Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

Wikiposts

Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

Old Dec 14th 2005, 12:32 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

Originally Posted by ali south
After weeks of looking at schools we have finally found one that is great, but it is boys only, Jack is distraught as he has always attended co-ed. He is nearly 15 and many of his friends in the UK were female (he had a huge friendship group). The local co-ed schools offer less sport and sport ruled his life in the UK. We know he can join a rugby club but will that be enough?
I just don't know what to do, should I choose or let him make the decision. How can I convince him to attend the single sex school?
Thanks
Tara
Don't you just love racial and cultural integration forced upon our civilised western societies.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:53 am
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lewis Lapthorn
Don't you just love racial and cultural integration forced upon our civilised western societies.
Just rushed to the bogs to see if I'm turning blonde.

Posted the above to the wrong thread. Was meant for the Sydney race riots - sorry.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

Teri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the rough

There is nothing wrong with single sex schools - it is a very old fashioned idea that single sex schools means no interaction with the opposite sex. I went to single sex and so does my son - and he is involved in so many clubs with his "sister school" - it is also a known fact that boys and girls learn differently and if your son is very sporty - then very often the best sporty schools are all boys.

And - after witnessing all that the all-boy environment has to offer my son - my husband has repeatedly commented how much happier he would have been in a school like that where he might have gone so much further with his sport and possibly managed to concentrate better in class.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Can't convince son to attend a single sex school - help

Originally Posted by Teri
There is nothing wrong with single sex schools - it is a very old fashioned idea that single sex schools means no interaction with the opposite sex. I went to single sex and so does my son - and he is involved in so many clubs with his "sister school" - it is also a known fact that boys and girls learn differently and if your son is very sporty - then very often the best sporty schools are all boys.

And - after witnessing all that the all-boy environment has to offer my son - my husband has repeatedly commented how much happier he would have been in a school like that where he might have gone so much further with his sport and possibly managed to concentrate better in class.
Couldn't agree more with the above. I went to a single sex school and although at the time I'm sure as a young lad I would have wanted to go to a co-ed school,( it would have been for purely non educational reasons),it definitely did me no harm in any way socially or academically.
Your son Jack is certainly not going to suddenly loose his "touch" with the girls so in my opinion if you as parents think it's the best school for his sport/studies its got to be the way to go. Also at 15 and heading for the end of schooling, the less distractions the better!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 7:12 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

I went to an all boys school and my opinion changes with the wind./

In one hand it was great, you know boys together having a laugh. But no girls to show off in front off helped as there were no distractions from study.

On the other hand it was very rough, fighting bullying etc.

I think I would have preferred to go to a mixed school, as when I left school I was like a dog on heat

No seriously I don't think it does you any harm, it didn't do me any, I am finding that it was more about the academic content the school taught us as being the key driver to making a decision whether an all boys/girls school is the way to go...
Old Dec 14th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ian12
What crap! I went to a co-ed school and I am 100% gay and proud about it!
Don't draw such stupid bigoted conclusions.
Sorry this thread has led to offence. Thank you for everyone who has helped. We enrolled Jack in a very nice school, views to die for, we did not find co-ed, mainly because I will be teaching at the school that was the most likely option and Jack was most against attending a school where his mother works. So he will be starting a school that is single sex, BUT he made the decision without being forced. Co-ed schools are few and far between on the Northern Beaches, there are a few. The school looks great and we finally have another small part of our life organsied. Might get to go christmas shopping before christmas after all!
Tara