Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

This cant be right??? Can it ?

This cant be right??? Can it ?

Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Thumbs down This cant be right??? Can it ?

We are DIY Packing, London to Perth and iI have just recvd an email (see below) for a company to handle the container when it arrives in Fremantle, Perth. Its nearly $3000 !!!

Please find below our standard Customs & Quarantine clearance
Fee's for a 1x20' Container,

We like to think we specialize in the handling off both Import & Export
Personal Effects, I started my business after do a fair bit of traveling
myself and unfortunately there is no easy way to Import Personal Items into
Australia, I try to be upfront with all my charges so you don't find any
extra or hidden costs upon arrival.

In Order to begin the Customs & Quarantine Clearance process we require :

1/Shipping Documents (Glyn can provide)
2/Australian Customs Form (Attached)
3/ Detailed Packing Lists
4/ Photo copies of Passports

Our Costs are as follows :

WHARF CHARGES $436.00AUD + GST
WHARF HAULAGE $513.00AUD + GST
CUSTOMS CLEARANCE $480.00AUD PER SHIPMENT + GST
AQIS LODGMENT $113.00AUD PER SHIPMENT + GST
AQIS UNPACK / INSPECTION $1150.00AUD (3 HOUR INSPECTION) + GST
**Above rate in on the Basis of all cargo beiing clean and in good order,
any Quarantine steam cleaning destruction fees will be billed as Per
Australian Quarantine Service**

If you can advise me your location in Fremantle you are moving to I can give
you a competitive Haulage Rate 's to your Door ?

I hope the above Information give you an indication of costs to expect,

Unfortunately all Personal Effects cargo from Europe / Africa / South
America and now SE Asia requires mandatory Quarantine Inspections, no room
to move on this, even entering via the International Terminal you will see
how strict they are.
If we can get the paperwork in good order with as much detail as possible
on the Packing List it can only assist when it comes to Inspection time.
They are looking for Soil, Food items, Plant & Straw materials.

If you require some further information or have any questions please do not
hesitate to contact me on any of the below to discuss.

I hope we can assist you with your Shipment.

Thanks & Regards

www.selectfs.com.au
Old Aug 10th 2006, 10:19 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This cant be right??? Can it ?

If you do a search, I think you will find that various people have previously come to the conclusion that DIY container shipping doesn't save you much money, just gives you lots of extra hassles (i.e. it's not worth it).

Gina
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

After reading lots of threads on here it doesn't seem like diy shipping is worth it due to the hassle and it doesn't actually seem to save you a lot of money.

Is it possible to see if there is another company that can help with this for you.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 11:53 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

I believe ours in brisbane was nearer 1800$AU max in total.

It cost us 2000+/- pounds to ship 20ft container door to door.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen
I believe ours in brisbane was nearer 1800$AU max in total.

It cost us 2000+/- pounds to ship 20ft container door to door.
Sounds more like it!

Which company did you use for the container and the clearing agent?
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:19 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

have you tried U Pack We Ship? We had quotes from them and they were very cheap, just couldn't be bothered with the packing in the end - and that was from Australia www.upakweship.co.uk
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by banjo
have you tried U Pack We Ship? We had quotes from them and they were very cheap, just couldn't be bothered with the packing in the end - and that was from Australia www.upakweship.co.uk
I left voice message on his answerphone on Tuesday but he never called back.
Old Aug 11th 2006, 1:43 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Blimey!!!

When we arrived it went to Grace removals and storage, we ended up with around $400 in customs fees, that was it, everything else was included in the UK cost before we left.
Are you sure what they have told you is right, it seems so over the top, hope you sort it out.
Jenny

ps ours came into Fremantle as well!
Old Aug 11th 2006, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jensteve
Blimey!!!

When we arrived it went to Grace removals and storage, we ended up with around $400 in customs fees, that was it, everything else was included in the UK cost before we left.
Are you sure what they have told you is right, it seems so over the top, hope you sort it out.
Jenny

ps ours came into Fremantle as well!
double checked with him today, and yep thats his quote. Did you self pack etc?
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:22 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rpa34
double checked with him today, and yep thats his quote. Did you self pack etc?
No they packed most of our stuff up, came the house picked it all up, 3 van loads! Stored it for a couple of months and sent it out to coincide with us arriving in Perth, got it all delivered within 2 weeks of it getting here to our new address, couldn't fault them at all.

Jenny
Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:20 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Give Rohan a call at Chess Moving, he might be able to help with the cost.
http://www.chessmoving.com.au/
WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Chess Moving Perth

Phone: +61 (08) 9352 4333
Facsimile: +61 (08) 9352 4322

20 Valentine Street
Kewdale WA 6105

E-mail: [email protected]

Neil.