Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Car advice - Sun, Rain damage....

Car advice - Sun, Rain damage....

Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:43 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Car advice - Sun, Rain damage....

Bought a car today, nice motor, got a few quid off due to the roof being discoloured. The paint is still the same colour as the rest of the car, it's just the rest of the car is nice and shiny, whereas the roof is very dull, dirty looking, as if the sun has shone on it too much and water rain marks have left there mark on the roof rub your finger over it, your finger goes black with dirt, the paint has no shine underneath. You rub the surface, there is still paint underneath, but its not shiny, and very dirty looking. Sort of spoils the look of the car...

Any advice of what to use to bring the surface of the car roof back to life or near its orignal condition?

Any advice much appreciated.....
Old Jul 5th 2012, 11:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car advice - Sun, Rain damage....

Is it a Mitsubishi?

I've got a 98 Magna and the roof is ****ed, all the laquer has flaked off. Still goes OK though.

Probably need a respray to make it look nice again.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If a respray is out of the question, just have a go with some T Cut, should bring up whatever shine is left.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If a respray is out of the question, just have a go with some T Cut, should bring up whatever shine is left.
Agreed....this is what a metal polish does....

I have done this to cars...bit of elbow grease would not harm anyone....
Old Jul 6th 2012, 12:03 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Cheers Pen....

Gonna sound a right tool, but where can you get T Cut from over here?

I thought of T Cut, then some wax polish, do you reckon this would fix it?

Would pop down to Halfords in the UK, where's the best place to get Car accessories from over here......Looked in Crazy Daves, only clean and shine....

Another thing,this car has only done 36,000 kilometers, the interior sort of proves it really, no or very little wear and tear, one owner from new, six years old, its pretty clean, someone owned it and never really loved it, just used it...

There is only one service stamped in the book which was done last week, the only one since the purchase date.....But we were assured the local family garage/mechanic serviced it three times in six years prior to this.....

Drives ok, clutch bites halfway up, woman driver, maybe riding the clutch, a couple of dents, small.....I think its genuine, seems it...

Thoughts?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of auto spare shops around - Super Cheap Autos, Bunnings probably do it and I think Woolies sell one. Not called T Cut over here and I can't remember the name of the one we have but it's in a black plastic bottle.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

For smaller areas I've used Turtle Wax's Scratch and Polish. It comes in a green plastic container. I would say that 36,000kms without a log book service is stretching it.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 11:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by discobay
I would say that 36,000kms without a log book service is stretching it.
Apparently had three services, but by a mechanic rather than a dealer garage, so no service stamp....Would you take his word?
Old Jul 7th 2012, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

It's not so much about his word but the stamp from a garage authorised to do log book services according to the manufacturer's guidelines. Without the stamp there's no proof that a service was carried out which will affect any warranty claims (how old is it) and may put off any buyers when you come to selling.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 7:16 am
Just Joined

marcuss1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Is it a Mitsubishi?

I've got a 98 Magna and the roof is ****ed, all the laquer has flaked off. Still goes OK though.

Probably need a respray to make it look nice again.
I think you are talking about my car..

despite it is old but it still work fine, I'm in love with it..
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Don't t-cut it, it'll remove more paint.

It'll need to be sprayed and re-laquered.

Or have you thought of a vynal wrap? I know nothing about this company (first hit in google) but you'll get an idea :-

http://perthvehiclewraps.com.au/
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carling black label
Apparently had three services, but by a mechanic rather than a dealer garage, so no service stamp....Would you take his word?
Have you got the invoice?

I'd not worry about the stamp, as long as there is a record of what was done and when.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

I've used something like T-cut called 'Kitten Cream Polish', got it at supercheapauto about $10ish a tin.
I always give it a couple of layers of wax afterwards to give it a little protection.
Agree that FullServiceHistory is not FSH without the paperwork.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:06 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mate you live in Queensland,people will think yer minted
Old Jul 18th 2012, 10:25 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

SuperCheap
Repco
AutoBarn

All good suppliers of car stuff. Discoloured roofs and bonnets are always going to be a problem in Queensland if the car is parked outdoors during the day - looking down from my office window onto Coronation Drive I have seen many cars like that go past in the last 5 minutes. Whether T-cut or equivalent will work really depends on how deep the discolouration has penetrated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.