Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Capital Gains Tax - yet again

Capital Gains Tax - yet again

Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:17 am
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about
Default Capital Gains Tax - yet again

I'm getting well p*ssed off with accountants here in Oz. Ask a dozen accountants a question about CGT on an overseas property and you get a dozen different answers.

Here is my situation. I am a PR visa holder and arrived in Australia to settle last year. We own a house in the U.K that we are currently renting out. We do not own a property in Australia and are currently renting here. We only own one property in the whole wide world.

Are we liable to Australian CGT if we sell our house in the U.K?

A lot of people on these forums have mentioned a 6 year rule. My current accountant has said that this rule doesn't apply to permanent residents. I have little faith in my accountant and think that it may be time to get rid of her.

Has anyone out there in a similar situation ever had a ruling from the ATO regarding CGT on U.K property sales? Please enlighten me!

Cheers
mjj
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:28 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capital Gains Tax - yet again

Originally Posted by mjj
I'm getting well p*ssed off with accountants here in Oz. Ask a dozen accountants a question about CGT on an overseas property and you get a dozen different answers.

Here is my situation. I am a PR visa holder and arrived in Australia to settle last year. We own a house in the U.K that we are currently renting out. We do not own a property in Australia and are currently renting here. We only own one property in the whole wide world.

A lot of people on these forums have mentioned a 6 year rule. My current accountant has said that this rule doesn't apply to permanent residents. I have little faith in my accountant and think that it may be time to get rid of her.

Has anyone out there in a similar situation ever had a ruling from the ATO regarding CGT on U.K property sales? Please enlighten me!

Cheers
mjj
Try some research on ATO website www.ato.gov.au

The attached document may help - I am also reviewing it but do not have PR status and therefore are not subject to my other property in UK/Singapore/NZ
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CGT Info.pdf (2.09 MB, 164 views)
Old Jul 28th 2007, 12:07 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you would indeed be liable for Capital Gains, however only on the difference in price between the point of it being let a year ago and the point of sale now.

No legal experience in this, simply common sense to me.

Phone the ATO and ask them directly what they think. Its free and at least you'll hear it from the horses mouth.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Surely you would indeed be liable for Capital Gains, however only on the difference in price between the point of it being let a year ago and the point of sale now.
In principle yes, except there might be some additional relief if it used to be main residence.

Phone the ATO and ask them directly what they think. Its free and at least you'll hear it from the horses mouth.
You don't always get good advice from a "helpline".
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:40 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjj

Cheers
mjj
I got a Private Ruling from the ATO when we sold our former main residence in the UK which had been let when we moved to Australia. The sale was to buy our first home in Geelong, and at the time we were permanent residents of Australia.

Recognising that Private Rulings are specific to each taxpayer (see http://www.ato.gov.au/rba/ and http://www.ato.gov.au/rba/disclaimer.asp) the Ruling advised that the exemption to which you refer was available to us.

I will see if I can locate the Ruling in question on the ATO database later.

Best regards.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:09 am
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
I got a Private Ruling from the ATO when we sold our former main residence in the UK which had been let when we moved to Australia. The sale was to buy our first home in Geelong, and at the time we were permanent residents of Australia.

Recognising that Private Rulings are specific to each taxpayer (see http://www.ato.gov.au/rba/ and http://www.ato.gov.au/rba/disclaimer.asp) the Ruling advised that the exemption to which you refer was available to us.

I will see if I can locate the Ruling in question on the ATO database later.

Best regards.
Alan - This is what I wanted to hear! It would be great if you were able to find the ruling on the ATO database. Many thanks for all of your replies. I just find it staggering that you can pay good money to accountants yet they are unable to provide accurate information.

I suppose my best bet is to get my own private ruling from the ATO.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:49 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

OK - I have it. Authorisation Number 41249:
http://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content.as...tent/41249.htm

As I mentioned in my last post, this Ruling is specific to me, but you might nevertheless choose to use it as a basis for the preparation of your Aussie Return ...

Please don't be too hard on your accountant - you are by no means the first ex-UK person in Australia I have heard about who has encountered an accountant who doesn't have a complete understanding of the issues affecting newly arrived migrants from the UK (or indeed elsewhere)! Watch this space, as I intend to start a network over the next few months of tax accountants who will receive technical input from me as to taxation issues that are specific to migrants.

Best regards.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:45 am
mjj
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
OK - I have it. Authorisation Number 41249:
http://www.ato.gov.au/rba/content.as...tent/41249.htm

As I mentioned in my last post, this Ruling is specific to me, but you might nevertheless choose to use it as a basis for the preparation of your Aussie Return ...

Please don't be too hard on your accountant - you are by no means the first ex-UK person in Australia I have heard about who has encountered an accountant who doesn't have a complete understanding of the issues affecting newly arrived migrants from the UK (or indeed elsewhere)! Watch this space, as I intend to start a network over the next few months of tax accountants who will receive technical input from me as to taxation issues that are specific to migrants.

Best regards.
Thanks a million Alan. Much appreciated.