British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Car insurance claims UK v Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/car-insurance-claims-uk-v-oz-402601/)

walaj Oct 16th 2006 11:39 pm

Car insurance claims UK v Oz

Unfortuantely twice this year my car has been the target of other drivers failing to give way or stop.

First was in UK, a few weeks before we left. Other driver did not give way leaving no braking distance resulting in collision. Other driver did not admit responsibility & gave BS reasons why it was my fault :confused: . Anyway I had to pay out for excess, and car hire (did'nt incl on insurance) thinking I would get it back, plus lots of hassles trying to get car fixed. There were plenty of phone calls trying to find out what was happening, apparently a decision has now been made (without consulting me, last they told me they would be asking for more info) and still trying to find out what that exactly means. 9mths and counting

In contrast car goes into the back of me last week in Oz (slow speed, so not much damage) - phone insurance company (the reckon they answer 9 out of 10 calls with 1 min, took over 20), spent about 30 mins giving details. Next day take car to assessment place, they provide taxi to pick up hire car (horrible little 3dr box, not easy to get toddler in & out of back when 39wks pregnant), 2 days later the car is ready to pick up, done at place so can easily drop off hire car. No money paid out, a bit of hassle, no claims not affected and as far as I am concerned there is nothing else for me to do. Done & dusted within 72hrs.

Now as I don't make it a habit to be involved in accidents I don't know if it was just bad luck in UK & good in Oz, if the above reflects or not the difference in how claims are handled in the 2 countries - just an observation

Safe driving & watch out for those other drivers :D

jad n rich Oct 17th 2006 12:46 am

Re: Car insurance claims UK v Oz

Originally Posted by walaj
Unfortuantely twice this year my car has been the target of other drivers failing to give way or stop.

First was in UK, a few weeks before we left. Other driver did not give way leaving no braking distance resulting in collision. Other driver did not admit responsibility & gave BS reasons why it was my fault :confused: . Anyway I had to pay out for excess, and car hire (did'nt incl on insurance) thinking I would get it back, plus lots of hassles trying to get car fixed. There were plenty of phone calls trying to find out what was happening, apparently a decision has now been made (without consulting me, last they told me they would be asking for more info) and still trying to find out what that exactly means. 9mths and counting

In contrast car goes into the back of me last week in Oz (slow speed, so not much damage) - phone insurance company (the reckon they answer 9 out of 10 calls with 1 min, took over 20), spent about 30 mins giving details. Next day take car to assessment place, they provide taxi to pick up hire car (horrible little 3dr box, not easy to get toddler in & out of back when 39wks pregnant), 2 days later the car is ready to pick up, done at place so can easily drop off hire car. No money paid out, a bit of hassle, no claims not affected and as far as I am concerned there is nothing else for me to do. Done & dusted within 72hrs.

Now as I don't make it a habit to be involved in accidents I don't know if it was just bad luck in UK & good in Oz, if the above reflects or not the difference in how claims are handled in the 2 countries - just an observation

Our phone claim for recent run up ass by uninsured driver was easy too. The difficult bit is 3 week wait for parts, :confused: for a FORD !! then they want the bloody ute for a whole week to fix what is basically a dented panel, and a new panel and light installed.

jond Oct 17th 2006 1:40 am

Originally Posted by walaj

Hi

I have worked as an insurance assessor for 10 years both here and in the UK.

The problem with your 1st claim was that the third party disputed liability and they then have to keep going back and forth to his insurer. In those circumstances it quite often ends up as a knock for knock situation.

The 2nd one there was no despute on liabilty, all they have to do is confirm with the other insurer that the accident has been reported, recover any excess and hey presto repairs can go ahead.

John

Rob Morton-Jone Oct 17th 2006 8:15 am

I had a car accident (not my fault) on the Brisbane Road near Arundel in July. my 4 x 4 was a write off and got cleared funds in my account to pay for a new one 14 days after the accident.

I had a similar accident (again not my fault) August 2005 in the UK, and still to this day i am awaiting final settlement from the insurance company!!!!!!!:scared:
Just shows you how crap the UK insurance companys are

Rob

jond Oct 17th 2006 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
I had a car accident (not my fault) on the Brisbane Road near Arundel in July. my 4 x 4 was a write off and got cleared funds in my account to pay for a new one 14 days after the accident.

I had a similar accident (again not my fault) August 2005 in the UK, and still to this day i am awaiting final settlement from the insurance company!!!!!!!:scared:
Just shows you how crap the UK insurance companys are

Rob

Depends who you were with. Norwich Union, Direct Line and several of the other so called big ones are very slow to pay out, a lot of this is to do with putting the work offshore.

I worked for CIS and as long as everything was straight forward you would have a cheque within a week if your car was wrote off.