Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Experts- 460,000km Too many?

Car Experts- 460,000km Too many?

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all
Default Car Experts- 460,000km Too many?

Found a campervan which suits our small family of 4, below are the details...any advice from the experts here-

The van is a 2001 model Toyota Hiace ‘Family 5’ Hightop campervan, with approximately 460,000km on the odometer.
For 17k-19k

Does this sound like a good deal?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:57 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all
Default Re: Car Experts- 460,000km Too many?

Originally Posted by punoo
Found a campervan which suits our small family of 4, below are the details...any advice from the experts here-

The van is a 2001 model Toyota Hiace ‘Family 5’ Hightop campervan, with approximately 460,000km on the odometer.
For 17k-19k

Does this sound like a good deal?
Phew!, don't know that I'd call it a great deal with 460,000 km. up for that's a huge ammount and for a 2001 model, it seems a bit strange for they would have to be doing about two/three trips around Australia per year to get that number up!
Even for a diesel engine it's quite a few km. and the Hi Ace poptop isn't a huge model.

I'd keep looking myself, maybe even a landcruiser and a fold up camper, even an off road trailer camper would be something you might be interested in.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all

Oh sorry forgot to mention, this offer is from a campervan rental company hence so many kms!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:49 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

No, it's not a very good deal with so many kms on the clock. Have a look on www.drive.com.au and you'll be able to see that you get the same model/year with half the number of kms for several $thousand less than what you've been quoted, and cheaper still from private sellers. Trust no-one!
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sorry forgot to mention, this offer is from a campervan rental company hence so many kms!
If it's putting you off buying it, it'll definately put off someone buying it from you.

I think there was a big thing recently about a campervan hire place leasing out vehicles which were unroadworthy, might have been 'Wicked', so i'd take the whole, "its got a full service history" story with a pinch of salt.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:03 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

My landcruiser diesel has 496,000 k on it & still goes strong but it is a 1984 vintage & only cost $2,000, I would try & knock them down on price if you're keen.
Attached Thumbnails Car Experts- 460,000km Too many?-img_0091.jpg  
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
If it's putting you off buying it, it'll definately put off someone buying it from you.

I think there was a big thing recently about a campervan hire place leasing out vehicles which were unroadworthy, might have been 'Wicked', so i'd take the whole, "its got a full service history" story with a pinch of salt.
I have never been put off by high mileage - especially m-way or country miles ...in a diesel, perhaps. In fact I get a perverse pleasure in running old cars - just to see. I was going to invest in my ute at 350k but then this little Saab came up for a song.

But 400k+ is OK when you've put it on, not when someone else has.

I'd bulk over 250-275(!) My 275 dollar Saab has 220k.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Actually there are hardly the type of van we want in the market. As we are 4 and kids need to sit behind we need a toyota hiace with 5 seats!
This is the company who is selling it-

http://www.campermanaustralia.com.au...campervan.html

We are after config 2

Thanks alot for the comments...really helps as I dont know anything about Automobile! P
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have never been put off by high mileage - especially m-way or country miles ...in a diesel, perhaps. In fact I get a perverse pleasure in running old cars - just to see. I was going to invest in my ute at 350k but then this little Saab came up for a song.

But 400k+ is OK when you've put it on, not when someone else has.

I'd bulk over 250-275(!) My 275 dollar Saab has 220k.
Will you stop bangin' on about that f***in' Saab! . . .
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:11 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Er - I thought that you had misplaced a comma in the km's on that vehicle...

I would personally not touch a vehicle with that many km's on it. Really its at the end of its serviceable life whilst not in age, in wear and tear.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozwanderer
Phew!, don't know that I'd call it a great deal with 460,000 km. up for that's a huge ammount and for a 2001 model, it seems a bit strange for they would have to be doing about two/three trips around Australia per year to get that number up!
Even for a diesel engine it's quite a few km. and the Hi Ace poptop isn't a huge model.

I'd keep looking myself, maybe even a landcruiser and a fold up camper, even an off road trailer camper would be something you might be interested in.
A 4wheel drive and an off road trailer camper seems like a good idea but I am a bit concerned about the camper getting very cold in winters. We start our trip in June n have a 2 year old n 2 mth old.
So confused..............
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A 4wheel drive and an off road trailer camper seems like a good idea but I am a bit concerned about the camper getting very cold in winters. We start our trip in June n have a 2 year old n 2 mth old.
Have you thought about a Mitsubishi Delica? - proper 4x4 with an 'MPV' body, normally set up for with eight seats which fold down into a double bed plus a camper railer for the adults.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:57 pm
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

In winter you want to be heading north where it's going to be warmer and you would be surprised how chilly the campervans can get too with minimal insulation and then in more summery weather they can be little hot boxes.

The other disadvantage with a campervan is that they really have bugger all living capacity and then you do not have your transport as a separate unit if you want to set-up somewhere a few days.

You'll be able to get a reasonable condition earlier model landcruiser for around $8000- 10,000 and a good enough camper trailer for the same; a good awning set-up for extra room and it never gets too bitterly cold in Australia that good a little fan heater and good sleeping bags cannot cope with.
A few poles and spacers for a good right over the top cover [some great durable materials available ] with airspace can have a good effect re them getting too hot in warmer weather and you can usually open up far more for ventilation with a trailer camper too.

The campervans are OK for the tourists hire and grey nomads with larger units if you have a couple of hundred grand to spare and just want to doodle along but otherwise the vehicle and trailer is way to go - far easier and comfortable drive than what a Hi-ace would be too.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozwanderer
In winter you want to be heading north where it's going to be warmer and you would be surprised how chilly the campervans can get too with minimal insulation and then in more summery weather they can be little hot boxes.

The other disadvantage with a campervan is that they really have bugger all living capacity and then you do not have your transport as a separate unit if you want to set-up somewhere a few days.

You'll be able to get a reasonable condition earlier model landcruiser for around $8000- 10,000 and a good enough camper trailer for the same; a good awning set-up for extra room and it never gets too bitterly cold in Australia that good a little fan heater and good sleeping bags cannot cope with.
A few poles and spacers for a good right over the top cover [some great durable materials available ] with airspace can have a good effect re them getting too hot in warmer weather and you can usually open up far more for ventilation with a trailer camper too.

The campervans are OK for the tourists hire and grey nomads with larger units if you have a couple of hundred grand to spare and just want to doodle along but otherwise the vehicle and trailer is way to go - far easier and comfortable drive than what a Hi-ace would be too.
Thanks!
Our budget is 20k-25k so this sounds like a good possibility. Any recommendation for Trailer camper? Sorry for asking again and again!
Are you in Brisbane? Is yes, you could find a good deal for us ) and we will pay for your services? ) as we really have no idea about this market.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

As you know from my other posts, I have a 1992 Hiace Camper with 340,000kms on it. Generally speaking 460,000 - 500,000kms even for a Toyota is getting on a bit, probbaly looking at a new / recon engine in it pretty soon.

If you know how to fix things yourself, then may be worth the risk at the right price ($12 - 14K)...but if you are thinking of taking it to a garage each time it needs something, probably look elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.