Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Buying in WA Questions

Car Buying in WA Questions

Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of
Question Car Buying in WA Questions

Hi all,

Well we are off to Perth next week and our first job will be to buy a car for my wife. After hearing all the stories about used cars being very expensive we are going to be looking for a new small car and was after some advice from people in the know.

1. What small runabout cars should we be looking at? My wife has her eyes set on a Yaris and I have seen the Honda Jazz but are there any other nice little runabouts which we should be investigating?

2. We are going over on a 457 visa and are looking at doing 50% down and 50% on finance to get our credit rating going, is this likely to be a problem on a temporary visa? We do have the cash to pay for it outright but it will decimate our savings and leave us quite short so dont really want to do that.

3. If finance is available to us what rate should be we looking at roughly, ive read some horror stories of around 17-23% offered from the dealerships which is ridiculous but what is a "decent" rate at the moment?

4. For new cars in WA what are the hidden "on the road" extras? I've got about an additonal 15% on the sticker price in my head does that sound about right?

5. If we were to do 50/50 payment when discount should we be driving for off the sticker price? I got 10% off my last car in the UK through bartering is this going to be possible in Perth?

6. Does getting a Manual affect its resale value?

7. Should we look at Petrol or Diesel?

8. Anything else we should be aware of?

Really appreciate all the advice you can give us, my head is spinning around with all the questions I have about this move!

Last edited by ianhutch1; Feb 6th 2008 at 10:58 am.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:00 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Buying in WA Questions

two words..

john hughes vic park...trust me,you can trust them
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Hi all,

Well we are off to Perth next week and our first job will be to buy a car for my wife. After hearing all the stories about used cars being very expensive we are going to be looking for a new small car and was after some advice from people in the know.

1. What small runabout cars should we be looking at? My wife has her eyes set on a Yaris and I have seen the Honda Jazz but are there any other nice little runabouts which we should be investigating?

2. We are going over on a 457 visa and are looking at doing 50% down and 50% on finance to get our credit rating going, is this likely to be a problem on a temporary visa? We do have the cash to pay for it outright but it will decimate our savings and leave us quite short so dont really want to do that.

3. If finance is available to us what rate should be we looking at roughly, ive read some horror stories of around 17-23% offered from the dealerships which is ridiculous but what is a "decent" rate at the moment?

4. For new cars in WA what are the hidden "on the road" extras? I've got about an additonal 15% on the sticker price in my head does that sound about right?

5. If we were to do 50/50 payment when discount should we be driving for off the sticker price? I got 10% off my last car in the UK through bartering is this going to be possible in Perth?

Really appreciate all the advice you can give us, my head is spinning around with all the questions I have about this move!
No idea about cars, I am a bird!

Regarding finance. You should have no bother getting finance on a 457 but your loan will be limited to the duration of your visa. Also be aware there is no such thing as a good credit rating, only a bad one. Getting finance once doesn't help you get it again if that makes sense. Only if you default do you end up getting a bad credit rating.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

For a Yaris go to Big Rock Toyota in Balcatta ask for Tony Nughen tell him Colin sent you and you will be well looked after
Russ
Old Feb 6th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
two words..

john hughes vic park...trust me,you can trust them

I second that........................ no lemons and no problems; he backs every car he sells personally................... plus he is a nice bloke too albeit if he is Alan bond's brother-in-law.

Client of mine today bought a Hyundai Tuscan from him and she was really rapt with the deal and the service.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:26 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat
I second that........................ no lemons and no problems; he backs every car he sells personally................... plus he is a nice bloke too albeit if he is Alan bond's brother-in-law.

Client of mine today bought a Hyundai Tuscan from him and she was really rapt with the deal and the service.
two words from another big company in perth when the head gasket blew on my xtrail..up yours,i did'nt get that when i went back to john hughes with some minor problems,they couldnt do enough for me..

a tip from me...

get it right first time...it costs far less in the long run..
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

two words from another big company in perth when the head gasket blew on my xtrail..up yours,i did'nt get that when i went back to john hughes with some minor problems,they couldnt do enough for me..

a tip from me...

get it right first time...it costs far less in the long run..
Another good thing about John Hughes is they will come to you............. you don't have to traipse all the way down to Vic Park. They will bring a model you choose up to your place along with a data base of what they have in the yard. With John Hughes it's also all about after service care................... he makes a squillion dollars a year as his yards are the highest performers throughout Oz not just in WA...................... and to John Hughes the customer is always right.

Their service for warranty can be done on site at your home by a mobile bloke too........ not many dealerships offer that.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

We got our Tuson from Wild West Hyundai, Automotive drive, Wangara, they were 1st class, even lent us a car so we could get rid of our rental car until our car was ready, the guy we dealt with there was called Greg and hes Scotish, they have some good deals on at the mo for ex demos, worth a look.

Amanda
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:28 am
Banned

Originally Posted by flowergal
We got our Tuson from Wild West Hyundai, Automotive drive, Wangara, they were 1st class, even lent us a car so we could get rid of our rental car until our car was ready, the guy we dealt with there was called Greg and hes Scotish, they have some good deals on at the mo for ex demos, worth a look.

Amanda
nice one amanda,there goes my commission
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bobcat

Does John Hughes do Toyotas and Hondas? Yaris looks like a great little car, I'd go auto for easier resale.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:00 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Haggle like mad. You may get 20% on a used car if you are really good / lucky.

Don't waste $1K on the tinting/protection they try and push. Not really worth it, except window tinting, and that you can get done a lot cheaper yourself.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worzel
Haggle like mad. You may get 20% on a used car if you are really good / lucky.
20%
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:59 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

20%
If the salesman needs one more to make target for the month and it is 12.45 on Saturday the 31st you never know. Expect 10%+
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

nice one amanda,there goes my commission
Sorry mate, that why I just landed me a sales job !!!! Is now a working woman !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.