British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   CANZUK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/canzuk-934648/)

Lucydeanjacob Sep 4th 2020 12:45 pm

CANZUK?

Just wondering if anyone has heard about the CANZUK agreement that there is being talked about?

Basically a new trade agreement between UK, Austrailia , Canada and New Zealand which may include free movement .

just before lockdown my family and I were about to apply for the employer sponsored visa , my partner is a plumber and has a job offer . Obviously that’s all been put on hold and I’m constantly checking for updates as I am so eager to get our move l/dream back on the go!

Just no idea when it’s going to be and whether we would even get in now 🥴 or whether this new agreement may come in after we have left the EU?

spouse of scouse Sep 4th 2020 1:23 pm

Re: CANZUK?

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob (Post 12905628)
Just wondering if anyone has heard about the CANZUK agreement that there is being talked about?

Basically a new trade agreement between UK, Austrailia , Canada and New Zealand which may include free movement .

just before lockdown my family and I were about to apply for the employer sponsored visa , my partner is a plumber and has a job offer . Obviously that’s all been put on hold and I’m constantly checking for updates as I am so eager to get our move l/dream back on the go!

Just no idea when it’s going to be and whether we would even get in now 🥴 or whethe'r this new agreement may come in after we have left the EU?

CANZUK is an organisation that's been around since January 2015 seeking free trade and free movement between the four countries. It hasn't happened yet and although most of us will probably have an opinion on the likelihood of it happening in the future, I'm afraid the truth is that nobody knows.

I'd just go ahead with your plan when applications for employer sponsored visas open again. Hope that's soon, best of luck.

Lucydeanjacob Sep 4th 2020 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12905646)
CANZUK is an organisation that's been around since January 2015 seeking free trade and free movement between the four countries. It hasn't happened yet and although most of us will probably have an opinion on the likelihood of it happening in the future, I'm afraid the truth is that nobody knows.

I'd just go ahead with your plan when applications for employer sponsored visas open again. Hope that's soon, best of luck.

Knowing our luck if would happen just after we got the visa 🤣🤣

No but I won’t be hanging around waiting for something to happen that may not even be happening! It’s interesting though I think that agreement would be amazing!

We spoke to our migration agent recently who advised that migration may not start until there’s a vaccine 😫 although I’m seeing today that they are soon starting applications for occupations in health etc . I’m hoping it’s not long and we can come and quantine. I just pray plumber doesn’t get taken off the list! I could go on and on .

i suppose just a waiting game to see what happens , thanks for your reply 😊

Amazulu Sep 4th 2020 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob (Post 12905628)

Just no idea when it’s going to be and whether we would even get in now 🥴 or whether this new agreement may come in after we have left the EU?

Nothing personal but I doubt that this will ever happen and I really hope that it never does

Good luck with your visa application

christmasoompa Sep 4th 2020 3:01 pm

Yep, the idea's been around for years and we've had several threads on the subject in that time, but nobody seems to thinks it'll happen because it would be too uneven (many more wanting to move to the UK and Oz than those that want to move to Canada and NZ). Given a primary reason for people voting to leave the EU was to control migration, I can't see the UK public supporting it.

Plus even if it did happen, the Oz side have said they'd want it to be similar to the E-3 visa arrangement they currently have with the US, which would mean a job offer and various checks would have to be passed anyway - it won't be a way to move like the EU freedom of movement, it'll be more restrictive than that. So I can't see it benefitting you anyway tbh.

Lucydeanjacob Sep 4th 2020 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12905685)
Nothing personal but I doubt that this will ever happen and I really hope that it never does

Good luck with your visa application

thanks , and I wont take it personally everyone’s entitled to their opinion .

It would be amazing for my situation obviously so I would be over the moon , I would think they would still have a point system where you would have to be able to come and work and pay your taxes .

scot47 Sep 4th 2020 3:04 pm

CANZUK Only talk and hot air. See the Wikipedia entry.

Lucydeanjacob Sep 4th 2020 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12905693)
CANZUK Only talk and hot air. See the Wikipedia entry.

Now the UK are leaving the EU though might be the time it does happen.

christmasoompa Sep 4th 2020 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob (Post 12905697)
Now the UK are leaving the EU though might be the time it does happen.

I'd have thought that's a reason for it not happening. The majority of people that voted for leave cited immigration as their main reason for wanting to leave the EU, they wanted to stop freedom of movement. So why would they want it back again? Can't see the British taxpayers going for it somehow, other than the small minority that would want to move to one of the countries in the arrangement.

Lucydeanjacob Sep 4th 2020 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12905691)
Yep, the idea's been around for years and we've had several threads on the subject in that time, but nobody seems to thinks it'll happen because it would be too uneven (many more wanting to move to the UK and Oz than those that want to move to Canada and NZ). Given a primary reason for people voting to leave the EU was to control migration, I can't see the UK public supporting it.

Plus even if it did happen, the Oz side have said they'd want it to be similar to the E-3 visa arrangement they currently have with the US, which would mean a job offer and various checks would have to be passed anyway - it won't be a way to move like the EU freedom of movement, it'll be more restrictive than that. So I can't see it benefitting you anyway tbh.

Just not having to pay £9000 in visa fees would be beneficial to us 🤣

I would agree with still having to pass checks , have qualifications and be able to come and work and help the economy rather then make it worst.

It’s got to work for everyone hasn’t it! I think it would be a great thing.

Lucydeanjacob Sep 4th 2020 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12905699)
I'd have thought that's a reason for it not happening. The majority of people that voted for leave cited immigration as their main reason for wanting to leave the EU, they wanted to stop freedom of movement. So why would they want it back again? Can't see the British taxpayers going for it somehow, other than the small minority that would want to move to one of the countries in the arrangement.

Yeh I think your right , I would want the freedom of movement but to come and work and pay your way support yourself etc which is basically the Australian system now isn’t it?

christmasoompa Sep 4th 2020 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob (Post 12905709)
Yeh I think your right , I would want the freedom of movement but to come and work and pay your way support yourself etc which is basically the Australian system now isn’t it?

Yep, exactly. So essentially what you'd want is only skilled workers able to move, i.e. what each country already has in place……..:lol:

verystormy Sep 5th 2020 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob (Post 12905706)

I would agree with still having to pass checks , have qualifications and be able to come and work and help the economy rather then make it worst.

Migration in Oz is as big a political hot potato as it is in the U.K. Every time there is a general election it is an issue. Committing to any form of free movement would be political disaster for any of the parties.

Amazulu Sep 5th 2020 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob (Post 12905706)

That's basically how it is now without free movement

Free movement would be a terrible idea as it would mainly be in one direction - out of the UK

The system as it is right now is pretty good. Get rid of the majority of that family reunion, parent visa, students converting to PR, temporary work visa etc nonsense and it would be even better

Red Eric Sep 5th 2020 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lucydeanjacob (Post 12905709)

That's basically the EU freedom of movement system.