Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cant afford a house? Blame the Immigrants

Cant afford a house? Blame the Immigrants

Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Cant afford a house? Blame the Immigrants

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...003402,00.html

WW
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:02 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cant afford a house? Blame the Immigrants

yeah but they dont moan when we bring money in what more do they want yes ty for your cash now get out lol
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:07 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Related article
http://www.workpermit.com/news/2008-...ion-growth.htm
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

From the first link - "The HIA chief also said the industry suffered from a skills shortage because only a tiny fraction of immigrants had training in residential construction.

Only about 800 of the net figure of 250,000 arrivals had the necessary skills, he said."

Seems you building tradies are useless!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:28 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Cant afford a house? Blame the Immigrants

Originally Posted by dazah
yeah but they dont moan when we bring money in what more do they want yes ty for your cash now get out lol
That's exactly what we want.

Money in the box please sir, move along now, nothing to see here, thankyou.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Apr 1st 2008 at 10:30 am.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:35 am
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

I'm here in Canberra the most expensive city in the world and the construction is full of cowboys getting very rich, Its speed not quality ( i do both)and the average aussie accepts substandard work as a norm, the minister should ask himself why at a green card course why they allow non english speaking visual tests to major construction firms who import many low paid uncles cousins and pals so they get rich whilst tradies quality get worse and less. The HIA are also not training there own to a set standard so the wheel turns. I feel sorry for migrant young tradesmen that think they will get on in certain areas they are up against it.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

tonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to alltonychef is a name known to all

We can`t afford to buy a house either never mind australians, what they all seem to forget is the amount of investment property`s people have over here and the amount that sit empty !!!!!!!!!!! if they got shut of negative gearing i wonder how that would affect the market ?????????????
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

TheDaddy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by magic.no7
I'm here in Canberra the most expensive city in the world and the construction is full of cowboys getting very rich, Its speed not quality ( i do both)and the average aussie accepts substandard work as a norm, the minister should ask himself why at a green card course why they allow non english speaking visual tests to major construction firms who import many low paid uncles cousins and pals so they get rich whilst tradies quality get worse and less. The HIA are also not training there own to a set standard so the wheel turns. I feel sorry for migrant young tradesmen that think they will get on in certain areas they are up against it.

Hmmm very interesting. Thats kind of put me off migrating haha. Atleast in the UK all the Polish and immigrants take the un-skilled shop jobs on the whole, and decent tradies will always have work. As a Plasterer, all the big building firms DEMAND quality and wont, on the most part, have polish, unskilled, or rough Plasterers on their sites.

It seems the situations a bit reversed in Aussie? Will my chances of making it as a plasterer be slim? although i was thinking of setting up my own buisiness after 4-5 years. It isnt all bad news, surely? Is Melbourne/Brissie/Perth any better for my trade to your knowledge mate?

cheers.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

On average, the price of a house will double every seven years.

This average has been the norm for many years so I dont think we can blame house prices on migrants.

There will always be peaks and troughs in the market but it will all even out in the long run.

By the way, we are all migrants over here, some just got an earlier boat.

Barney
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Cashed up poms bringing millions into the economy causing all them
problems what a travesty shunt be allowed
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nicePommie Aussie is just really nice

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...4-3102,00.html

Ive lived here since 1971 from uk. I blame the goverment they should have released alot more land for building e.t.c. And doing alot more for the population growth.

it took my daughter a couple of months to get her rental. Which was unheard of a few years back.

Last edited by Pommie Aussie; Apr 1st 2008 at 11:10 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:58 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

So let me get this straight:

1) Australia faces financial ruin if we fail to breed and dont increase our population size - hence LOTs of incentives to have kids in an attempt to increase population (despite plenty of evidence that ecologically this may not be smart). We are told unless we have a growing population the economy will stagnate and we'll all be plunged into desperate poverty...

2) Australia faces financial ruin if our population doesnt stop growing and placing incredible pressure on the housing market, which is already struggling to cope (building new houses is only part of a solution sine other infrastructure is required to be developed to keep pace with growing populations too - WATER, power, roads, rail links, school, hospitals etc etc).

Anyone see any contradiction between these 2 popular ideas?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:07 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Housing Industry Association (HIA) managing director Ron Silberberg today blamed the shortage of private rental accommodation on net immigration he estimated at 250,000 people a year....

Erm..Silberberg...traditional Aussie name
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Housing Industry Association (HIA) managing director Ron Silberberg today blamed the shortage of private rental accommodation on net immigration he estimated at 250,000 people a year....

Erm..Silberberg...traditional Aussie name
What's a traditional Aussie name?

This guy is full of shit. What he's saying is basically that if immigrants are not in the building trade (his so-called 800. He's obviously never been on BE where every second person is a building tradie) they are causing house price/rent inflation and are not good for Australia.

What a tool.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:41 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What's a traditional Aussie name?

This guy is full of shit. What he's saying is basically that if immigrants are not in the building trade (his so-called 800. He's obviously never been on BE where every second person is a building tradie) they are causing house price/rent inflation and are not good for Australia.

What a tool.
I agree mate...I'm taken it that from his surname that he is indeed a migrant himself (like everyone)..and is now complaining that migrants are inflating house prices.
By the looks of the board of directors none of them are short of a few bob....

http://hia.com.au/About%20Us/Nationa...Directors.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.