Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Eating Spider

Car Eating Spider

Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car Eating Spider

I dont like snakes and wife hates Spiders...and we are trying to move to a place full of them...having said that the other night a BIG huntsman...English version..... ran over the settee at my wife she just jumped up and started laughing...i had to get rid of it of course...point being if that can happen over here then its not worth worrying about if it happens there(only my view)
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:38 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Steve2438
I dont like snakes and wife hates Spiders...and we are trying to move to a place full of them...having said that the other night a BIG huntsman...English version..... ran over the settee at my wife she just jumped up and started laughing...i had to get rid of it of course...point being if that can happen over here then its not worth worrying about if it happens there(only my view)

Hey - a) Most are a lot smaller than you'll expect
b) Most will not bite you unless you do something
c) Most will run away

Badge

Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Badge
Hey - a) Most are a lot smaller than you'll expect
b) Most will not bite you unless you do something
c) Most will run away

Badge
Makes me feel a little bit better. :scared:
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:57 pm
JKA
Forum Regular

JKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the roughJKA is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation Re: Car Eating Spider

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
It is a real photo. They can measure up to 15cm across - just been trying to find pics that will will get their size into context - this is what I've come up with so far. There must be photos out there, just trawl the net.

D D
I really need to know, how exactly do you get rid of something that size??????????????????????????
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:00 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JKA
I really need to know, how exactly do you get rid of something that size??????????????????????????

You don't............................................. .........................................

You leave :scared:
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:36 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SoFunky
I've been reading up like mad since i got here last september, and our house has some fine examples of mean looking spiders. I've found a few huntsman in my shed, but they are smaller than expected.

the biggest spider i've seen to date was a red & white striped one in the garden. here's a pic

and then theres this weird grey thing

anyone know if these are orbs?
The top one looks like an orb weaver whilst the bottom is a huntsman.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:52 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
The top one looks like an orb weaver whilst the bottom is a huntsman.
Nah, the bottom one looks like it`s in a web, and also looks too small for a huntsman, and not hairy enough.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormz
Nah, the bottom one looks like it`s in a web, and also looks too small for a huntsman, and not hairy enough.
Looks like cracked flooring to me, no sizing reference points and looks about the right amount of hairiness. BTW A huntsman will spin some web when it is frightened.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:12 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
Looks like cracked flooring to me, no sizing reference points and looks about the right amount of hairiness. BTW A huntsman will spin some web when it is frightened.
It has some shadows under it`s legs from the light/flash, so it`s in a web I think. It also looks more like a roof than a floor. If it is a huntsman it would have to be the `badge` huntsman by the shape of it`s abdomen.

Here`s an interesting site for you Bondi, when you`re out walking in your woods late at night ...

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_sp...parassidae.htm
Attached Thumbnails Car Eating Spider-sparas3_small.jpg  
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:46 am
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

[QUOTE=Stormz]BTW A huntsman will spin some web when it is frightened.QUOTE]

Poor thing!

Love the piccies of spiders in the link you included. The camouflage of the Grey Huntsman is fantastic, youd never know it was there until you touched it and it scrammed up your the sleeve of your shirt in a panic!!! :scared:
Ive been doing a bit of reading and I didnt realise you got so many varieties.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

racheybabe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Can you buy Dyson's in Oz? That's exciting!

I did hear its cheaper to buy them here than in Oz.... so am taking ours with us........
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:19 pm
Settling in

SoFunky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormz
It has some shadows under it`s legs from the light/flash, so it`s in a web I think. It also looks more like a roof than a floor. If it is a huntsman it would have to be the `badge` huntsman by the shape of it`s abdomen.
It's definitely in a web, the boards you can see are in the roof of my veranda (The boards have about an inch and a half between them), it was about 3 inches with its legs.

Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:45 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

the more you look at them the scarrier they get. we were in the upper north shore for six months and didn't see any really big spiders. but we did see cockroaches, buggers. not funny trying to catch something that fast without wanting to look at it.
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JKA
Even ironing them doesn't work....... We were staying at my Sister in Laws farm in FNQ a couple of years back and she'd taken some washing in off the line for me.
I ironed one side of my daughter's shorts, turned them over to do the other side and a b****y huge spider ran out.
It ran off the ironing board and went and sulked under the sofa for a while.
My screaming didn't enhance the image of Brits abroad, let me tell you
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:53 pm
Superfreak!!

Originally Posted by ClareW
Even ironing them doesn't work....... We were staying at my Sister in Laws farm in FNQ a couple of years back and she'd taken some washing in off the line for me.
I ironed one side of my daughter's shorts, turned them over to do the other side and a b****y huge spider ran out.
It ran off the ironing board and went and sulked under the sofa for a while.
My screaming didn't enhance the image of Brits abroad, let me tell you
lol!!! haven`t heard anything so funny for ages!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.