Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance - help please

Car Insurance - help please

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 2:32 pm
joveazey

Default Car Insurance - help please

Hi all,

We have arranged to buy a Ute and a car for when we arrive in Perth on 13th May. I have been on a few Aus insurance sites and got quotes, but I can't seem to contact them as all the phone numbers are freephone (only in Aus). I need to know what we need to do about our no claims discount as we have already sold our van and have had to send the policy back so the proof of no claims will be dated a couple of months before we arrive - is this a problem ?? Also has anyone arranged insurance with a credit card before they arrive in Aus ?

Thanks

Jo

Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:29 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Insurance - help please

I'm not sure about WA but in Vic, car insurance is not compulsary.
If it's the same in WA then you don't need to panic about arranging car insurance before you arrive .
Generally any proof of no claims will be accepted on face value .
Some companies just take your word on it ,probably because the main criteria are your age and where you live and your excess amount.

You might want to post a thread about insurance in WA and I wouldn't worry too much about sticking it on your credit card .It is an accepted way of paying , but if you have time you can arrange a direct debit from your ox bank account

Steve
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 8:35 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi all,

We have arranged to buy a Ute and a car for when we arrive in Perth on 13th May. I have been on a few Aus insurance sites and got quotes, but I can't seem to contact them as all the phone numbers are freephone (only in Aus). I need to know what we need to do about our no claims discount as we have already sold our van and have had to send the policy back so the proof of no claims will be dated a couple of months before we arrive - is this a problem ?? Also has anyone arranged insurance with a credit card before they arrive in Aus ?

Thanks

Jo
In Qld you have Compulsory Third Party insurance included in ur Rego....dont know about where u r headin!!!!!

I phoned up Suncorp with UK credit card in hand, told them hubby had full no claims.....our ute was covered in 5 mins $330 fully comp

Good Luck
Old Mar 24th 2005, 1:43 am
Just Joined

Neil&Di is on a distinguished road

i am in WA. you get third party insurance as part of your rego here also. we got insurance for both of our cars with GIO and we have been granted full no claims discount without providing evidence. the majority of other companies that i spoke to for quotes would also accept verbal confirmation of no claims discount as long as you supply them with proof at some point in the future.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Your old insurer will provide a letter confirming the number of years you had with them and any claims record. They won't normally indicae the NCB rate since that is company-specific.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:18 am
Just Joined

shoots is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=melbournehelp]I'm not sure about WA but in Vic, car insurance is not compulsary.
If it's the same in WA then you don't need to panic about arranging car insurance before you arrive .

not sure saying you don't need insurance is good advice as from what i've read REGO only covers injuries to 3rd parties and not the cost of the damage caused. or have i got it wrong????

just basing this on an earlier thread

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284013&highlight=rego+insurance[/URL]
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by shoots
not sure saying you don't need insurance is good advice as from what i've read REGO only covers injuries to 3rd parties and not the cost of the damage caused. or have i got it wrong????

just basing this on an earlier thread

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284013&highlight=rego+insurance[/URL]
That sounds about right:

Compulsory Third Party (CTP, Greenslip) is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle. It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury and NOT damage to other property cars etc.

Here is a link to the compulsory Third Party Insurance in WA:
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/m...buy/insur.html