Car Buying

Old Oct 11th 2003, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Car Buying

We are considering buying a car in Melbourne and driving the last part of our ourney to Adelaide. Somoene told me that it is not a good diea because we would be charged huge amounts of money to re register the car in a new state. Melbourne being Victoria and Adelaide SA.

Can anyone tell me if this is true and how much it would cost to register it?

If its too expensive we may not bother and fly staraight to Adelaide.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 12:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Buying

Originally posted by podgypossum
We are considering buying a car in Melbourne and driving the last part of our ourney to Adelaide. Somoene told me that it is not a good diea because we would be charged huge amounts of money to re register the car in a new state. Melbourne being Victoria and Adelaide SA.

hi p/p try this site www.transport.sa.gov.au/index.asp try the rego section................. MM
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:37 am
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Our dog is going to melbourne for 30 days, you could'nt pick him up for us could you?

Mr Mover, how long is the drive from Melbourne to Adelaide?
Old Oct 12th 2003, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by CROSSY
Our dog is going to melbourne for 30 days, you could'nt pick him up for us could you?

I'd be happy to CROSSY.... we are real doggie people...but it depends when he is released..LOL
Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd be happy to CROSSY.... we are real doggie people...but it depends when he is released..LOL

BTW.. thanx for the info Mr Mover
Old Oct 12th 2003, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Forget hiring the car. Instead catch the "Groovy Grape" tour bus. We had a fantastic four days tour, taking in the sites of The Great ocean road and stopping over in various towns.
There's room for around 12 people on the bus. You get to meet people from different nationalities who are holidaying in Oz. The cost was $400 back in 2001. That includes everything from food to accomodation. We stayed in some great places, all budget, but really clean and friendly.
I really recommend anyone to use them if your heading in either direction from Adelaide to Melbourne.
Tazzy
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CROSSY

About 9-10hrs, 800km can be a bit scary at night ,as the road has a lot of heavy transport on it.... MM
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:09 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Car Buying

Can anyone please provide some advice or post a link that might help me?

I'm hopefully migrating to Adelaide around August next year and have a validation trip booked for a month in February. My family and I will be staying with my sister but she's worried that because she can't get much time off work, we'll be stuck without transport and won't be able to do everything we'd like to do on the validation trip. I'll be with my two teenage daughters and my grandson aged 1 so our own transport would be preferable.

My problem is that although I have a full UK licence, I'm partially disabled and can only drive an automatic that's been adapted so that I can drive with my left foot only - so I can't usually get hire cars that I can drive. My sister's car is a manual so I can't get her to have hers adapted and borrow that, even if she could manage without it.

I've been thinking how to overcome this problem and the only solution I can think of is to buy a car when I arrive in February, get it adapted (no idea where yet - I hope I can find a garage that does disabled adaptions in Adelaide!), drive it for the month and then get my sister or one of her family to look after it for me until I go back over in August.

Can anyone advise if I could buy, insure and register a car using my sister's address as a base even though I won't have actually migrated yet?

And will the three months I can drive on my UK licence start from February if I do?

Or can anyone come up with a better solution? I can't really afford to buy a car before I sell my house so will need to borrow the money; a cheaper solution would be good.

Any suggestions would be welcomed,

Elaine
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Elaine

I wont be in Adelaide for another 4 weeks so i cant really help you too much at the moment.

I do think however, that if you do go ahead with buying a car, get your sister to buy it. It will make life a lot easier. If you give her the money and she stores it, you ccan "borrow" it when you go over.

I think you raise an interesting point for disabled people.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:28 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Elaine M
Can anyone please provide some advice or post a link that might help me?

I'm hopefully migrating to Adelaide around August next year and have a validation trip booked for a month in February. My family and I will be staying with my sister but she's worried that because she can't get much time off work, we'll be stuck without transport and won't be able to do everything we'd like to do on the validation trip. I'll be with my two teenage daughters and my grandson aged 1 so our own transport would be preferable.

My problem is that although I have a full UK licence, I'm partially disabled and can only drive an automatic that's been adapted so that I can drive with my left foot only - so I can't usually get hire cars that I can drive. My sister's car is a manual so I can't get her to have hers adapted and borrow that, even if she could manage without it.

I've been thinking how to overcome this problem and the only solution I can think of is to buy a car when I arrive in February, get it adapted (no idea where yet - I hope I can find a garage that does disabled adaptions in Adelaide!), drive it for the month and then get my sister or one of her family to look after it for me until I go back over in August.

Can anyone advise if I could buy, insure and register a car using my sister's address as a base even though I won't have actually migrated yet?

And will the three months I can drive on my UK licence start from February if I do?

Or can anyone come up with a better solution? I can't really afford to buy a car before I sell my house so will need to borrow the money; a cheaper solution would be good.

Any suggestions would be welcomed,

Elaine
Elaine contact this organisation they should be able to point you in the right direction..www.dircsa.org.au just click on the link and follow directions.......... MM
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey podgy, is that you in your avatar!?!?!?!??! Cool glasses!
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Hey podgy, is that you in your avatar!?!?!?!??! Cool glasses!

Yes tis moi! ...

i not a full time wearer, but i need new ones.
Old Oct 12th 2003, 11:45 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

My niece wears a pair like that .. they look so good on her, suit her perfectly, like yours do you!
Old Oct 13th 2003, 7:22 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Car buying

Thanks podgypossum and mr mover,

You've both given me something to work on - esp the website, mr mover!

I've got several possibilities to explore now, and I'm sure I can sort something out.

Thanks,

Elaine