Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't even work for free?

Can't even work for free?

Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough
Default Can't even work for free?

Argghhhh... I'm a little bit annoyed, I wrote to a few companies asking if I could pop in to their offices a few times a week for a few hours a day to work (for FREE) to gain experience (or at least learn something) as I plan to study next year and would like to get a feel for things before spending a whopping $18500 on a course...

My ONLY response was .....

"Unfortunately we have a freeze on recruitment at this stage, following the recent economic downturn. The Brisbane market is still facing losses and as we work for developers, we are not in a position to interview or employ any new staff at present.
I know you have offered to work free-of-charge to gain some experience, but unfortunately that is against the law.
We will, however, keep your CV on file for a period of six months should a position be re-advertised"

So, fair enough... maybe working for free might mean that I'm not insured or something, I can't even think why it may be against the law. Volunteering is a form of working for free. What REALLY annoyed me was the promise to keep my CV on file... I didnt even send my CV through...

It is really discouraging that the reply was so half-a*sed, an obvious 'copy and paste' of a previous rejection letter sent to applicants...
but I suppose it's a reply, at least, the others didn't even have the decency to do that!!

right... now after that rant i'm going to pour a wine... yay!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:20 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Can't even work for free?

Originally Posted by deedee_b
I know you have offered to work free-of-charge to gain some experience, but unfortunately that is against the law.
I think they got that wrong...

Try some charities. I did a 6 month volunteer work for the Blind Society, and only left when they wanted to pay me.

Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

lots of employers wont let you do that,one reason is ohs;people suing them for any injuries sustained.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Where I work they had someone come in and do 'work experiance'. They had to pay their own insurance though.

There are plenty of voluntary jobs around here, but hubbie can't do them as he is only allowed to work 20 hours a week on his visa, even voluntary work is not allowed over that 20 hours. It is a shame as the local meals on wheels are crying out for people, and he would be great at it. Never mind.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

I wouldn't mind paying my own insurance, if I could get work experience. I understand that companies need to keep themselves covered incase of accidents etc.
I figured that whilst I'm saving to pay for the course I'll go in and get some experience... it's proving to be more difficult than I thought... any ideas on another approach, perhaps calling??
Old Aug 20th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Where I work they had someone come in and do 'work experiance'. They had to pay their own insurance though.

There are plenty of voluntary jobs around here, but hubbie can't do them as he is only allowed to work 20 hours a week on his visa, even voluntary work is not allowed over that 20 hours. It is a shame as the local meals on wheels are crying out for people, and he would be great at it. Never mind.
This is a shame too. People willing to help and can't. Does it really matter who's helping? as long as the help is there.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 12:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't mind paying my own insurance, if I could get work experience. I understand that companies need to keep themselves covered incase of accidents etc.
I figured that whilst I'm saving to pay for the course I'll go in and get some experience... it's proving to be more difficult than I thought... any ideas on another approach, perhaps calling??
What visa are you on? It could quite possibly be that employing you even voluntarily would be illegal.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 4:42 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Ya I am hoping to do some volunteer work when I get to WA, help out community and other forms.
I am going on a tourist visa, plan on doing a few courses too.
Have engineering background, so would like to branch out to other areas of communications, business etc. So was wondering about getting work experience through the new courses.
It would overcome boredom more than anything else and a sense of involvement to the Country I'm in.

1. Can I change my Tourist visa 676 to a Student visa onshore if I want to partake in a course that last for a year?

2. Can I look for sponsorship from an engineering company on a tourist visa onshore?
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Argghhhh... I'm a little bit annoyed, I wrote to a few companies asking if I could pop in to their offices a few times a week for a few hours a day to work (for FREE) to gain experience (or at least learn something) as I plan to study next year and would like to get a feel for things before spending a whopping $18500 on a course...

My ONLY response was .....

"Unfortunately we have a freeze on recruitment at this stage, following the recent economic downturn. The Brisbane market is still facing losses and as we work for developers, we are not in a position to interview or employ any new staff at present.
We will, however, keep your CV on file for a period of six months should a position be re-advertised"

So, fair enough... maybe working for free might mean that I'm not insured or something, I can't even think why it may be against the law. Volunteering is a form of working for free. What REALLY annoyed me was the promise to keep my CV on file... I didnt even send my CV through...

It is really discouraging that the reply was so half-a*sed, an obvious 'copy and paste' of a previous rejection letter sent to applicants...
but I suppose it's a reply, at least, the others didn't even have the decency to do that!!

right... now after that rant i'm going to pour a wine... yay!
Insurance Liability etc etc

We have people rocking up to building sites offereing free work. OH yeahhh, imagnie of one of them slip, fall, industrial accident......

Most wont let you near a site without all the right bits of paper plus a 2 day safety induction course for each particluar site.

Plus there are privacy issues, used to get people offering themself to do a bit of free work in a medical centre
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We have people rocking up to building sites offereing free work. OH yeahhh, imagnie of one of them slip, fall, industrial accident......
I'm sure the CFMEU would be delighted about this.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachband
Ya I am hoping to do some volunteer work when I get to WA, help out community and other forms.
I am going on a tourist visa, plan on doing a few courses too.
Have engineering background, so would like to branch out to other areas of communications, business etc. So was wondering about getting work experience through the new courses.
It would overcome boredom more than anything else and a sense of involvement to the Country I'm in.
You can't work or study on a tourist visa. Take a look at www.immi.gov.au for conditions.
1. Can I change my Tourist visa 676 to a Student visa onshore if I want to partake in a course that last for a year?
Probably but being an international student is tres expensive. Look for some of the threads in the immigration section from Pumpkin Blossom who is here on a student visa.
2. Can I look for sponsorship from an engineering company on a tourist visa onshore?
You can, but if you rock up to immigration with a briefcase full of resumes and business suits on a tourist visa you run the risk of being told to turn around and go home. A tourist visa is meant for tourists, not for people to come job hunting or working.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:03 am

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You can, but if you rock up to immigration with a briefcase full of resumes and business suits on a tourist visa you run the risk of being told to turn around and go home. A tourist visa is meant for tourists, not for people to come job hunting or working.

I am not looking for work per say, I left a job!
I have my tourist visa and I can study for up to 3 months at a time.

This information in RED is incorrect
Proper Link: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

As regards turning up at the airport with a briefcase full of resumes, everyone knows you just store those electronically these days

Last edited by Beachband; Aug 21st 2009 at 1:07 am.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:06 am
Still alive

I am not looking for work per say, I left a job!
I have my tourist visa and I can study for less than 3 months at a time.

This information in RED is incorrect
Proper Link: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

As regards turning up at the airport with a briefcase full of resumes, everyone knows you just store those electronically these days
The information in red is correct. You cannot work on a tourist visa. When I said you couldn't study it was in reply to your plan to gain work experience through your studies, which you cannot do on a tourist visa. This visa may also be used for other short-term non-work purposes
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:18 am

This site is invaluable for information.
I can holiday, study, volunteer!!! I'm happy
Apply for sponsorship if I like it in WA and if the opportunity arises.

The only thing that's killer is I cant play Rock'n'Roll gigs!!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:21 am
ABCDiamond

This site is invaluable for information.
I can holiday, study, volunteer!!! I'm happy
Apply for sponsorship if I like it in WA and if the opportunity arises.

The only thing that's killer is I cant play Rock'n'Roll gigs!!
Here's a link for you...
Volunteering in Australia
www.volunteeringwa.org.au
If you are thinking about volunteering in Western Australia, then you've come to the right place!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.