Cape York ??

Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:54 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cape York ??

We are currently in New Zealand and have been for nearly 4 years, my wife has just finished uni and has seen a job which was written for her, its what she desires to work in, but !! the postitions are in Cape York, yeh right at the top of OZ, you get air conditioned house and flights paid and lots of extras, its working with Aboriginal and Torres strait people, has any of you been up that far ?? i hear there are about 10k people living up there, there is a small township there to, just want some thoughts on the place ??
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cape York ??

Originally Posted by Fooferfish
We are currently in New Zealand and have been for nearly 4 years, my wife has just finished uni and has seen a job which was written for her, its what she desires to work in, but !! the postitions are in Cape York, yeh right at the top of OZ, you get air conditioned house and flights paid and lots of extras, its working with Aboriginal and Torres strait people, has any of you been up that far ?? i hear there are about 10k people living up there, there is a small township there to, just want some thoughts on the place ??
Cape York generally suits people who enjoy isolation and small communities.
The wet season means you have to fly as the roads into the area are closed due to flooding.

It also depends on which community the job is based. Sounds like either Weipa or Thursday Island. Be aware some comunities on the Cape are 'dry' so having a quiet ale is out.

Living costs are significantly higher. The only major supermarket north of Mareeba is Woolworths at Weipa. Google map the distances to get an idea of how far it all is.

A lot of families leave the area at high school age for better education options south.

Job opportunities for yourself may be limited. Weipa has the Comalco aluminium mine. Elsewhere mainly Govt positions - health, education, social work, etc.

Certainly an eye opening adventure, especially if you like fishing.

WW
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Do you have the name of the township?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat

Certainly an eye opening adventure, especially if you like fishing.

WW
....and cyclones
Old Nov 7th 2008, 1:22 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Sory just says Cape York area, thought that would be the case of isolation, i would love to take the dive course here in Dunedin and then take people out on the Barrier , now that would be cool job, maybe better to look at Cairns ?

I run my own property maintenance business in NZ and thw ife wants to work with people who have committed or have been involved with domestic violence, not sure of our next move yet, back to Uk for Christmas and will make some decisions whilst there.

Thanks for replies.

Nige, Dunedin 05
Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Before considering anything, do you have migration visas for Australia? Or are you all New Zealand citizens?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Sory just says Cape York area, thought that would be the case of isolation, i would love to take the dive course here in Dunedin and then take people out on the Barrier , now that would be cool job, maybe better to look at Cairns ?

I run my own property maintenance business in NZ and thw ife wants to work with people who have committed or have been involved with domestic violence, not sure of our next move yet, back to Uk for Christmas and will make some decisions whilst there.

Thanks for replies.

Nige, Dunedin 05
Port Douglas is the last of the tourist dive locations. There may be a small dive operator out of Cooktown which is further north.

The rest of the country is 4WD so I would expect not too many main stream tourists would make their way up there and want to go diving.

If you had to go up you would find work as there is a shortage of building trades (mainly because they can make a better living elsewhere).

Cairns would be a better option as most Govt services work out of there across the Cape.

Seek more information from the contact person as to what is involved. It may well be Cairns based.

WW