Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car boot sale today - aarrrgggghhhhh!

Car boot sale today - aarrrgggghhhhh!

Old May 1st 2005, 4:03 pm
Sydney bound!

JF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the rough
Default Car boot sale today - aarrrgggghhhhh!

Hi all

Wife and I decided yesterday (Sat) that we ought to try and sell some of our worldly goods at knock down prices at a car boot sale seeing as we won't be taking them to Oz - in fact we were quite looking forward to it.......fools!!

We got up this morning full of beans and rammed the car full of bargains. We decided to adopt the mentality of "....well, we won't be taking this stuff with us so anything we get for it is a bonus..." Seems like some people don't know a bargain when they see it!

This was the first time we've done a boot sale and we've now concluded there are some very odd people out there! From the people who are offered something for nothing and still want a discount to the people who figure if something is that cheap there must be something wrong with it! Whatever happened to the milk of human kindness?!?!? We try and help people out by selling cheap and they're suspicious!!

Spent all day on our feet and come home to find a few tins of Stella in the fridge and neck them at a healthy pace! Now we're out of beer, too drunk to drive and its only 5pm!!!!!! What a day!

Has anyone got any karma to spare?!?!

Cheers
JF and Mrs JF!
Old May 1st 2005, 4:24 pm
Quiet one in the corner

kendra1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Car boot sale today - aarrrgggghhhhh!

Originally Posted by JF²
Hi all

Wife and I decided yesterday (Sat) that we ought to try and sell some of our worldly goods at knock down prices at a car boot sale seeing as we won't be taking them to Oz - in fact we were quite looking forward to it.......fools!!

We got up this morning full of beans and rammed the car full of bargains. We decided to adopt the mentality of "....well, we won't be taking this stuff with us so anything we get for it is a bonus..." Seems like some people don't know a bargain when they see it!

This was the first time we've done a boot sale and we've now concluded there are some very odd people out there! From the people who are offered something for nothing and still want a discount to the people who figure if something is that cheap there must be something wrong with it! Whatever happened to the milk of human kindness?!?!? We try and help people out by selling cheap and they're suspicious!!

Spent all day on our feet and come home to find a few tins of Stella in the fridge and neck them at a healthy pace! Now we're out of beer, too drunk to drive and its only 5pm!!!!!! What a day!

Cheers
JF and Mrs JF!
hi have sent you some karma, we know exactly how you feel, we had our car boot sale just a few weeks ago.
K x
Old May 1st 2005, 4:28 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JF²
Hi all

Cheers
JF and Mrs JF!
lol, funny folk about, to be sure.
Old May 1st 2005, 5:34 pm
kez
Forum Regular

kez is on a distinguished road

i was going to do a car boot sale tomorrow but now im not so sure - might see if i can set the kids up on it and go home for a cuppa.

i am off to the pub tonight so i will have a couple on your behalf - not much help but im a bit useless on the Karma side as well, tried to do it but nothing happend. Do i have to have karma in order to give it to someone else? never heard of it before.
Old May 1st 2005, 7:01 pm
Sydney bound!

JF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the roughJF² is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kez
i was going to do a car boot sale tomorrow but now im not so sure - might see if i can set the kids up on it and go home for a cuppa.

i am off to the pub tonight so i will have a couple on your behalf - not much help but im a bit useless on the Karma side as well, tried to do it but nothing happend. Do i have to have karma in order to give it to someone else? never heard of it before.
Much obliged for the karma guys, I needed that! Managed to find two bottles of Pinot Grigio and they have suitably dulled the senses!
Old May 1st 2005, 7:17 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JF²
Much obliged for the karma guys, I needed that! Managed to find two bottles of Pinot Grigio and they have suitably dulled the senses!

I tried car boot sale and you get some Jippo offering 50p for a tenners worth of pottery or something., I have found a way to take the pain away from actually leaving your house. Place ads for free, they get a number to call 't which isn't your number, but is directed from another number they see on screen. all you need isa digital camera,, take some pics and watch the e-mails come in making offers.... Weigh the goods then go onto postal service website, find out cost to weight ratio and bobs your uncle,

http://uk.freeads.net/.php

Try it... may be usefull, works for me.
Old May 1st 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

lynne & steve will become famous soon enoughlynne & steve will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JF²
Hi all

Cheers
JF and Mrs JF!
Hi
We to are in the same boat as you guys!!
We placed some of ours in our local "friday -ad", easy and free if goods are under £53.00. People came round our house, most didn't barter just paid "thank you very much", one geezer even paid us £5 over what we were asking !! cool, we were gob smacked to say the least!!!!
Most of the expensive stuff went on ebay- most of that sold also but alot of people got alot of bargains....
Also stuck loads of cards up in our local supermarkets.

Good luck everyone, it is not easy at times seeing your whole life on show.
Lynne & Steve
Old May 1st 2005, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

tootiepoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all you fellow carbooters, we did our first one last sunday morning, must admit was plesantly surprised, raised more that we thought, but still had the people who felt is was a rip off if you asked for more than £2 for anything. I say first as we will probably need to go to about 10 more if we are to rid ourselves of all the stuff I have hoarded. Still have got to August 3rd, that is when we fly to Perth, to get shot.
Best of luck to all you faithful floggers out there.

Kate
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:05 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We did a car boot on Sunday too. (Well Sam did, there's no way I am getting up at 6am on a Sunday morning). She raised £170 and came back with 2/3rds of what she went with which is now clogging up the garage. We (she) will probably have another go in a couple of months.

In our experience large items are best sold in the paper as you won't have room in the car.

Videos/CD's/toys/books/clothes (kids' and womens' but not mens') sell well at car boots.

Anything remotely collectable and small enough to post is best sold on e-bay.

Before we leave we will have a garage sale to get rid of garden equipment that we can't be bothered to clean. Most of this stuff will be needed until the last minute.

Anything still left will be offered to charity shops.

As a last resort we will take stuff to the tip and the council will collect large items for free if you call them.