to use my 5yrs no claims too.

Thanks for all the replys folks
Miller..i am only here on a work permit and i have the NZ drivers licence.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 3:30 am
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car insurance

HI we have been in Nz for nearly 2 weeks and have bought a car.We got our insurance through the ASB bank who we are banking with.
VERY VERY helpfull, can`t praise them enough.
We also gave them proof of no claims and they gave us a good discount.Our insurance was fully comp for a year on a subaru $348 and if you have house inurance with them too it goes even lower.
I was really woried about driving an automatic but i love it now.

Hope this helps
kerrie

The wait to get here was more than worth it.
Old Oct 4th 2003, 8:25 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I got mine through AMI Chch - no need to show PR status or declare it, I just walked into the office and filled in the forms immediately with the Ins Mgr's help. Got 60% no claims discount, I needed to show good evidence of no claims history plus I am a sad old fart of 40 which probably helped.

NZD460 fully comp, Toyota Surf worth about NZD22500.
Old Oct 5th 2003, 9:24 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I got mine through AMI Chch - no need to show PR status or declare it, I just walked into the office and filled in the forms immediately with the Ins Mgr's help. Got 60% no claims discount, I needed to show good evidence of no claims history plus I am a sad old fart of 40 which probably helped.

NZD460 fully comp, Toyota Surf worth about NZD22500.

Hi Don,

I will be In Chch on 26th OCT for a week, have you the address and Tel no. for AMI as I am hoping to pick car up and will need insurance, I am bringing proof of No Claims with me.

many thanks Kev.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 1:51 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by St George Six
Hi Don,

I will be In Chch on 26th OCT for a week, have you the address and Tel no. for AMI as I am hoping to pick car up and will need insurance, I am bringing proof of No Claims with me.

many thanks Kev.
Big building in Latimer Sq, I seem to remember - v easy to find, don't worry.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Default Cheers

Hi there - got the insurance through the AA in the end for $330 and they took my full no claims from the UK.

State were competitive but The National Auto Club were v pricey...discovered they were high risk insurers!

Will go sort out the NZ Driving Lic thing now though!

Cheers
Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Bought a brand new top of range Nissan 2.5 L X-trail for $42K (go out and haggle). ASB quoted me $530. No evidence of no-claims and they didn't bring it up. Would you get this for £530 in UK - I don't think so. This was for Napier as prices are regional like UK.

Didn't take as haven't got adress yet. Will chase when I have time as car arrives next week.

Roger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.