Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??

Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??

Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:04 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice
Default Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??

...I've been told that 3rd party insurance is included in the rego, and that for further cover you have to take out a policy??

Can anyone give me any info on this??

Thanks!
Grant
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:28 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance, how does it work in Oz??

Originally Posted by GrantP
...I've been told that 3rd party insurance is included in the rego, and that for further cover you have to take out a policy??

Can anyone give me any info on this??

Thanks!
Grant
yes to both

most of the fully comp car insurances allow any driver over the age of 25 to drive the motor, unnamed, very handy when you have people visiting from the UK.

we've found the insurance much cheaper too.

Nice.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:33 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Originally Posted by walla1
yes to both

most of the fully comp car insurances allow any driver over the age of 25 to drive the motor, unnamed, very handy when you have people visiting from the UK.

we've found the insurance much cheaper too.

Nice.
Hi Walla!

That does sounds pretty handy!!

Do they class the cars into groups as in the UK?? The reason I ask is that I'm wondering if insuring an Impreza WRX will cost me a small fortune???

Are there any car insurance websites that offer online quotes???

Cheers!
Grant
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:36 am
ABCDiamond

The 3rd party cover being referred to, as being included in the rego, is the CTP.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance is the only form of insurance that is compulsory.

It is paid each year along with the vehicle registration fee.
CTP protects you against any claims that could arise because of death or injury to other people caused by the negligence of anyone driving your car.
It does NOT cover the driver of your car or damage to vehicles or property.

See this link for CTP FAQ in QLD

You may need further cover, if you want to be really covered in case you hit anyone elses car etc.

eg: Third Party Property Insurance covers you against damage you may cause to other cars and property. This insurance doesn't give you any protection for your car. However, it is recommended that you have this level of insurance as a minimum - without this insurance, damage caused to an expensive vehicle by you in an accident could be costly.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:37 am
ABCDiamond

Are there any car insurance websites that offer online quotes???
Quite a few do. Here is one http://www.aami.com.au/

Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:37 am
Welsh Member!!

....also, I'll have to use the car for business too, so how will this effect my insurance??
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:41 am
Welsh Member!!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The 3rd party cover being referred to, as being included in the rego, is the CTP.

Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance is the only form of insurance that is compulsory.

It is paid each year along with the vehicle registration fee.
CTP protects you against any claims that could arise because of death or injury to other people caused by the negligence of anyone driving your car.
It does NOT cover the driver of your car or damage to vehicles or property.

See this link for CTP FAQ in QLD

You may need further cover, if you want to be really covered in case you hit anyone elses car etc.

eg: Third Party Property Insurance covers you against damage you may cause to other cars and property. This insurance doesn't give you any protection for your car. However, it is recommended that you have this level of insurance as a minimum - without this insurance, damage caused to an expensive vehicle by you in an accident could be costly.
...so the insurance with the rego doesn't cover damage to the 3rd party's car?? Sounds more like legal cover if this is the case??
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:03 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

....also, I'll have to use the car for business too, so how will this effect my insurance??
yes..
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:04 am
Keeping it fairly real

...so the insurance with the rego doesn't cover damage to the 3rd party's car?? Sounds more like legal cover if this is the case??
yes it does cover the third party car but not your own...
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:34 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by walla1
yes it does cover the third party car but not your own...
No, if we are talking about the CTP provided with the Registration, it does NOT cover the other car. That is a common misconception, based on the UK thinking on third party insurance.

The CTP Insurance only covers against any claims that could arise because of death or injury.

A quote from the FAQ link I gave earlier:
Does CTP insurance cover damage to property or other vehicles?
No. CTP insurance only covers personal injury to another party where a legal liability can be established.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:40 am
Keeping it fairly real

No, if we are talking about the CTP provided with the Registration, it does NOT cover the other car. That is a common misconception, based on the UK thinking on third party insurance.

The CTP Insurance only covers against any claims that could arise because of death or injury.

wrong again

thanks for the correction ABC
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:04 am
Welsh Member!!

Like I said, surely this should be renamed 'Legal Cover' as this describes it better!!!???
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:09 am
PommieLeague

I find these are both the cheapest and best

www.budgetdirect.com.au

Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:14 am
ABCDiamond

Like I said, surely this should be renamed 'Legal Cover' as this describes it better!!!???
That would then be confused with the "Legal Cover" that is available to cover legals fees etc.

Enough confusion to us Brits with the "Third Party" name similarity bit

Although, being "Compulsory Third Party", it is legally required

Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PommieLeague
I find these are both the cheapest and best

www.budgetdirect.com.au
I agree - I rang them and saved $200 on my SGIO quote. I will be using them for everything from now on.

Diane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.