Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cane furniture (NZ)

Cane furniture (NZ)

Old Nov 16th 2003, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cane furniture (NZ)

This is still some way off but we're worried about our cane furniture. I know MAF get worried about cane furniture. Will there be a problem shipping our cane furniture out to NZ? If so, are there ways to remove the problem, without removing the furniture?

For example, is there some treatment we could do, in the UK, that would satisfy MAF? If not, what would the treatment cost if MAF ordered it, and how likely are they to order it?

It's not hugely expensive furniture, but it's in very good condition (about 4 or 5 years old) and we don't want to have to buy everything over there.

Cheers,
Old Nov 16th 2003, 4:55 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cane furniture (NZ)

Originally posted by sofistek
This is still some way off but we're worried about our cane furniture. I know MAF get worried about cane furniture. Will there be a problem shipping our cane furniture out to NZ? If so, are there ways to remove the problem, without removing the furniture?

For example, is there some treatment we could do, in the UK, that would satisfy MAF? If not, what would the treatment cost if MAF ordered it, and how likely are they to order it?

It's not hugely expensive furniture, but it's in very good condition (about 4 or 5 years old) and we don't want to have to buy everything over there.

Cheers,
You just have to declare it, I dont know what implications that has, we have been told to put anything to declare at the front of the container
ie animal skins
riding tack
garden tools
lawn mowers
tents/camping equip
golf clubs
bicycles
wellies/walking shoes
vacuum cleaners
brooms brushes
bamboo,cane and whicker furniture

so that if customs wants to inspect it it will save time hence money
Old Nov 16th 2003, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I told the wife that we could not take her beloved cane baskets to NZ. However now that I am here and have received container do know that it would have been possible - yep I'm in the dog house.

Imagine you'll need to declare it. As for placement in the container goes don't be assured that you'll wave goodbye to a sealed container and receive the container unopenned in NZ. Our packers (Whites who were good) packed our stuff into a lorry then filled the container at their depot. On arrival in NZ it was unloaded and checked by the delivery men here. MAF/Customs didn't want to see anything (very rare I believe but then no cane furniture!). Our boxes came straight out of a lorry - never saw a container in the whole episode.

Roger
Old Nov 16th 2003, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cane furniture (NZ)

You can take it but you'll probably find it will need fumigating by MAF, even if clean.. Southerner had a small cane table in the container, not realising it had been packed. Think they were charged $40 to fumigate it..