Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cancelling UK tax credits once you're in Oz

Cancelling UK tax credits once you're in Oz

Old Jan 6th 2005, 12:07 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cancelling UK tax credits once you're in Oz

A while ago someone posted that you can continue to collect Child benefit or tax credits for a certain period once you've left the UK. Does anyone know the situation or the link?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelling UK tax credits once you're in Oz

Originally Posted by diddy
A while ago someone posted that you can continue to collect Child benefit or tax credits for a certain period once you've left the UK. Does anyone know the situation or the link?

Thanks,

Paul.

Hiya Paul,

you cannot continue to collect child benefit or tax credits from the uk, if you are permanently migrating to Oz.

Another point to bear in mind is to sort out your affairs with the Inland Revenue etc as soon as before you go, as they are completely hopeless ( in our case) at listening to a blinking word you say -

they are still sending us mail ( To my m-i-l's, regarding the payment to us of tax credits ) even though i wrote to them 3 times and telephoned them 4 times before we left, telling them that WE ARE LEAVING THE COUNTRY AND WE NO LONGER NEED TAX CREDITS ETC!!!!

Obviously another case " not my dept, will pass it on to someone else ", either that or pure incompetency...morons.

Good luck,
Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

We had the same problem,informed Tax office child benefit we were leaving,then they continued paying us for a year for the tax and six months for the child benefit,they've now sent us a bill for the 300 quid overpayment so perhaps someone finally listened.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 12:00 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by diddy

Thanks,

Paul.
Contact your local Inland Revenue Office ask for appropriate form (IR85 I think) you will then get tax refund, then call Tax Credit helpline and tell them the date you are leaving etc, should be no drama, was all sorted etc within a week or so in our case. But you need to do it well in advance of departure from UK.
Hopeless once you have left UK

Good Luck

Paul J