Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the car body repair trade slowing down in Oz?

Is the car body repair trade slowing down in Oz?

Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is the car body repair trade slowing down in Oz?

Hi,
my hubbie is a car painter here in the UK and has reported a big slow down in the amount of work he has had in the last 6 months. He has been doing it 20 years and reckons that when times are hard financially people don't bother to get their car panel beaten or resprayed if they've had a prang or a crash.
Are there any car painters or panel beaters in Oz that have noticed a slow down in work due to the struggling economy?
Just trying to be prepared & realistic about hubbies chances of getting work in Oz.
When we first started planning our move to Oz the feedback was always so positive about jobs for him, but not so sure now.
Many thanks.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the car body repair trade slowing down in Oz?

Can't help you directly with and answer, but the way people drive there will always be a demand!

But seriously, around where I work there are so many panel shops, accident repairs, etc....I can't see how they all have enough work work to keep them going, I just don't see enough bumps for the number of repairers.

Hope somebody in the trade can give you a better answer.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am an Insurance assessor and there has been a slight slow down in the last couple of months, but most of the panel shops are still pretty busy.

There a 2 reasons why your Husband shouldn't worry about getting a job

1 There is a massive shortage of skilled labour in panel shops.

2 The aussies driving standards are crap and the can't seem to keep a car on the road for any given lenght of time so there is alway work out there.

John
Old Nov 30th 2008, 8:40 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi,
my hubbie is a car painter here in the UK and has reported a big slow down in the amount of work he has had in the last 6 months. He has been doing it 20 years and reckons that when times are hard financially people don't bother to get their car panel beaten or resprayed if they've had a prang or a crash.
Are there any car painters or panel beaters in Oz that have noticed a slow down in work due to the struggling economy?
Just trying to be prepared & realistic about hubbies chances of getting work in Oz.
When we first started planning our move to Oz the feedback was always so positive about jobs for him, but not so sure now.
Many thanks.
My daughter will keep him in work.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
My daughter will keep him in work.

My OH has a go as well
Old Dec 1st 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys! I think I've kept him in work myself with all my prangs - only problem is I don't pay him!