Capital Gains Tax

Capital Gains Tax

Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Capital Gains Tax

Hi

Can anyone answer the following:

If I rent out my house in the UK whilst first in Australia. Do I pay any (and what percentage) CGT in Australia if I decide to sell it? I will be renting in Australia to start with. Also if you inherit monies in the UK (which are eligible for UK CGT) do you pay twice (once in UK once in OZ)?

I know that these may be hard questions to answer (we all know how hard tax can be to understand)! But maybe someone has personal experience.

Thanks fo you assistance

Geoff
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Capital Gains Tax

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
Hi

If I rent out my house in the UK whilst first in Australia. Do I pay any (and what percentage) CGT in Australia if I decide to sell it? I will be renting in Australia to start with. Also if you inherit monies in the UK (which are eligible for UK CGT) do you pay twice (once in UK once in OZ)?

I know that these may be hard questions to answer (we all know how hard tax can be to understand)! But maybe someone has personal experience.

Thanks fo you assistance

Geoff
You would be better off to email the tax office , you don't need to give personal details the website is www.ato.gov.au they are very helpful
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

ali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura aboutali n ali has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tabby
You would be better off to email the tax office , you don't need to give personal details the website is www.ato.gov.au they are very helpful

If you do email the TAX office , would you post their reply on here , I'd be interested to see what they say .

Thanks
Old Aug 8th 2006, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

You only pay capital gains tax if you make a capital gain. If you rent out your house and you make a capital gain when you sell it you and you are tax resident in Australia you will pay capital gains tax in Australia based on what it was worth when you first became tax resident in Australia.

If you inherit money you don't pay tax the person who dies does.

You really need to go and see an accountant who will charge you lots of money to advise you on all these matters. Get him/her to put it in writing so that if it turns out they were wrong you can sue them.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:50 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
Hi

Thanks fo you assistance

Geoff
Spoke to my accountant and was told on the point of selling a property and inheritance, that the ATO is only interested in the income earned in Australia, not the source of the money, ie any interest earned in Australian bank accounts etc.
He said proceeds from UK property sale is just deemed as cash and not taken into account.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 8th 2006 at 12:53 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest contacting the ATO and getting a reply in writing for your own personal situation as there seem to be some differences in opinion with regard to this.