Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Capalaba/Thornlands

Capalaba/Thornlands

Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Capalaba/Thornlands

Does anyone no anything about these areas,?

We are looking for acerage within an hour of Brisbane
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all
Default Re: Capalaba/Thornlands

Hi
A relative of mine lives in Thornlands on a large block - pampas Court in Thornlands actually. They love it and as far as I know you get a lot more for your money there. All the blocks are very large which gives it a rural aspect. They really love it there and their children go to Sheldon College which is an excellent private school with a great reputation and this too is pretty close by.

If you don't know already there is a great site for househunting i.e. www.realestate.com. and of course www.ourbrisbane.com.au will give you all sorts of info on areas, schools, facilities etc.

Good luck
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:54 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I picked up a document off this forum some time ago which gives an excellent overview of many of the Brisbane suburbs, I've attached it below.

Sorry, not sure about the author, but good work whoever it was !
Attached Files
File Type: doc
brisbane information.doc (82.5 KB, 202 views)
Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by PADDAD
Hi
A relative of mine lives in Thornlands on a large block - pampas Court in Thornlands actually. They love it and as far as I know you get a lot more for your money there. All the blocks are very large which gives it a rural aspect. They really love it there and their children go to Sheldon College which is an excellent private school with a great reputation and this too is pretty close by.

If you don't know already there is a great site for househunting i.e. www.realestate.com. and of course www.ourbrisbane.com.au will give you all sorts of info on areas, schools, facilities etc.

Good luck
You can get some good sized acreage in Sheldon, for reasonable money. I looked at one a little while ago for $450k, 2.5 acres.
I agree with Sheldon college, my own daughter goes there too.

Capalaba is a good sized shopping centre, and I think would be classed as the main business area in the Redlands district.

Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jwinch
Does anyone no anything about these areas,?

We are looking for acerage within an hour of Brisbane
Capalaba is a large suburb which encompasses the good, the bad and the ugly.

Huge sprawling retail/industrial estates, dodgy residential areas through to up-market residential areas.

Property there can be cheap (a unit in Mount Cotton Road for example) or expensive (Ferntree Park acreage).

We had a 5 bed house in Ferntree Park, which was a nice area, but the residents were so up themselves it wasn't true.

Sheldon College - yes, very good reputation. Very expensive (not just the fees, but the "add ons" - and you don't necessarily get a better education than say, Alex. Hills High (State School).

The Sheldon area itself is just outside Capalaba, and yes, you can get acreage at quite good prices, but most of the plots in Sheldon are pretty uneven (BIG sloping gardens), very wooded, and "protected" - friends of ours cut down 3 gum trees and have been threatened with a $25,000 fine.

It will take you approx. 20 mins. to get to the Bay from Capalaba, so it's not exactly waters-edge stuff. Having said that, it does still get the benefit of the bayside breezes, so it's not as hot as central Brissie.

Nearest decent shopping is Carindale - about 15-20 minutes drive.

Good primary school - Hilliards State School.

Excellent sports centre within 10 minutes drive - (chandler), and great Sunday Farmers Markets there too - (bit of a cross between a car boot sale/market).

Not a bad place to live, but not as good as where I am now (Hampshire, UK)!!!
Old Feb 20th 2004, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

If you like maps and lots of statistics have a look here:
http://www.ga.gov.au/urban/projects/...queensland.jsp
Old Feb 20th 2004, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone for your help