Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't make up our minds???

Can't make up our minds???

Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:49 am
Just Joined

robsworld is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can't make up our minds???

We managed to get our permanent residancy visas four years ago and now we have only have one year left on them in which to decide.
I'm 33 and my girlfriend is 30. Babs scored enough points for the skilled independant visa and myself as a de-facto spouse.
We've been over twice and flew all over the place. We visited most of the big cities and settled on Perth as a a potential home but we still can't decide???
I love the outdoor life with my favourite sports being surfing, windsurfing, mountain biking, and skiing. All of which I manage to do here in the UK.
My partner is definately a warm weather person and is miserable in the dark, cold months that we have to endure here. She has an MBA masters.

The thing is I would miss my family and friends.I just don't know if I could make the break from them, Especially my parents.

Plus there is all the usual stuff you hear from expats coming back to the UK, i.e. lack of culture and history, lack of green grass and pleasant countryside, real shops with choice, cheap travel and choice - close to Europe, limited work availability, etc.
Everybody knows the positives. Australia is often described as paradise and it really is from what we saw but how long does that notion last?
We are completely split down the middle 50/50. We love Australia but we still love 'Blighty however we don't want to waste a golden chance and live to regret what could of been.
Rob
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hmm chances are if you aint done it by now - you aren't going to!!

Sounds as if you would have a ball here though if you managed to overcome the Uk obstacle.

It would be a shame to miss the chance completely though. Would you be able to come for a couple of years to test the water and still have your Uk base to return to if you found it wasn't for you?

Good luck
Diane
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:56 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Why don't you take an "extended working holiday" - go over to Oz for two years (long enough to gain citizenship), but plan to return after the two years are up... this will ensure that you don't lose out on Oz, plus 2 years of living there will probably make the decision a lot easier.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:57 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Can't make up our minds???

Originally posted by robsworld
We managed to get our permanent residancy visas four years ago and now we have only have one year left on them in which to decide.
I'm 33 and my girlfriend is 30. Babs scored enough points for the skilled independant visa and myself as a de-facto spouse.
We've been over twice and flew all over the place. We visited most of the big cities and settled on Perth as a a potential home but we still can't decide???
I love the outdoor life with my favourite sports being surfing, windsurfing, mountain biking, and skiing. All of which I manage to do here in the UK.
My partner is definately a warm weather person and is miserable in the dark, cold months that we have to endure here. She has an MBA masters.

The thing is I would miss my family and friends.I just don't know if I could make the break from them, Especially my parents.

Plus there is all the usual stuff you hear from expats coming back to the UK, i.e. lack of culture and history, lack of green grass and pleasant countryside, real shops with choice, cheap travel and choice - close to Europe, limited work availability, etc.
Everybody knows the positives. Australia is often described as paradise and it really is from what we saw but how long does that notion last?
We are completely split down the middle 50/50. We love Australia but we still love 'Blighty however we don't want to waste a golden chance and live to regret what could of been.
Rob
Come over for two years, give it a try, treat it as a 2 year working hoiday, get citizenship, then you have all the choice you want.

Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:58 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Rob
50:50? Base your decision on your both getting good jobs BEFORE leaving UK?
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Hmm chances are if you aint done it by now - you aren't going to!!

Sounds as if you would have a ball here though if you managed to overcome the Uk obstacle.

It would be a shame to miss the chance completely though. Would you be able to come for a couple of years to test the water and still have your Uk base to return to if you found it wasn't for you?

Good luck
Diane
Yes, we are thinking of doing that. We could decide after citizenship and maybe have a choice.
Rob
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:52 am
owieb

I won't comment on the family side of things, but Perth is an awesome place for these sports (except for skiing!).

Depends how much you love these activities and how much you get to do them in the UK. Windsurfing here is phenomenal; consistent seabreezes 5/6 days a weeks, for 5/6 months of the year with more spots than you can shake a stick at.

Surfing all year round, metro area during the winter months, Margaret River during the summer. Though the metro area does throw up some surf in the summer too.

Mountain biking in the hills is great or down to the south of Perth in the forests. Plenty of events as well if you fancy racing or just having a bit of fun.

IMHO I'd take the opportunity now while you have the chance and are fit enough to do it all!

Here are some links to wet your appetite, enjoy!

Windsurfing:

www.seabreeze.com.au
http://www.windsurfingwa.org.au/
http://www.windsurfing.org/

Surfing:

http://www.srosurf.com/index.shtml

MTB

http://perthmtb.com/
http://www.wamba.asn.au/

Old Mar 25th 2004, 2:47 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Rob
I'm going to be totally non-PC here, because you're making my toe itch!

You've had handed to you on a plate what other people on this site would give their eye teeth for. Your partner did all the work to get you your PR. She's miserable in the UK, and you're coming across as a mummy's boy! Either pee or get off the pot! If your girlfriend was anything like my wife she'd leave you to stew in your own juice in the UK and get herself out here. Now buck up!!
:lecture:
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Sounds like I am a 'mummys boy' but my parents have been through the mill in recent years and I'm their rock.

My partner is more undecided then me as she is the big earner. We've made plans to actually go twice and around about the same time she gains promotion which leaves us wondering if we could pull in the same money over there.

I know how lucky I am but we've BOTH worked very hard to get where we are.
Rob

Last edited by robsworld; Mar 25th 2004 at 10:51 am.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the links buddy!
Rob

Last edited by robsworld; Mar 25th 2004 at 10:19 am.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:20 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like I am a 'mummys boy' but my parents have been through the mill in recent years and I'm their rock.

My partner is more undecided then me as she is the big earner. We've made plans to go actually twice and around about the same time she gains promotion which leaves us wondering if we could pull in the same money over there.

I know how lucky I am but we've BOTH worked very hard to get where we are.
Rob
Hi

GET YOUR SELVES THERE MAN!!

I would give anything to be you two now, I have to wait ages till I can even apply, I am gutted!!!

Go out there and give it a chance, my family that are already out there said that you have to live your life for you and not your parents, and your parents and friends will be able to have some fantasic holidays out there...

What are you waiting for????

good luck

laura
Old Mar 25th 2004, 10:47 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

My partner is more undecided then me as she is the big earner. We've made plans to go actually twice and around about the same time she gains promotion which leaves us wondering if we could pull in the same money over there.
Is money what drives you in this world or is it more than that???

For me, you could take all the money away and I would still want Oz over the UK. I have read many others comments on many other posts and most all say......regardless of money.......Oz would win.

Family is a different matter of course.
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:12 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ianj
Is money what drives you in this world or is it more than that???

For me, you could take all the money away and I would still want Oz over the UK. I have read many others comments on many other posts and most all say......regardless of money.......Oz would win.

Family is a different matter of course.

yes I agree, money means nothing to me in comparision to Auz, you cant take it with you when you go, and as my mother would say, "YOU COME INTO THE WORLD WITH NOTHING AND YOU LEAVE WITH NOTHING", so I think its what you do in between that counts.....

Plus if she has done so well here, why wouldnt she doe well in Auz, maybe it will take a couple of years, but if shes good, shes good, so she will be able to climb that career ladder again in no time with all of her experience....

With regard to family, I talk to my family in Auz more than I talk to anyone here, we have email and messenger as well as web cams and holidays......its hard saying good bye but you dont lose touch in this day and age...

Laura
Old Mar 25th 2004, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Some really usefull responses here. Thanks for your comments - planty of food for thought.

Just one point though: Our visas state that we must not arrive in Australia after April 05. We assume this means we can still move over there in the remaining time and then remain there (without leaving) for at least 2 years in order to apply for citizenship. Obviously if we leave Aus before the 2 years and this is after April 05 we would no longer be able to return there on these visas.

The visas we have are only required for entry into Australia and although these could expire while we are there, we can remain there indefinitely in order to qualify for citizenship.

Am I right in thinking this?
Rob
Old Mar 25th 2004, 1:11 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Yup, you're spot on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.