Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Hire - Melbourne

Car Hire - Melbourne

Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:41 pm
giz
Forum Regular

giz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nice
Default Car Hire - Melbourne

We arrive in Melbourne on Thursday 21st.

I'm figuring that we need to hire a car for a few weeks. The simplest option will be to just hire a car from a place at the airport, but do you end up paying more, or is there little difference between this and hiring in the city somewhere?

Is there anything special that I need to bring with me (other than my UK dirvers license)?

Thanks
Gavin
Old Apr 16th 2011, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car Hire - Melbourne

Yep there is a airport surcharge from airports. Getting the car at Tulla may be convenient if you arrive outside normal office hours (a lot of the other offices in town operate with normal office hours only) If you have the time (and depending when you arrive) it would be cheaper to rent a car from in towm. Lots of offers if you look on line. One option if only doing local jorneys and don't mind an older car is to look at rent a bomb...older cars but cheap.

Re licence if a UK one remember to bring the paper portion as well as the plastic id card is no use with out it.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by giz
We arrive in Melbourne on Thursday 21st.

I'm figuring that we need to hire a car for a few weeks. The simplest option will be to just hire a car from a place at the airport, but do you end up paying more, or is there little difference between this and hiring in the city somewhere?

Is there anything special that I need to bring with me (other than my UK dirvers license)?

Thanks
Gavin
avis at blackburn, bayswater or preston... tell 'em davo sent ya
Old Apr 17th 2011, 8:53 am
giz
Forum Regular

giz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Icecube
Yep there is a airport surcharge from airports. Getting the car at Tulla may be convenient if you arrive outside normal office hours (a lot of the other offices in town operate with normal office hours only) If you have the time (and depending when you arrive) it would be cheaper to rent a car from in towm. Lots of offers if you look on line. One option if only doing local jorneys and don't mind an older car is to look at rent a bomb...older cars but cheap.

Re licence if a UK one remember to bring the paper portion as well as the plastic id card is no use with out it.
Thanks Icecube. That would have been a bit of a disaster as I didn't think about the paper part. After half an hour of hoking about I got it (with the 3 penalty points included :-( )

I'll just go for the rental from the airport as we arrive outside of office hours. When I think about it having 3 kids with us after a 24 hour flight, we need to take the hassle out of things as much as possible.

Thanks again.

Gavin
Old Apr 18th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giz
Thanks Icecube. That would have been a bit of a disaster as I didn't think about the paper part. After half an hour of hoking about I got it (with the 3 penalty points included :-( )

I'll just go for the rental from the airport as we arrive outside of office hours. When I think about it having 3 kids with us after a 24 hour flight, we need to take the hassle out of things as much as possible.

Thanks again.

Gavin
I would get a car from the airport with 3 kids too! Airport a bit of a trip out of the city and there's no train link........
Old Apr 18th 2011, 4:39 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

How many weeks is 'a few'? At the airport you only get the major companies - Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar, Thrifty plus maybe one or two more, and their prices tend to be fairly similar. Hire a car from them for a few days to give you time to find a local company in the 'burbs which will give you a better deal on a long-term rental.

Alternatively Google 'cheap car hire melbourne' and pick a company that offers airport pickup and transport to a car hire depot off-airport.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Apr 18th 2011 at 4:51 am.
Old Apr 18th 2011, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Red Spot, cars are available from airport and tend to be a little cheaper, although the cars are not so new.

The car we had had hail damage, so I guess they buy what is going cheap at the time.

Pete