Reload this Page >

Car Insurance (457 visa)

Car Insurance (457 visa)

Old Jun 26th 2009, 4:10 am
Just Joined

heidishiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance (457 visa)

Hi All,

Sorry, I'm sure this question must have been done to death but I can't find anything on it. Been here in Perth a whole month and just in the process of buying a car. Can anyone advise on the best company for insurance if you're on a UK driving licence and 457 visa (if it makes any difference?)

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Heidi Shiraz
Old Jun 26th 2009, 4:50 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance (457 visa)

Originally Posted by heidishiraz
Hi All,

Sorry, I'm sure this question must have been done to death but I can't find anything on it. Been here in Perth a whole month and just in the process of buying a car. Can anyone advise on the best company for insurance if you're on a UK driving licence and 457 visa (if it makes any difference?)

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Heidi Shiraz
makes no difference what visa you are on - we took out insurance on our 457 and told them we had full no claims and that was all they wanted to know....
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by heidishiraz
Hi All,

Thanks for any help!

Cheers,
Heidi Shiraz
Swap your UK licence over for a WA one, you dont have to do a test they just punch your UK licence with a hole punch. being on a 457 does not matter best not to mention it to insurance or they will use it as an excuse to up the premium.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:28 am
Just Joined

heidishiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for your replies and take the point about not mentioning anything that will give them a reason to charge more

Cheers!
Heidi Shiraz
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

I may be wrong But I was under the impression that you could drive with a U.K licence on a 457 visa and didn't need to change it for an Oz licence until (if) you became PR?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:40 am
Just Joined

searlywhirly is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
you can drive on a 457 and buy a new car. if you want new new you go to the rta and get a number and then take it to the dealer. i had no problem at all
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
I was under the impression that you could drive with a U.K licence on a 457 visa
You can .....but you are only supposed to drive on your UK licence for 3 months and then convert to an Aussie licence. I have known people to drive for years on a UK or German licence....The only time it would matter would be when you had an accident.

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
visa and didn't need to change it for an Oz licence until (if) you became PR?
You can apply for an Aussie licence with any visa.... I had a NSW licence on my 417 WHV then my 457 Temporary... and now on my PR.

I have been pulled by the cops for speeding and I used my UK licence and avoided the points.... The Aussie licence is useful as proof of ID when applying for a loan etc etc
Old Jun 27th 2009, 1:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
You can .....but you are only supposed to drive on your UK licence for 3 months and then convert to an Aussie licence. I have known people to drive for years on a UK or German licence....The only time it would matter would be when you had an accident.
That only applies for Permanent Residents.

Those on a visitor visa can legally use their UK licence for as long as it is valid, and whilst they have a valid visitor visa.

In NSW, those on a visitor visa are not even able to apply for an Australian licence until they have been here for 6 months.

From what I recall, the car insurance premium is no different, at least with AAMI.

Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

In NSW, those on a visitor visa are not even able to apply for an Australian licence until they have been here for 6 months.
Not true..

I had my NSW Licence after being in the country for just 5 weeks on a 417 WHV...
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:40 am
ABCDiamond

Not true..

I had my NSW Licence after being in the country for just 5 weeks on a 417 WHV...
Sorry, but it is true...

From 18 April 2008, all new NSW licence applicants identified as temporary overseas visitors will be subject to the following licensing rules:

As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application.
How long ago did you get yours ?

Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, but it is true...

How long ago did you get yours ?
Feb 10th 2005
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:45 am
ABCDiamond

Feb 10th 2005
I think that was the year that I did my Driver theory test here in QLD, just before they changed the rules and no longer required it !!

Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

I think that was the year that I did my Driver theory test here in QLD, just before they changed the rules and no longer required it !!

I didn't do any test I walked into RTA with my UK Licence, passport and proof of address... Paid my $90 they took my Picture, Photocopied my UK Licence & passport/visa and then punched a hole in my UK Licence.

I then sent my UK licence back to the DVLNI and got them to change the address from my old house (sold before I left) to my mothers house, my mother then forward my new unpunched UK licence to me in Australia.

If I got stopped by the law I usually use my UK licence.... if I got caught on camera I use my NSW licence.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 7:09 am
ABCDiamond

I didn't do any test I walked into RTA with my UK Licence, passport and proof of address....
That was NSW, I was in QLD.