Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cant get a flight..........

Wikiposts

Cant get a flight..........

Old Dec 26th 2004, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cant get a flight..........

Just spoke to mum. She is bringing dad home tommorrow. The hospital have advised against it, but he is very, very unhappy in there. His arm has broke again, apparently it is the cancer in the bone that is causing it.
Mum has managed to drag dads bed down into the dining room, (she didnt tell anyone what she was up to), but has found that she cant put it back together again. Very, very frustrating when we are in Perth and she is in Pompey, knowing we cant help. Anyway Mick has just rung his brother (woke him up) and told him to get his arse round there asap to give her a hand.
Think dad will be a bit happier in his own home. Still praying that he can hang on until I can get home.

Sandra
Old Dec 26th 2004, 8:18 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Just spoke to mum. She is bringing dad home tommorrow. The hospital have advised against it, but he is very, very unhappy in there. His arm has broke again, apparently it is the cancer in the bone that is causing it.
Mum has managed to drag dads bed down into the dining room, (she didnt tell anyone what she was up to), but has found that she cant put it back together again. Very, very frustrating when we are in Perth and she is in Pompey, knowing we cant help. Anyway Mick has just rung his brother (woke him up) and told him to get his arse round there asap to give her a hand.
Think dad will be a bit happier in his own home. Still praying that he can hang on until I can get home.

Sandra
good luck !!!!!!
Old Dec 26th 2004, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
good luck !!!!!!

Thanks
Old Dec 27th 2004, 12:18 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about the trip Sandra.
You can and you will cope.
Thinking of you.

Da Bixes.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 5:47 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Sandra

Don't worry about your flight...you'll be fine hun If there's anything I can do for you while you're over...gimmie a shout.

Thinking of you...

Petra
Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by artep
Hiya Sandra

Don't worry about your flight...you'll be fine hun If there's anything I can do for you while you're over...gimmie a shout.

Thinking of you...

Petra
Hi Petra,

have sent you a pm

love

sandra
Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:45 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Many thanks for the advice Andrew, will collect my itinary on Tuesday. Hopefully the journey will be a smooth one. Dont really care where I sit on the plane, as I will ahve my nose in a book. Just a bit worried about the 'connection' :scared:
Hi Sandra - so sorry to hear about your Dad. Glad you got a flight though. I've travelled through and in KL a few times. Its a fairly new airport, all English speaking, very simple. If you don't have an arranged transport get the limo service to take you. You can buy a return at the ticket desk and pre-book your return as well.

All the best - my fingers are crossed for you

xxx
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi Sandra - so sorry to hear about your Dad. Glad you got a flight though. I've travelled through and in KL a few times. Its a fairly new airport, all English speaking, very simple. If you don't have an arranged transport get the limo service to take you. You can buy a return at the ticket desk and pre-book your return as well.

All the best - my fingers are crossed for you

xxx

Thanks for all your advice, been very, very helpful.

Dont really fancy flying on my own to be honest, only I know mum needs me. She did say that when the 'time come' she would let me know. However I think she just needs a bit of support. She phoned about 2 days before xmas, and just said 'daddy is bad'
I know that I will have to make this trip again in the very near future, and that all our funds are being used up on my flights, but its my dad.
I did feel really bad though as my 2 boys want to come with me, but there is no way I can afford to pay for them as well. My flight alone was just over $2000

Sandra
Old Dec 28th 2004, 1:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sandra,
When you board the aircraft, try and do it fairly early, so the cabin crew aren't rushing and settling people. Find your seat, look around, and locate one of the crew in your area. then go and tell them. however hard it is, the reason you are travelling. Then if you don;t want to be disturbed, they can note it, equally, if they are any decent sort of crew, they will keep an eye on you. Thats straight from a cabin crew purser - he says anyone that makes the crew aware of a "mercy flight" should become a VIP.Just may make it easier to deal with on your own.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 8:17 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sandra,
When you board the aircraft, try and do it fairly early, so the cabin crew aren't rushing and settling people. Find your seat, look around, and locate one of the crew in your area. then go and tell them. however hard it is, the reason you are travelling. Then if you don;t want to be disturbed, they can note it, equally, if they are any decent sort of crew, they will keep an eye on you. Thats straight from a cabin crew purser - he says anyone that makes the crew aware of a "mercy flight" should become a VIP.Just may make it easier to deal with on your own.

If you get the right person & the plane isn't full, I wouldn't be suprised if they try and move you to a quieter area of the plane - perhaps up a class.

I understand about travelling by yourself. I first did it about ten years ago & done it a lot since. It is a bit nerve-racking I kmow. I've done UK to OZ a few times by myself over the past couple of years, on the last trip I just took a couple of sleeping tablets once the food had been served. They kept me in a good sleep for about 6 hours on each leg, which really helped the time go.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for all your help.........will try and get hold of some sleeping tablets.
Things are a bit frantic, have just phoned the hospital for an update (they wouldnt let dad go home yesterday) and it was chaos, they asked me to call back in 10 minutes as dad had just had a fall and the doctors were with him.
I franticlly tried to ring mum, but to no avail as she was at the bus-stop on the way to the hospital.
Finally got mum on the phone at the hospital. had to fight back the tears and 'be strong' for her. Apparently dad had fallen, and the arm that is broke is now 'splayed', according to the doctor there is not a lot they can do, as the bone density is so very poor.They may be looking at amputating.
Mum was trying to 'keep it together' for dads sake. This is an nightmare...for those that still have 2 parents, both fit and well, and in the area, go give them a bloody big kiss!!!!! When you are 15,000 miles away and one of your parents are so very ill, it is like your worst ever nightmare.

Mick and I were just sitting on the bed talking. He says I should get an 'open' ticket and fly back to Perth when the time is right. I say, how can I when I have 2 boys, who are still trying to settle here themselves, and wiull be home alone when I am in London. I know they are teenagers, but they are still kids.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help.........will try and get hold of some sleeping tablets.
Things are a bit frantic, have just phoned the hospital for an update (they wouldnt let dad go home yesterday) and it was chaos, they asked me to call back in 10 minutes as dad had just had a fall and the doctors were with him.
I franticlly tried to ring mum, but to no avail as she was at the bus-stop on the way to the hospital.
Finally got mum on the phone at the hospital. had to fight back the tears and 'be strong' for her. Apparently dad had fallen, and the arm that is broke is now 'splayed', according to the doctor there is not a lot they can do, as the bone density is so very poor.They may be looking at amputating.
Mum was trying to 'keep it together' for dads sake. This is an nightmare...for those that still have 2 parents, both fit and well, and in the area, go give them a bloody big kiss!!!!! When you are 15,000 miles away and one of your parents are so very ill, it is like your worst ever nightmare.

Mick and I were just sitting on the bed talking. He says I should get an 'open' ticket and fly back to Perth when the time is right. I say, how can I when I have 2 boys, who are still trying to settle here themselves, and wiull be home alone when I am in London. I know they are teenagers, but they are still kids.

Sandra,

I can, to a point, understand what you are going through as I lost my Dad to bone cancer(secondary cancer) 8 yrs ago. Although I wasnt across the other side of the world, I might as well have been.

I have a feeling your Dad will be holding on for you to arrive. He will be doing his best, that is for sure.

As far as you staying as long as you need to, in the UK. I think you should. Your boys will be ok in the long run. They will understand what you need to do for your Dad and I think they will be really proud of how you are handling the situation.

Good luck, Sandra.

Hels
xxx
Old Dec 29th 2004, 8:09 am
part-time Visa Angel!

I got mine from my mum, who got them for her trip over here. She just went to her GP, explained she was going longhaul and he prescribed her 8 little tablets

I think its the nightmare those of us here dread happening. So sorry its happening to you right now.

I know I don't know your boys, but they'll probably survive better than you think, especially if you're close to them as they'll realise why you've gone. You sound like you have the support of your husband. I grew up without my Dad around a lot of the time, its amazing how you adapt.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 9:54 am
scoobydoo

Best wishes to you and your family...I feel for you, I don't know what I would do in that situation but I think it would be to do what Mick said and get an open ticket.
xxx

Old Dec 29th 2004, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mum has just phoned, all she managed to say before breaking down is 'Can I get an earlier flight' There is no way I can get over earlier. At the moment I am on a waiting list for a 'straight through' flight, but am booked on the flight that goes the next day, having to spend the night in Kuala Lumpa.
Dad has had a really bad fall, According to the bloke in the bed next door, the nurses got him out of bed and sat him in the chair, then went out of the ward. Dad was sitting there stark naked
He has reached over to get a sheet to cover his bits and fell out of the chair.
His arm has 'splayed', the bolt holding the break together has come through the bone, his shoulder has shattered, as has his hip.
Mum in a terrible state. When I phoned the hospital they said he stood up and slipped. Bull*hit. They are bloody lucky I am thousands of miles away, as the mood I am now in would do no one any good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.