Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car import mods for Aus

Car import mods for Aus

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:26 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Car import mods for Aus

I`ve heard that you have to have an immobiliser fitted before it`s accepted. Is this true?

Also, our Rav has kph & mph on the speedo, is that ok or will they want us to have the speedo changed?

Finally, we`re having trouble finding anyone who would insure an import. I`m surprised as it`s a car that is of no practical difference to the ones in Aus anyway. UK Rav4 is the same as the Aus Rav4 except for the number-plate and maybe the speedo (or maybe not).

Just trying to figure out the costs of any possible mods it may have to have in Aus. Shipping will cost £900 roro.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:40 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car import mods for Aus

Originally Posted by Stormz
I`ve heard that you have to have an immobiliser fitted before it`s accepted. Is this true?

Also, our Rav has kph & mph on the speedo, is that ok or will they want us to have the speedo changed?

Finally, we`re having trouble finding anyone who would insure an import. I`m surprised as it`s a car that is of no practical difference to the ones in Aus anyway. UK Rav4 is the same as the Aus Rav4 except for the number-plate and maybe the speedo (or maybe not).

Just trying to figure out the costs of any possible mods it may have to have in Aus. Shipping will cost £900 roro.
Dont know about the immobiliser but i understand that cars get hit big time by import taxes!!!

Also have you looked at the price of these on the oz toyata web site ?
They are a lot cheaper new over there than here, may work out better to sell yours in uk then buy one in oz!
Also does your rav4 have air con if not forget it.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:22 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

No aircon, but we`re from Perth orig. and are used to not having aircon. It`ll be a 2nd car anyway. It seems to be about the same price (or a bit less) for us to ship it than to buy a 2nd hand one in Aus (which we wouldn`t know was as reliable as the one we have).

If we can sell it here for a fair price then great. Otherwise it`ll have to go to Aus.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 4:51 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormz
No aircon, but we`re from Perth orig. and are used to not having aircon. It`ll be a 2nd car anyway. It seems to be about the same price (or a bit less) for us to ship it than to buy a 2nd hand one in Aus (which we wouldn`t know was as reliable as the one we have).

If we can sell it here for a fair price then great. Otherwise it`ll have to go to Aus.
Does your price here/price there take into account the import taxes ?
I dont know what they charge exactly but think i may be up to 40% plus gst as well :scared: some one on here will know for sure.

Also will be hard to sell in oz an imported car with no air con when the time comes.
Toyotas just keep on going normaly did you see the one on top gear that they tried to kill !!!! The thing refused to die, so think you can find a good one just get it RAC checked or something.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:13 pm
Superfreak!!

import tax is 15% of what the car was bought for (or what they think it`s currently worth if you don`t have your receipt).

We bought ours for £5000 in 2000 (@ $12,216)
15% of which is = £750 (@ $1,832 )
Then you add whatever it cost for the shipping to the import tax. £900 = @ $2,200 . $2,200 + $1,832 = $4,032.
The GST is 10% of that amount. 10% of $4,032 = $432.

Add the import tax and GST together and you have $2,264.

So the import&gst fees we have to pay. $2,264 = @ £927 .

Plus whatever they decide to charge for other fees like steam-cleaning or whatever (if they need to), and of course whatever a license plate will cost and insurance and guff like that... the normal things.

If anyone else has brought a car over I`d REALLY like to know a breakdown of the costs they ended up with.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 5:53 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, a breakdown of final costs would be good for me too.
Also STORMZ who have you got doing you a roll on roll off, I was told by someone they wouldn't do this for cars, and that the smallest they'd do would be large camper vans and caravans. For this reason I looked into containers, but your roll on roll off quote at $900 looks pretty good to me.
Cheers, Marie.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I looked at bringing my car from NZ but they were going to charge me import duties of 40% on it's origional value, plus shipping charge of $NZ2,000 plus it would have had to be registered here, steam cleaned and numerous other costs, so I just sold and bought again.

I don't understand why some people quote just 15% as I was def told 40%.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:35 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I looked at bringing my car from NZ but they were going to charge me import duties of 40% on it's origional value, plus shipping charge of $NZ2,000 plus it would have had to be registered here, steam cleaned and numerous other costs, so I just sold and bought again.

I don't understand why some people quote just 15% as I was def told 40%.

Hi, I'm one of those people that would cut my losses and leave the car in the UK and get a second hand one as soon as we get to OZ. However we bought the car as a non-runner in 2000 and my hubby has done practically all the work himself, practically everything is new right down to the paint work.It's a great car and runs as if it were new, it is actually a J reg. It holds a lot of sentimental value for my hubby and he doesn't mind paying the charges to export it. It's cost us a fortune to rebuild but like I said, the car is sound and there's no way he could leave it behind.
There is a big difference between 15% and 40%, anybody else know anything about this?
Marie
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Hi

Two things, first I suggest you do a search on 'Car Import' in this forum... Loads of threads and really useful info!

Second, try this link: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371 as it's the Oz Customs main web site for importing cars...

Hope that helps.

Gav
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 3:56 pm
Superfreak!!

ok, had a look and tried to decipher....

so if my car is worth $12,000 then customs is 10% of that ( $1,200 ).

Add the customs fee and the shipping fee together ( $1,200 + $2,200 ) = $3,400 .

Of which we have to pay 10% GST = $340.

So the final Import Tax + GST = $1,540 . Hopefully

That`s based on a car which was bought after 1998. For those bought before 1998 it seems like it`d be alot cheaper, as they take depreciation into account, rather than the initial purchase price like on mine.