Reload this Page >

Car buying in QLD

Car buying in QLD

Old Nov 21st 2013, 10:42 pm
nmm
2 months until the move

nmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car buying in QLD

Might sound a silly question, but what's the car buying process in QLD? Is it the same as in the uk? Can you haggle on price? Typically how much are the listed price of used cars over the actual 'deal' price of the car?

What about MOTs? Is there an Australian equivalent? Anything that I should really be considering when buying a car in Australia that I wouldn't in the UK? What about colour, does white really make a difference in keeping it cool(er)?

So many questions, but just to make sure I'm well prepped when I venture in to the car buying process in Jan 2014.

Oh, one more thing...what about leasing cars? Is this common? Anyone got any good links/info on this?

Oh, last thing,promise, any ideas on the bargain( if there is such a thing) makes in Australia? Are the German brands expensive/overprced like they are in the uk? I would assume that the japanese( and other Asian countries) brands are relatively cheap? Is this so?

Thanks, in advance.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Car buying in QLD

Hey bud,
buying a car here is similar...you wont find many garages selling new cars with prices on though its up to you to negotiate, and when you've done that get in there and negotiate the interest on the finance too f@#$ em I do.. leave them with a migraine I say its your money. Try carsales.com.au before you buy. this will give you a great indication of pricing. bit like trading post I suppose. you'll always get a better deal private. there's no MOT here mate, however its illegal to sell a car without a road worthy certificate(aussie equivalent).if you have the car for ten years you don't have to get a road worthy until you sell it.
choice of car and what you do for a living?. Mistakes I made. Im a carpenter ,now with about $10,000 dollars worth of contracting tools. and what did I buy with $50,000 allocated to vehicles....??? a Mitsubishi outlander 4x4 and a little combo van. my expectation was to do a few locks ,ease a door fit the odd kitchen and window .... ez, the wife and kids could ride around in the 4x4........... what a f@#$ing idiot I should have bought a hylux 4x4 to get me and my tools around town and out to the rural areas and got the mrs a lancer or something don't buy a van unless you want to put pies in it ... its all there good for.
you don't have to take your test here either just exchange your pome licence for the aussie .you might have to do the theory one but hey .
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pome bstrd
Hey bud,
buying a car here is similar...you wont find many garages selling new cars with prices on though its up to you to negotiate, and when you've done that get in there and negotiate the interest on the finance too f@#$ em I do.. leave them with a migraine I say its your money. Try carsales.com.au before you buy. this will give you a great indication of pricing. bit like trading post I suppose. you'll always get a better deal private. there's no MOT here mate, however its illegal to sell a car without a road worthy certificate(aussie equivalent).if you have the car for ten years you don't have to get a road worthy until you sell it.
choice of car and what you do for a living?. Mistakes I made. Im a carpenter ,now with about $10,000 dollars worth of contracting tools. and what did I buy with $50,000 allocated to vehicles....??? a Mitsubishi outlander 4x4 and a little combo van. my expectation was to do a few locks ,ease a door fit the odd kitchen and window .... ez, the wife and kids could ride around in the 4x4........... what a f@#$ing idiot I should have bought a hylux 4x4 to get me and my tools around town and out to the rural areas and got the mrs a lancer or something don't buy a van unless you want to put pies in it ... its all there good for.
you don't have to take your test here either just exchange your pome licence for the aussie .you might have to do the theory one but hey .
It depends on which state you are regarding the requirement for a yearly road worthy certificate, eg in Vic you never need one unless you sell it.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Queensland vehicles don't need an annual inspection, but we do here in NSW. It's basically just a brakes / lights / steering check.
January is a good time to buy new cars because they often have a clearance of last years stock at good prices.

UK number plates indicate the year of manufacture and the plate basically stays with the car. A car in QLD can have several plates during its life so the plate doesn't at first glance indicate how old it is, check the manufacturers plate under the bonnet.

Generally, Australian second hand cars tend to be a lot dearer than their UK equivalent. No salt on the roads and generally drier climate so they last far longer and hold their value longer. Mate drives a 20 yo Volvo and it's immaculate.

If you have around 15k to spend you'd be crazy to buy second hand as most models now come with at least 3 years unlimited K warranties. Korean cars are cheapest, Kia and Hyundai, plus some Chinese models now on the market if you want to take the punt.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:34 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
January is a good time to buy new cars because they often have a clearance of last years stock at good prices.
Also June is another good time as dealers want to clear their stock before June 30 (for stocktaking).
I have found you can deal better on used cars if you are looking at a car that is not the primary make that the business deals - ie buying a Ford from a Nissan dealer.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 8:44 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
how old it is, check the manufacturers plate under the bonnet
The plate under the bonnet is usually the compliance plate which states that the car complies with Australian Design Rules, and the date on that will be the date it was imported into Australia. For the manufacturing date you will need to find the factory plate, which on mine is on one of the door pillars.

Bear in mind that there can be a considerable difference between the dates - on my current car it's 5 months, on a previous one it was 12 months! Fortunately the warranty runs from date of first registration, not the manufacturing date.