Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cant get a flight..........

Wikiposts

Cant get a flight..........

Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:33 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Cant get a flight..........

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Mum has just phoned, all she managed to say before breaking down is 'Can I get an earlier flight' There is no way I can get over earlier. At the moment I am on a waiting list for a 'straight through' flight, but am booked on the flight that goes the next day, having to spend the night in Kuala Lumpa.
Dad has had a really bad fall, According to the bloke in the bed next door, the nurses got him out of bed and sat him in the chair, then went out of the ward. Dad was sitting there stark naked
He has reached over to get a sheet to cover his bits and fell out of the chair.
His arm has 'splayed', the bolt holding the break together has come through the bone, his shoulder has shattered, as has his hip.
Mum in a terrible state. When I phoned the hospital they said he stood up and slipped. Bull*hit. They are bloody lucky I am thousands of miles away, as the mood I am now in would do no one any good.
I can't remember where you're flying from/to so I've searched Brisbane-Heathrow... connections are normally easy to get though.

I've just done a search, there's flights leaving as soon as next Saturday via Singapore, they're about $3k though

goto www.harveyworld.com.au its quite good as it searches all airlines and is flexible with dates.
www.zuji.com.au is another good site, possibly better, usually cheaper also.

Been told I have to get off the pc now, but will check first thing in the morning as to how you got on.

xxx
Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:34 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Sandra,
do the website flights that show up when you enter details tend to not be available when you ring to book them?
i just looked on singapore airlines site and there is a return flight to heathrow leaving perth tomorrow that isnt fully booked. says its 2400 dollars. 1 adult. I put the return flight as march...
http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/saa#
i just clicked on the 'go' and it let me proceed as far as entering my details to actually book the seat!
dunno if its any use?
sue
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

many thanks for your help...........have rung Quantas, malaysian, singapore airlines. Apparently getting out of perth isnt a problem, its the onward journey. Have booked through flightcentre, must say they have been very, very good. One airline for me from perth, to kuala lumpa, then to frankfurt, then vienna, then heathrow!!!!!!

Hoping a cancelation crops up.

Just waiting for an updtae form mum..........dad may be on his way to surgery at the mo. In a way I am glad that he is confused and 'not with it'. Think he would be very, very frightened if he was to know the full story.

Sandra
Old Dec 30th 2004, 7:06 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Best of luck with everything, it's an awful situation to be in.

Can you leave straight away? There's plenty of availability with Singapore & Qantas/BA if you're willing to fly over New Year's Eve...
Old Dec 31st 2004, 3:19 am
Now in Mandurah

Pauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the roughPauline is a jewel in the rough

Thinking of you Sandra, wish there was something I could do, like charter a plane for you. All the best Hun. I know you have done everything possible to get here as soon as. It must be so frustrating for you.
If there is anything I can do. Just ask.

Pauline
xxx
Old Dec 31st 2004, 3:59 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks for your help...........have rung Quantas, malaysian, singapore airlines. Apparently getting out of perth isnt a problem, its the onward journey. Have booked through flightcentre, must say they have been very, very good. One airline for me from perth, to kuala lumpa, then to frankfurt, then vienna, then heathrow!!!!!!

Hoping a cancelation crops up.

Just waiting for an updtae form mum..........dad may be on his way to surgery at the mo. In a way I am glad that he is confused and 'not with it'. Think he would be very, very frightened if he was to know the full story.

Sandra

Best of wishes for you Sandra,your in all our thoughts x

Love to your dad,his family,you & your family x x

Safe journey home.

Luv Donna.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 3:54 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

dad has gone downhill very quick. he is now in hospital as he has broke his arm ( but no-one seems to know how)

Anyway the prognosis is not good, and I am desperately trying to get a flight from 02/01/05. Can you believe that NO-ONE can help. I have phoned all the airlines and explained the situation.
Quantas have said they MAY be able to help around 16/01/05, and the price..........$3545.00..........I know you cant put a price on your loved ones, but thats bloody ridiculous!!

Sandra
Sandra, I know how distressing this is for you,made worse probably that it's Christmas and you feel so helpless and frustrated.
But to the rest of you, who may one day face the same problem, I'd suggest that maybe the quickest and cheapest way to get 'home' would be to buy a Round -the-world ticket.....$1780 last price I saw.
And for those of you with elderly parents in the UK, it used to be possible to get an insurance policy that would guarantee to get you on a flight within 48 hours, at no further cost to you. There were stipulations, of course; confirmation from a doctor or hospital that your parent was in a terminal condition, or already deceased (i.e., you could get home for funeral); also that your parents were within certain age brackets....I think they had to be under 80 when the policy was taken out. Might be worth looking into.
Old Dec 31st 2004, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Mnay thsnks for your advice, however when i rang Quantas and explained the situation trhey said they would only treat it as a 'mercy flight' if I had a death certificate. When i advised that he was in hospital and time was ticking away they didnt want to know

Update at the moment is......Dad MIGHT be discharged on Wednesday, ( he will be happier at home), but mum has to arrange for a hospital bed, carers to come in and a hoist to get him in out of the bed.