Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't decide so trying it all

Can't decide so trying it all

Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:23 pm
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice
Default Can't decide so trying it all

Anybody drove from Perth to Brisbane stopping at Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney on the way?

Got a nearly 5 year old girl and the misus in tow.

Figured on hiring a campervan for 6 weeks.

Will this be too much for the little girl and my wallet?

We are migrating in September and can't decide where to settle, so thought this would be a good idea.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 24th 2007, 7:42 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't decide so trying it all

Originally Posted by LAM
Anybody drove from Perth to Brisbane stopping at Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney on the way?

We are migrating in September and can't decide where to settle, so thought this would be a good idea.

Any thoughts?
6 weeks? Not enough time to do this in my opinion, distance to far.

Virgin blue/Jetstar it.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:10 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem in the route may be the west to east coast. Why not just tour the east/south coast maybe on a one way camper rental then fly to Perth.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Alan- will become famous soon enough

I was planning the same trip as I can't be sure on Perth only.

I was thinking car / caravan combo, after considering a camper.

Alan.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan-
I was planning the same trip as I can't be sure on Perth only.

I was thinking car / caravan combo, after considering a camper.

Alan.
Get flights internally and do the East coast.

It's possible in 6 weeks, but of course, it just depends on how much time you want to spend in each place. If you spend all your time driving then you won't be seeing much of the place.

As a tiny guide, I did the drive from Syd to Adelaide with children, so stopping at night, food etc, it took two days and two nights with a couple of rest breaks in each day. Hard for tiny people. Take plenty to keep occupied.

Also, the drive across the desert from Perth to the East.... Long, long, long and red.... Not much fun for a little girl.

As a guide, Perth is quite isolated and us in the east tend not to think about it very much as I'm sure Perth doesn't think of Syney that often either.
If you feel that insularity and possible isolation might be too much for you, pick the East coast .. it's much less distance to get somewhere.

Check out campervan hire here:

http://www.campertravel.com.au/?ref=g

There are others on google.

Remember you'll pay site costs (cheap in most places) including electricity, heating if you're doing it in Winter, and then add in your meals budget and petrol on top of that.

Hope that helps some way.
It might help you to do a search on here for threads about Perth. It helps to read other people's perceptions, which range from complete boredom to loving it.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

chippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to allchippie74 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LAM

Any thoughts?
last yr we had 8 weeks in aus and did a week in every city!!!! the place is massive and theres miles and miles of nothing which would be boring for the little one!!!.hats off to you doiing this sounds great if i was gunna do this i would maybe do the east coast and south in the campervan and get the train to perth from adelaide
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Im seriously considering flying into the east and touring up, down and round the coast. I KNOW i love WA but i feel i just need to maybe have a peek at the other side before i decide to stop east or head west.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:20 pm
LAM
Forum Regular

LAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really niceLAM is just really nice

Thanks for the comments

Thought this would be the cheapest and easiest way to travel around, as we don't have to pay for internal flights, pack/unpack all the time, hire cars in different place, prebook accommodation. But after receiving a quote back of 90 Dollars a day(for 43 days) plus fuel and a distance of about 5200 kilometers, It sounds more of an endurance test than a holiday.

will probably take ipom's advice

Cheers