British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Capital Investment Bond (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/capital-investment-bond-260558/)

beach bound Oct 17th 2004 12:01 am

Capital Investment Bond

Hi

My husband and I got our letter through requesting our $100k bond sooner than we expected. Good news really since it means our application is advancing, except we hadn't started the process of getting our money sorted - big mistake so now we're in a panic trying to get loans sorted!

Can anybody give any advice on best companies to exchange our £s into $s and getting it sent over to buy the bond from whichever State we end up selecting. I searched the forums and it seems HIFX may be a good one - any views would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone offer any advice? - thanks.

SuperSeagulls Oct 17th 2004 11:13 am

Re: Capital Investment Bond

Hi there,

I have just been asked to lodge the bond and am going to use HIFX, mainly because they are highly recommended on this site. I am also funding this with loans until the investment is returned. Will then make the move (apart from a validation trip next year..very exciting).

Its v.easy to open an account with HIFX..u have to do this in advance of buying and investing the $100k.

Good luck.

SS

lindseyden Oct 17th 2004 1:20 pm

We did ours a few weeks ago using HIFX, would recommend them without hesitation, we are using them again once we've sold our house and need to transfer larger amounts.

Lindsey

beach bound Oct 17th 2004 1:45 pm

Hi SS and Lindsey

Thanks for your replies (especially as it was my first post and you were my first replies!!. I think it looks a good idea to go with HIFX.

Our response back to the CO has to be by the 10th of November. We had hoped to do the bond via a mortgage because of the better interest rates but this method seems a lot slower so we are going for the loan route. We have to take out 1 loan each to cover it. My husband sorted his paperwork out yesterday and so half the money will be in our bank mid week. I'm hoping to get mine sorted by the end of the week. I will open a HIFX account asap so we can get the money in, converted and sent straight away.

We're hoping to go summer 05 when school finishes here. We haven't chosen where exactly to live yet though we're being drawn to Brisbane or Sydney. We made a visit back in March and travelled through Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney in a motorhome. Everything about the trip was fantastic and my 2 children (aged 6 and 4) loved it.

Thanks again for your help

BB

JJL family Oct 17th 2004 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by beach bound
Hi SS BB

Hi beach bound,
can u please tell me how long it took for the bond money to be requested after the meds and police checks were sent off :)

ta very much lesley :)

beach bound Oct 17th 2004 4:20 pm

Hi Lesley

Certainly can....we sent our meds & police checks off on the 10th of September. We had a deadline of the 20th of September from our CO to do this. The letter from the CO requesting the bond money is dated the 22nd of September and we now have to get that sorted by the 10th of November. It happened a lot faster than we expected - I really wish we'd started getting our money sorted earlier! Now I'm in a little panic trying to sort out who to lodge the bond with, sort out the loan.... I've taken SS's advice and started the process of opening up an account with HIFX (today I've downloaded the forms, printed them and signed them).

Hope this helps. I noticed many people have added their timelines to their replies. I am new to posting but I have made an attempt and hopefully I have done this okay and you can see my timeline on the bottom of this reply.

Being a new member, I also realised I probably posted this thread to the wrong part of the forum because I've since found the Immigration forum and all the discussions there so sorry about that!

BB