Car insurance?

Old Jan 19th 2010, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

vadear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance?

Hello!

We are soon to be moving to Australia and I am wondering what car insurance is like over there? Here in the UK it is phenomenal for 18 year old's. My son currently drives a Ford Fiesta ST. How much would it roughly cost him to insure a car like that in Australia? From what i have heard car insurance is the most expensive in the world in the UK.
Also, what is this i hear about not needing insurance? Its included in the registration, but it is only third party.

Thanks

Last edited by vadear; Jan 19th 2010 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Car insurance?

Compulsory Third Party Insurance

Compulsory Third Party is a compulsory insurance to cover Injury to Third Parties, that must be taken out when registering a motor vehicle.
It covers the owner or driver of the motor vehicle in the event of an accident against any legal liability or obligation that they may have to anyone that they injure, it only covers personal injury, it DOES NOT cover damage to other property, cars etc
Optional extra covers can be taken out with an insurer of your choice, it can be a different insurer to the above compulsory cover if you wish.
These covers are normally either Comprehensive cover or Third party Property with Fire and Theft.
http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/car-insurance/
Would your 18 year old want Comp cover or Third Party Fire and Theft

Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vadear
Hello!

We are soon to be moving to Australia and I am wondering what car insurance is like over there? Here in the UK it is phenomenal for 18 year old's. My son currently drives a Ford Fiesta ST. How much would it roughly cost him to insure a car like that in Australia? From what i have heard car insurance is the most expensive in the world in the UK.
Also, what is this i hear about not needing insurance? Its included in the registration, but it is only third party.

Thanks
As the mother of 3 teenage boys, I can assure you fully comp inusrance for any male of 18 years of age is going to cost you

Car loads of Kids wrapping themself round trees pissed or drugged up and speeding is a regualar thing here

6 years ago when eldest got lic the comp insurance was almost $5000 on a $6000 car, we got him third party damage instead, the personal injury insurance comes with the registration - CHECK that for each state, it may vary. Inusrance premiums since then have risen many times.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Just out of curiosity I did this quote:

Comprehensive Cover $1,924, without any No Claims Discount

The premium is based on market value.
The car insured is a 2008 Ford Fiesta Ghia 5dr Hatchback Man 1.6 Mpi Petrol
The Ford does not have a security device fitted.
The Ford has not been modified.
The Ford does not have any existing accident or hail damage.
At night, the Ford is parked in a garage at Victoria Point, QLD, 4165.
The Ford is used for private and commuting
The Ford is not financed.
The Ford has no non-standard accessories fitted.
The Ford has no factory options fitted.
The regular driver is a 18 year old Male.
The regular driver is single.
The regular driver has a NCD of none (rating 6)
The regular driver has not had motor insurance claims in the last 5 years.
The Excess for drivers under 21 is $1,200
The Excess for drivers over 25 is $500
With 1 years NCD the premium is $1,443

Old Jan 20th 2010, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Anne down under is an unknown quantity at this point

there aren't too many comparison sites in oz unfortunately for car insurance.

I got insurance from www.youi.com.au which has good quotes.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

vadear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Compulsory Third Party Insurance

Would your 18 year old want Comp cover or Third Party Fire and Theft
Third party fire and theft. Is there no option to do just Third Party? Not fire and theft?

Or is that included in the registration cost? There seems to be a lot of people searching for "Do you need insurance in Australia" on Google.
And wow at the insurance quote you did ABCDiamond! The same cost in the UK unfortunately.

Thanks!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:25 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised that *any* company will insure young Australians at all, at *any* price.

Youngsters are relatively poor risks anywhere, but there seems to be a culture here of being deliberately irresponsible on top of the lack of experience: obviously not all of them, but a worrying proportion.

The regular smashes that you see by the side of the road and on TV beggar description: I've never seen cars in such stages of disintegration anywhere else.

I just hope that these idiots kill only themselves and not innocent third parties.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:39 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

The insurance that comes with your rego is only to cover people.

Third party insurance is a good option if the car is not very expensive so it covers the damage of other property only, not your car.

My 19yo daughter got insurance through AAMI for $1100 for a $22000 car, thought it was quite reasonable for a younger person.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:36 am
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

What about bingle, has this been mentioned? They seem v cheap for comp insurance.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:42 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I am surprised that *any* company will insure young Australians at all, at *any* price.

Youngsters are relatively poor risks anywhere, but there seems to be a culture here of being deliberately irresponsible on top of the lack of experience: obviously not all of them, but a worrying proportion.
Ok Grandad.

Did you know young people now use skateboards in public places! It's a disgrace.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:47 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Ok Grandad.

Did you know young people now use skateboards in public places! It's a disgrace.
But he does have a valid point ... driving standards here are just about the only thing that annoy me on a daily basis.

Too fast, too close and sh*t scared of merging.

Generally.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:52 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
But he does have a valid point ... driving standards here are just about the only thing that annoy me on a daily basis.

Too fast, too close and sh*t scared of merging.

Generally.

That's not just young people though.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Try Budget direct. I'm happy with them (and their rates) and claims that I have made have all been handled well.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:56 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
That's not just young people though.
Aye, across the board with a tendancy towards tradies and Hyundais ...
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Aye, across the board with a tendancy towards tradies and Hyundais ...
Tradies, the same as White Van Man in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.