British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   car boot sale (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/car-boot-sale-323756/)

robos Sep 2nd 2005 8:40 am

car boot sale

did anyone have a car boot sale to get rid of stuff they couldnt take with them ?

we are thinking of doing one and just wondered what everyone else did with their un wanted stuff

jan & gaz xx :)

webgum Sep 2nd 2005 8:51 am

Re: car boot sale

Oh yes, we car booted big time. Filled the back of the ute and got rid of tons of stuff in one hit. Made a good few hundred pounds, but there were some hardened black country hagglers as I recall. The thing that doesn't seem to sell at those things is books. Good books too (in my opinion). The charity shop did well for those.
Also gave some furniture to a council project for people trying to set up home with no money.

Still managed to fill a 20 foot container after the purge mark you!.

Also had good luck with the local free ads - sold washing machine/tow bar/car ramps.

Oh god, and I sold a bit on Ebay.

Thanks for reminding me how hard I worked. I had honestly forgotten what a stress it all was. :)

DSC_AU Sep 2nd 2005 8:53 am

Originally Posted by robos
did anyone have a car boot sale to get rid of stuff they couldnt take with them ?

we are thinking of doing one and just wondered what everyone else did with their un wanted stuff

Gave some to my relatives and rest to charities :)

webgum Sep 2nd 2005 8:55 am

Originally Posted by DSC_AU
Gave some to my relatives and rest to charities :)

Oh god yes, I gave all my kids clothes to my sister, the TV and DVD to my mum !!

bridiej Sep 2nd 2005 8:56 am

We're going to have a garage sale once the shippers have been

<")))>< Sep 2nd 2005 9:15 am

Blimey, car boot has been a breath of fresh air. The space afterwards..... ahhhh

We've done 2 so far, and got rid of all the stuff that was borderline (coming or not coming)....you know the kind of thing; kids toys, big lumps of furniture that you've never liked, that hideous jumper you got for your birthday last year !!

The quibblers and hagglers at the car boot sales make me laugh though. I actually had a guy who tried to knock off 10p on a 30p book about penguins. I said "mate, you're tighter than a crabs' ar*e underwater" and he walked off with it without saying a word. That was worth 30p :D

Good luck with it......car boots have been big fun for us. Roll up , roll up...come an' get yer useless junk to fill up your attics 'ere. Prices start at 5p.

worzel Sep 2nd 2005 9:49 am

Sold Sam's car on ebay and half a dozen other things like furniture
Sold garden stuff mostly in the local paper
Sold some furniture etc to family
3 car boots over 6 months (c£250)
Charity shop today with anything worthy
Half a dozen trips to the tip and more to come

Probably raised almost a £grand (excluding the car) and saved £2grand by having a smaller container as a result

Centurion Sep 2nd 2005 10:56 am

Currently a rather large skip parked on the driveway and me on a teabreak from lugging crap into it :)

helinuk Sep 2nd 2005 11:05 am

Ebay was ok- sold things I didn't think would go and got left with 5 items I was sure would sell?!

I've got 3 boxes of stuff in the dining room and more to come out of loft that I think we should car boot, but hubby says it won't be worth the trouble and £6 entry fee? What do you think? :confused:
Did you have high value items to sell at car boot to make it worth doing?

Mrs JFW Sep 2nd 2005 11:24 am

What stuff sells best at car boots sales? My hubby wants to get rid of all the cr@p we have cluttering up our house. As long as he doesn't get rid of my CD collection just yet....not before he gets me an ipod anyway! ;)

Hutch Sep 2nd 2005 2:23 pm

Going this saturday - been and bought me trestle table all ready for the might sale. Got kids toys, various computery bits and bobs, boogies boards (been promised nice new one out in oz), travel cot - all sorts of shite really. The wife's parents are having the sprog for the day. Looking forward to it really :)

ali south Sep 2nd 2005 2:45 pm

we did! it was exhausting, took days to prepare

although we cleared loads of stuff we were still left with mountains of bits and bobs

most annoying thing was people asking for a reduced price when we had the items priced sooooo low

will do a house clearance sale for furniture and have some items on ebay
Tara

Kevhaze Sep 2nd 2005 2:56 pm

I did a couple of car boots, the first one was quite successful; I made about £80. But it was quite depressing when I had to pack up and I realised how much stuff I still had. But I knew that I still had stuff at home that I just didn't have room for in the car, so I had to do a second one.

There were a couple of items that I couldn't car boot, so I advertised them in the local paper. I'm not usually successful with this so I was pleasantly surprised when I had a phone call about a weights bench that I had advertised. So earlier that day I had set up the bench and weights in the garage along with the cot that had been set up earlier in the week.

The guy turned up with his girlfriend. I hadn't really taken a lot of notice of the girl-friend as we went into the garage to look at the weights bench. It only turned out that she was expecting and was very interested in the cot. Got the asking price for both. Then later in the week I managed to sell a dehumidifier for the asking price. I think I must have been on a roll :D

Shame the house didn't go the same way. lol

Hazel

Gjn200 Sep 2nd 2005 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by webgum
Oh god yes, I gave all my kids clothes to my sister,

Did they fit?

karenjc Sep 2nd 2005 4:38 pm

We have had 3 car boot's so far and once we move out this weekend we will have another with all the stuff that we are not taking with us. The stress :D