Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't make up our minds???

Wikiposts

Can't make up our minds???

Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:31 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Why wouldnt you be able to leave???? Once you get there you become a Permanent Residence as you mentioned. You are free to leave and return to Oz but the difference is that once your visa expires, if you leave and intend to return you must have a Return Residents Visa.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

doodle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can't make up our minds???

Hi,

I do understand what you mean. I moved to the USA nearly seven years ago now. Although my husband and children came too it still meant that we had to leave behind family and friends. We did miss family very much and nearly came home after two years, however we realized that it would not be the right decision as we would miss our new life eaqually as much. If you do end up moving I think you'll find that people do ajust and get used to the idea after a while. Their own lives continue, as they should it just takes time. Both my husbands father and my father have been ill since we've been here. My husbands father had a heart attack and had bladder cancer, he is recovered now and back to his normal life. If your parents are really that dependant on you why would you think about going in the first place? Are you sure its not the other way round? Sometimes when we dont have enough confidence in ourselves we turn it around onto something else to give ourselves a valid excuse. Money is also not to be underestimated, you do need to make sure that you earn enough and not be worse off and I think that getting a job before you go would be ideal. You have given yourself quite enough time, start looking for jobs and see what comes up, if you find the right jobs take a deep breath and see how it goes. It's not set in stone that you have to stay. You can come back whenever you want, it might be a bit expensive but not impossible. You will find that moving away changes you as person and that you grow in a very positive way. You become stronger and much more confident because you move out of your comfort zone and are forced to take on new challenges. In a sense you grow up. I'm glad I made the decision and I'm sure you will feel a sense of achievement and pride if you give it a go. It will change your life. Good luck.

Originally posted by robsworld
We managed to get our permanent residancy visas four years ago and now we have only have one year left on them in which to decide.
I'm 33 and my girlfriend is 30. Babs scored enough points for the skilled independant visa and myself as a de-facto spouse.
We've been over twice and flew all over the place. We visited most of the big cities and settled on Perth as a a potential home but we still can't decide???
I love the outdoor life with my favourite sports being surfing, windsurfing, mountain biking, and skiing. All of which I manage to do here in the UK.
My partner is definately a warm weather person and is miserable in the dark, cold months that we have to endure here. She has an MBA masters.

The thing is I would miss my family and friends.I just don't know if I could make the break from them, Especially my parents.

Plus there is all the usual stuff you hear from expats coming back to the UK, i.e. lack of culture and history, lack of green grass and pleasant countryside, real shops with choice, cheap travel and choice - close to Europe, limited work availability, etc.
Everybody knows the positives. Australia is often described as paradise and it really is from what we saw but how long does that notion last?
We are completely split down the middle 50/50. We love Australia but we still love 'Blighty however we don't want to waste a golden chance and live to regret what could of been.
Rob
Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:40 am
sula

Default Re: Can't make up our minds???

Hi Rob,
We are in a similar situation as our visa's expire in July 05 and are currently considering our options. We moved over three years ago and returned ten months later due to family commitments and financial reasons. We have not settled since we returned and are stuggling with our decision to return or not.

If it were possible for you to move over and gain citizenship you would then keep your options open. Don't sell your house until you are certain that you will remain in Oz, as we did three years ago and lost out financially when we had to return.

I appreciate that there are lots ofG� M{
r…#Âz‘寤Ô#Ë_ qìDçzÆ’E@*ØyGŽwFy/Ë� Ã� P²ºÃ?…uAøá?‘_f % µž+.I-®Xr–“öû‹Ã?ÀÃ� oP §×}Å¡=m~?{éSŽT„Ã?\·á' !p=têû¿Úû¿çøs®?(õ …ñ£üÇ6zùb@AJ<üíïâ� ��°Â¼*ep½Ë� ÃœyH~ÙS-ôÃ� 鄵«T6ª–)?ì ËMU0Ã?×yÃŽžíéþ¤®à ?õŽÞéD8•qÿÅLÈs?? Îí?¿__Å¡PÃ?i0}¡¡(<ºÃ� �{(‘žÀš=áï.Æ’Å“_)â� �¹?:ÞÂlÓcý`"²“yÃ’~S?Ti þŸƒâ€� \þ{¥ÇÃ?>%sßÃ? ¸ÿ‡ñtI#Ã� O03Å� }]Ù'_¶oVûȤjþ[²SéåË� Øe@¼y£ìm¬/UΩGäl!±™£¥I£QG†žâ€¡Âºճ̃‡ó÷&? ~ØA_ÄÃ� 0¤ð¬Ú

Old Mar 25th 2004, 5:46 am
sula

OOPS!
What's happened to my response!