Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Capital Investment Bond request approaching – Couple of questions

Capital Investment Bond request approaching – Couple of questions

Old Apr 5th 2005, 8:32 am
Pej
Forum Regular

Pej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nice
Default Capital Investment Bond request approaching – Couple of questions

We’ve just done our medicals (requested), so assuming everything goes OK, I expect the next thing we’ll hear from DIMIA will be the Capital Investment Bond request.

Can anyone tell me how long I’m likely to be waiting for the bond request and explain the process for lodging it?

Thanks people
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:07 am

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Capital Investment Bond request approaching – Couple of questions

Originally Posted by Pej
We’ve just done our medicals (requested), so assuming everything goes OK, I expect the next thing we’ll hear from DIMIA will be the Capital Investment Bond request.

Can anyone tell me how long I’m likely to be waiting for the bond request and explain the process for lodging it?

Thanks people
Have just lodged medicals and police clearances (about 2 weeks ago). We are using an agent and she said it would now be a couple of months before we get the request for the bond. However judging by some people's timelines on this site, we think it may be sooner. Hope the house sells soooooon.....
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:36 am
Pej
Forum Regular

Pej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nicePej is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shelley29
Have just lodged medicals and police clearances (about 2 weeks ago). We are using an agent and she said it would now be a couple of months before we get the request for the bond. However judging by some people's timelines on this site, we think it may be sooner. Hope the house sells soooooon.....
Thanks Shelley

2 months isn't too bad, but I hope it is a bit sooner! Has your agent told you if lodging the bond is a straightforward process?

We put our house on the market at the beginning of last week thinking that it would take a while and we would definitely know about the visa before we committed to selling, but got a good offer which we accepted on Friday. It’s got us frantically trying to work out how long the bond/visa process is going to take!
Old Apr 5th 2005, 10:43 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

This is the 100k$ for 5 points ?

You'll want to register with a foreign exchange broker - HIFX is favourite, we used them. www.hifx.com it takes 3 or so days to register so do it now. They know exactly what to do and they're great they help you through the whole thing of changing the money.

You'll get an email or letter via agent or direct if not using agent asking you to go ahead and lodge the bond with the approved governments , this will give you a deadline to do it ranging from 30 - 70 days.

You decide (you can do this now ) which govt to lodge it with - we chose Qld because we're going to live there - but in hinsight wish I'd chosen whichever state DIMIA is in because that way the paperwork is quicker traversing the continent (ours got lost and had to be resent added 5-10 days!!)

They all pay about 5% interest. The approved list is on the dimia website or in booklet 6 from dimia website. You can ring them all up / check their websites ask them questions etc in advance .

Once you get the letter (along with the included signed form from the DIMIA case officer - most important!!) you phone HIFX, buy the currency from them , instruct them where to send it ( the sort-code/banka ccount etc of the govt you are investing with ) and they go ahead and do it. You post the form to the government you lodged the bond with, they process it and send it back to dimia, dimia receives & processes it and sends your visas out pretty shortly afterwards. Its about 4 weeks really from getting the letter in your hands to getting the letter teling you to go ahead and send your passports for visas.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:01 am
Pej
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spalen
This is the 100k$ for 5 points ?

You'll want to register with a foreign exchange broker - HIFX is favourite, we used them. www.hifx.com it takes 3 or so days to register so do it now. They know exactly what to do and they're great they help you through the whole thing of changing the money.

You'll get an email or letter via agent or direct if not using agent asking you to go ahead and lodge the bond with the approved governments , this will give you a deadline to do it ranging from 30 - 70 days.

You decide (you can do this now ) which govt to lodge it with - we chose Qld because we're going to live there - but in hinsight wish I'd chosen whichever state DIMIA is in because that way the paperwork is quicker traversing the continent (ours got lost and had to be resent added 5-10 days!!)

They all pay about 5% interest. The approved list is on the dimia website or in booklet 6 from dimia website. You can ring them all up / check their websites ask them questions etc in advance .

Once you get the letter (along with the included signed form from the DIMIA case officer - most important!!) you phone HIFX, buy the currency from them , instruct them where to send it ( the sort-code/banka ccount etc of the govt you are investing with ) and they go ahead and do it. You post the form to the government you lodged the bond with, they process it and send it back to dimia, dimia receives & processes it and sends your visas out pretty shortly afterwards. Its about 4 weeks really from getting the letter in your hands to getting the letter teling you to go ahead and send your passports for visas.
Thanks Great info!

I've already set up the HIFX account (should have said), and was worried that I should maybe be requesting forms or something. But it looks like DIMIA will send the forms, so no worries there.

We're heading to Brissie, and quite liked the idea of investing with Queensland. Did you find them easy to deal with?
Old Apr 5th 2005, 3:43 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pej

Thanks people
Hi Pej,
Our bond request came much quicker than we had expected. Am certainly not complaining though. We needed to get an extension on meds as Andrew needed more tests with regards to his diabetes, our meds hit 15 Dec, bond requested 23rd Dec. Not bad going eh?
We found Queensland to be the most helpful out of all the states. They were efficient and most of all gave us the best rate.
Hope this helps
Sarah
Old Apr 5th 2005, 4:13 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pej
Thanks Shelley

2 months isn't too bad, but I hope it is a bit sooner! Has your agent told you if lodging the bond is a straightforward process?

We put our house on the market at the beginning of last week thinking that it would take a while and we would definitely know about the visa before we committed to selling, but got a good offer which we accepted on Friday. It’s got us frantically trying to work out how long the bond/visa process is going to take!
Our house has been on the market nearly 8 weeks and we haven't had a single viewing (but that's another thread). If the request were to come now, apparently we have 49 days, plus an extension of I think 28 days, then we will have to find somewhere to take the begging bowl.

As for lodging the bond - I think some other helpful sole has helped you out with answer to this question.