Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car Brokers - Anyone used one? Advise?

Car Brokers - Anyone used one? Advise?

Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Pergidah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Brokers - Anyone used one? Advise?

Hi Everyone!

Thinking of buying either a Toyota Camry Altise (Auto) or a Corolla Conquest (Auto)... Heard it's about the same price drive away...

Anyway, can't bear the thought of wheeling and dealing with the dealers... Anyone used a car broker (A1, Private Fleet, etc) to buy a car before? How much does it cost? Any recommendation on who to use?

Any response is much appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers!
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Car Brokers - Anyone used one? Advise?

Er... anyone at all?
Old Jun 18th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pergidah
Er... anyone at all?
Sent you a pm.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pergidah
Er... anyone at all?
We used A1 a while back and they were really good. Due to impending family addition, we are now looking at getting a 7-seater - probably a Hyundai Santa Fe and we will use them again. Just the thought of dealing with the slimy sales rep who shook my hand at the local dealer when I went into to get a brochure makes me shudder.

Mark
Old Jun 18th 2007, 4:10 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

How long before you flew out to Australia did you order the car with A1?

Could you write a bit more about the process, if you don't mind? Anything you'd do differently with hindsight?

Gina
Old Jun 19th 2007, 7:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mbike
We used A1 a while back and they were really good. Due to impending family addition, we are now looking at getting a 7-seater - probably a Hyundai Santa Fe and we will use them again. Just the thought of dealing with the slimy sales rep who shook my hand at the local dealer when I went into to get a brochure makes me shudder.

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the information. I'm looking at car brokers because I can't stand the thought of dealing with slimy sales reps as well

Rgds,

Perg
Old Jun 19th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I used Carbrokers and also checked for offers directly with dealers.
Carbrokers managed to beat them fractionally, but better than nothing and the dealer was offering a great deal at the time.

I would use them again. The ones I know of are Carbrokers and cars4u (I think this is the right name!)
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Sorry to jump in - but how much does the car broker charge and is it only on new cars they have this service?

Nic
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GinaUK
How long before you flew out to Australia did you order the car with A1?

Could you write a bit more about the process, if you don't mind? Anything you'd do differently with hindsight?

Gina
Hi Gina and Perg,

I asked Chris at A1 how they went about getting the best price and this is what he wrote back:
<starts>
To obtain the absolute lowest price, we use the following proven best method:
1. We establish a Reserve Price, and communicate this to you. It is below the retail price and as close as we can confidently get to the final price as we can.
2. If you approve of the Reserve Price, we then conduct a reverse auction where each dealer will be aware of what the current lowest bid is, and we continue to solicit lower bids.
3. Once we get to the point where no dealer is prepared to go lower, we conclude the process and place your order.

As you can see, this is much like any other auction, and we have found that dealers will respond with aggressive pricing.

If your new car purchase is contingent upon the sale of a trade in, we organise for a Licensed Valuer to assess it and ascertain the highest price for immediate disposal. Our aim is to make your transaction completely seamless in regards to the trade in.
<ends>

When I used them it cost 30 odd dollars, now it seems to cost only 4.95 (?!). Chris was straight up and honest with us and got us a top spec Grand Vitara (OTR price then was 36k) for 32K OTR. Hence my enthusiasm.

We did everything in a week after we had arrived here. All via the net and email. We test drove before we contacted A1 and then picked up the car from the "winning" dealer at the end of the process.

I think they can also do it if you are still in the UK but you would need to check.

Hope this helps

Mark
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:57 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mark,

thanks for your brilliant post! That really helped. Will send you some karma .

We're thinking of test driving the car here in the UK and then contact Chris to see if he can get us one. If possible for our second day in Oz, then we can save ourselves the hire car charges.

Thanks again for your post.

Gina
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Mark and Christine, thanks for the replies!

I've looked at the A1 website again and they seem to be the same as Carbrokers... ?

Anyway it does look like it cost $4.95 now. It that for real?!!!

Nic, on the website, there's an option for used cars as well

Gina, good luck with your car!

Cheers,

Perg
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Hi Perg

Thanks

Nic