Wikiposts

Car Insurance

Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:34 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by Ceri
And my major gripe, last but not least... People who brake all the time. instead of taking their foot off the accelerator to adjust their speed. On the motorways that's all I see is bl**ding brake lights... then it starts a chain reaction by the other cars behind the offending car.

I have a theory about the bad driving here... it's Automatic car drivers. Aus has got a high ownership of Automatics ... people who can't pass their test in a manual.... geeze it's just a rudy gear stick!..
You can blame the breaking thing more on cruise control (available on manual cars too) than auto boxes.

Auto boxes are great, inefficient but great. Manual shifting is soooo 20th century

Once car makers figure out how to do CVT (continuously variable transmission) properly (as with Audi's multitronic), the clutch pedal will be consigned to the museums.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:43 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshpom

Auto boxes are great, inefficient but great. Manual shifting is soooo 20th century
I'd never driven an automatic before coming to Oz and found it very strange when getting a hire car. I was going to buy a Ford Maverick but found it it wasn't even available in manual! I want to change gear when I want to, not when the car decides for me! And that braking thing, why do people do that? Presume it may be something to do with automatic cos you see people braking down hills all the time (I live in hilly area) when all you have to do is shift down a gear. Braking on the motorway (for no apparent reason) is the worst however.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info on expenses. Power sounds cheap over there. We are a big family, its winter time and run a spa pool and dryer as well and my power bill last month was $346 - no its not a mis print - thats one month. Average last year has probably been $250 per month. and theyre saying power prices could take a big hike upwards over the next 2 years. At least my wife will get down to a size 12 no probs. Wont be able to afford to eat if I stay here. Wife wont give up the spa tho. Graham in NZ
Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:55 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

You can blame the breaking thing more on cruise control (available on manual cars too) than auto boxes.

Once car makers figure out how to do CVT (continuously variable transmission) properly (as with Audi's multitronic), the clutch pedal will be consigned to the museums.

I knew someone would comment on that... an automatic driver . There are people here (and in Britain too) that can't pass their test in a manual.. if you can't pass in a manual it really does show that you have no control over the vehicle. I knew a woman once (my mums friend) she failed her driving test 7 times... she then tried for her test in an automatic... she passed easily. By the way she is a terrible driver and should not be on the road.

cheers

P.S give us a gear stick anyday.. I prefer driving a real car .. not a toy go-kart
Old Aug 24th 2003, 4:05 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
Thanks for the info on expenses. Power sounds cheap over there. We are a big family, its winter time and run a spa pool and dryer as well and my power bill last month was $346 - no its not a mis print - thats one month. Average last year has probably been $250 per month. and theyre saying power prices could take a big hike upwards over the next 2 years. At least my wife will get down to a size 12 no probs. Wont be able to afford to eat if I stay here. Wife wont give up the spa tho. Graham in NZ

I reckon my annual power bill willl be around $1000 or so (I hope no more). Got a bill recently for $250 for six weeks and was shocked, they corrected it down later. I think it probably avaerages around$100/month including running pool, dryer, WM, electric heaters and air con (on reverse cycle anyway!) for my 4 bed house.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 4:13 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by jayr
I want to change gear when I want to, not when the car decides for me!
Do you also like adjusting the air-con or fan every few minutes rather than let climate control do it for you ?
Old Aug 24th 2003, 5:29 pm
Karma Comedian

Do you also like adjusting the air-con or fan every few minutes rather than let climate control do it for you ?

Unforuntaely I have to as don't have climate control. Anyway, doesn't feel like your driving if you don't change gear manually.
Old Aug 25th 2003, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who wants to be changing gear every two minutes ? Driving in Perth city centre in a manual would drive me mental.

Auto's are so much more civilised.