Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't find what I want in the shops!!

Can't find what I want in the shops!!

Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:07 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Can't find what I want in the shops!!

Help! I want to make some of my famous choc chip cookies - and my recipe calls for some Light Muscovado sugar. I cant find the stuff anywhere. Even the normal dark Muscovado sugar is nowhere to be found. Ive tried Coles, Woolworths and one other (cant remember the name.) All they have is brown and demerara. I could get it in Tescos - why cant I get it here!!
Anyone seen it? Anyone? anyone?

W.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:20 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Can't find what I want in the shops!!

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
Help! I want to make some of my famous choc chip cookies - and my recipe calls for some Light Muscovado sugar. I cant find the stuff anywhere. Even the normal dark Muscovado sugar is nowhere to be found. Ive tried Coles, Woolworths and one other (cant remember the name.) All they have is brown and demerara. I could get it in Tescos - why cant I get it here!!

W.
It's just dark brown sugar.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:23 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Quinkana
It's just dark brown sugar.
I've seen normal brown sugar - I havent even seen dark brown sugar.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

W.
Is that the brown sticky sugar? that sort of clogs together in the packet, if it is its called raw sugar, the brown stuff here is just like white with a bit of colour, look for raw sugar, its as near as you will get anyway I like it in my coffee.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:30 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

I've seen normal brown sugar - I havent even seen dark brown sugar.
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."
Perhaps a good answer to put on the FAQ list
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www2.csr.com.au/SUGAR/wwwrsg....b?OpenDocument

Question: What is the "Muscovado" sugar included in some recipes?

Answer: Muscovado Sugar is the equivalent of CSR Brown Sugar. CSR brown sugar comes in both light and dark brown varieties.

Try Coles & Woolworths again, you should be able to get both dark & light brown sugar?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:01 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to change the subject(ingredient) slightly!

I am trying to find a substitute for Bisto Powder,have tried Gravox powder which doesnt even compare with good old Bisto!

Hubby,s yearning for homemade steakpie

Donna.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:06 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by madsad
Sorry to change the subject(ingredient) slightly!

I am trying to find a substitute for Bisto Powder,have tried Gravox powder which doesnt even compare with good old Bisto!

Hubby,s yearning for homemade steakpie

Donna.
Bisto is in Bi-Lo.....bought some for the xmas roast
Old Feb 16th 2005, 6:13 am
ABCDiamond

I could get it in Tescos - why cant I get it here!!

W.
The answer to that, according to The Sugar Association is; " Muscovado sugar, a British specialty brown sugar, is very dark brown and has a particularly strong molasses flavor. The crystals are slightly coarser and stickier in texture than "regular" brown sugar."

I also found this quote: "Muscovado sugar (also called Barbados or moist sugar): Muscovado sugar, a British specialty brown sugar, is very dark brown and has a particularly strong molasses flavor. The crystals are slightly coarser and stickier in texture than "regular" brown sugar."