Car Insurance

Old Feb 13th 2004, 7:43 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance

Hi all, we have arrived in Sydney, take a look at www.ozdiary.com and read the latest diary entries for details of our trip!

OK onto the questions, can anyone explain how the car insurance works in NSW. We are going to buy a Landcruiser from a local dealer, can anyone explain a little about each of the following:

REGO - the dealer is putting 6 months REGO on the car but what exactly is this and how do I go about renewing it in the future?

Insurance - I have had a good quote for fully comp with AAMI, no problems here

Green Slip (CTP) - Do I need this in addition to the above?

OK last question, if my partner wants to drive the same car will I need to do anything other than add her to the fully comp insurance? ie will she also need a green slip?

Its little things like this that you take for granted in your home country but when you arrive here you have no idea! Still the weather is great so we aint complaining.....
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The rego is the annual car tax and the 6 months is what is left of that. Dealer is giving you nothing there.

You will be given some documents by the dealer (when you buy the car) which you take to the RTA. You will then pay the stamp duty and be given a registration document. Have a look at www.rta.nsw.gov.au for actual amounts and more info. Did the dealer mention the stamp duty to you?

A month before renewal the RTA will send you a new sticker and instructions on how to pay the next years registration.

CTP runs the same term as the rego. When I bought a car the CTP stays with the car and expires with the REGO. Before you can renew your rego you must have purchsed a new CTP for the following year. Have a look at www.nrma.com.au and www.aami.com.au for pricing quotes.

Cars over a certain age must also pass an MOT style inspection before rego can be renewed.

You can also purchase comprehensive insurance on top of CTP to cover theft etc.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 8:43 pm
Bubble blowing member

Many thanks for the reply, we didn't get told about the stamp duty but I had read somewhere about it so it was not that much of a shock.

If the dealer has put 6 month REGO on the car, does this mean that the CTP will also be included or do I need to buy this seperatly?

OK let me see if I understand all this now.....
The first thing is 3% Stamp Duty, you pay this to the RTA once you pick the vehicle up

Next there is a transfer fee to pay for the vehicle to be put into your name

You must have a green slip known as a CTP which provides cover for any injured persons in an accident, this is assigned to the vehicle, not the person driving

REGO (effectively a tax disk for anyone from the UK reading this), note you must have the CTP before you can obtain the REGO

If the car is over a certain age you must get a Pink Slip, similar the the MOT in the UK

Bye for now........
Old Feb 14th 2004, 9:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

With regards to rego and CTP the dealer is not giving you anything. The previous owner had already paid for that 6 months ago and there is still 6 months till expiry.

You will have to pay stamp duty (I cannot remember if there was a transfer fee or not). I am not sure about pink slips for transferring owndership.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Watch out if you plan to take up residence in another state, you need to change number plate and everything!

In 2 years we have had to change state (and therefore numberplate) on our car 4 times!

The rego/pink slip business also changes from State to State, ACT and Qld you just apparently need to get the car tested on initial registration, although certainly in the ACT you may be pulled over for a roadside inspection. Any defect at all and "its over the pits".

The Qld roadworthy certificate (eq. UK MOT) was a bit weird, the inspector insisted we change a perfectly good tyre as it had a different tread pattern, yet didnt insist we replace a perished suspension mount (the same guy pointed it out on a pre-inspection)

ACT also allows for getting rego for 3 months, 6 months or 1 yr (the CTP comes with the rego so no need to get it yourself. Qld you can get rego for 6 months or 1 yr, but you need to get your own CTP before registration.

Trev
Old Feb 15th 2004, 7:26 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Another tip would be to join, if you haven't already done so, the NRMA (equiv of Royal Auto Club). Can be very helpful if brokendown. They can also do inspections of the vehicle to advise on repairs that could be carried out before the warranty period ends and can back you up if you run into trouble with the dealer/repairer. In Qld costs about $110-$150 (check with NRMA for NSW prices), just to give you an idea. 4WD's especially are suseptable to body/suspension rust as people use them on the beach and don't have proper rust-proofing done.

Although safety certificates/roadworthies have been tightened up there is still oppotunity for dealers just to tick and flick the form without looking.

Also, if you are a member of a motoring organisation, they sometimes give discounts for CTP/comp ins plus other ie house/contents, travel and holiday accomodation. You are able to change CTP providers if you want to each time your rego is renewed.

About your partner driving, check with your insurer as some have age excesses and other requirements in the fineprint.

Best of luck in Oz.

Last edited by The Bloke; Feb 15th 2004 at 7:28 am.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 10:08 am
Bubble blowing member

Many thanks for the info.

REVS check came back OK today and we are having an alarm fitted and rustproofing done before picking up the car.

Will look into NRMA this week.

Thanks again all

Clare & Lee