Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car hire for family of 5 Perth (Secret Harbour)

Car hire for family of 5 Perth (Secret Harbour)

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

naomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nice
Default Car hire for family of 5 Perth (Secret Harbour)

Hi all, am being driven insane by car hire companies!!!!

We are a family of 5 moving out in Nov, have booked one month furnished rental in Secret Harbour and need to arrange a car for the first week till we buy one.

Car needs to fit three full size car seats as kids will be 7 months, 2 and 6. Some firms are offering Elantra's other's insisting we must have an SUV to fit the kid's seats along with 2 weeks minimum hire!

We were planning on bringing our childrens car seats but they have also advised car seats must be purchased in Australia or will be illegal.

Any families of 5 that could give me a definite answer of size of car to book, in the UK we have a scenic and mondeo and they fit fine in there.

Are there any airport transfer services anyone could recommend too as unlikely to fit all three kids, the luggage and me and my husband in a hire car or standard taxi.

Recommendations for car hire firms local to SH would be useful too.

Thanks in advance Naomi
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car hire for family of 5 Perth (Secret Harbour)

Can't advise about the size of a SUV. Hopefully someone will be along about that. I know we hired a seven seater when my mother was here because there was no way we'd get her, her wheelchair, my aunt, and two car seats into a SUV comfortably (along with all the other day packs etc.).

You will need to buy Aussies car seats once you've settled. I think we bought our kids' Aussie ones by the second week. Or live dangerously re: the legal liability thing. There's been other threads on it. As far as I understand it, if police ever check, they can fine you for using non-Australian compliant seats and if in an accident, it also may affect your insurance. I feel your pain with the two year old especially because we had done extended rear facing back in Canada, but there were no Aussie seats designed for rear facing a child older than 12 months, so when we moved here we had to buy an Aussie seat and flip him around earlier than we would have back in Canada.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:23 am
Just Joined

PerthParamedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Another way around the non-Australian standard seat problem could be getting a few once you arrive. I know it is a little more costly, especially if you need the full infant car seat, and not just booster seats for the tin-lids. All of the local department stores have a good range - Big W, Target, KMart.

Then you don't need to hire them with the car, and you'll be able to get a salon car. We drive an Elantra. I think you might struggle to get three seats across the back. It is all to do with the extra securing straps from the back of the car seat to the body of the car. Our Elantra only has two securing points in the boot.

Something in the Outlander/X-Trail size SUV would work I imagine.

Cheers,
PP
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hire companies appear to be pretty strict on the safety issues... Possibly because its their insurance that will be invalidated if,heaven forbid, you had an accident and your kids werent in australian approved car seats?

We went to rocko... But had to deliver the car back to No Birds at (?) burswood.... In the city...

Due to the amount of luggage and being 6 of us we hired two... One for three days the other for 10 days.... It was cheaper than having the big enough vehicle for 10 days.... And had space for all of us.....

Is the SUV they recommend a very different price? Also, how much are they charging for the car seat hire?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Just my experience...
WE hired from europcar from the uk, much cheaper and then paid in cash when we returned the car, saving a further $100
I hired 2 booster seats for my 7 and 5 year olds, they were the same as in the uk, then once here went to baby bunting and asked about seats, the girl was very knowledgeable, weighed my children and showed me the seats, I then chose the cheapest! But it's still far more secure than her English seat was, my 7 year old was judged heavy enough and tall enough to not need a seat, at 7 they don't need to have one.
We have bought a captiva, we would easily get all the kids in it Australian law is no car seats in the third row, there are no fixing points there.
Therefore would say you need a people mover (Mpv in uk) to ensure the 3 seats can go in the middle row.
Hope that helps?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

naomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies so far,

I have found a Subaru Forrester from Europcar with unlimited km's and extra insurance to avoid the $3500 excess at about £350 for the week. Pick up and drop off at the airport.

The car seats are on top of that and payable locally at $7 each a day and GPS at $9 a day I think.

Am wondering if we just organise a rental closer to SH as not sure either of us will fancy driving after the flight especially as I'm sure the three kids will take it in turns to ensure we stay awake!

Would we get a taxi at the airport big enough to fit us all in and the luggage?

Naomi
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Also, give yourself more than a week to find a car, the shock of the cost of them and jet lag may make too much pressure on yourself, it took our kids over a week to get into a sleeping pattern and to stop waking at 4 am...
And you have Medicare, rentals, getting used to the place to sort too...
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by naomilondon
Thanks for all your replies so far,

I have found a Subaru Forrester from Europcar with unlimited km's and extra insurance to avoid the $3500 excess at about £350 for the week. Pick up and drop off at the airport.

The car seats are on top of that and payable locally at $7 each a day and GPS at $9 a day I think.

Am wondering if we just organise a rental closer to SH as not sure either of us will fancy driving after the flight especially as I'm sure the three kids will take it in turns to ensure we stay awake!

Would we get a taxi at the airport big enough to fit us all in and the luggage?

Naomi
You could try
http://www.mymandurah.com/mandurahcityhirecars.html
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by billymacker
Thanks have just emailed them
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

I have used this mob
Code:
http://www.portkennedycarhire.com.au/
usually have older models also at lower again rates.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mulben
I have used this mob
Code:
http://www.portkennedycarhire.com.au/
usually have older models also at lower again rates.
Yes i contacted them they suggested an Elantra have emailed them back to see what bigger cars they have.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

( not being serious here )

you want big !
http://www.alistlimousinesperth.com/

On the serious side there are quite a few bus / taxi services from Mandurah that service the airports 10 + seaters , the mob above also run the service .
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

At what age do they not need a booster seat then? We have a 9 and 6 year old and leavig in 5 weeks, was going to take their UK booster seats for the initial couple of days, but may not if its not necessary.
thanks all
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lois1
At what age do they not need a booster seat then? We have a 9 and 6 year old and leavig in 5 weeks, was going to take their UK booster seats for the initial couple of days, but may not if its not necessary.
thanks all
They are required to be in booster seats up to 7 years or 26kg. If they are 7 or above but under 26kg they are to remain in booster until they reach that weight. Your UK ones cannot be used in Australia.They have to be Australian bought and certified. Annoying as we too was planning on taking our three seats. If you risk it and use them and have an accident you can invalidate your insurance.
Good luck with your move!
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mulben
( not being serious here )

you want big !
http://www.alistlimousinesperth.com/

http://www.alistlimousinesperth.com/...~element56.jpg

On the serious side there are quite a few bus / taxi services from Mandurah that service the airports 10 + seaters , the mob above also run the service .
I think i may struggle to park that!!!!
Thanks will contact them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.