Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cancelled our emigration - here's why.

Cancelled our emigration - here's why.

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:52 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelled our emigration - here's why.

I agree, fabulous post Martin! Obviously, you made an informed decision about what was best for you and your family. All of those so called "silly things" can often be the "big things" over here that make you want to go back home and it truely appears that Germany IS your home.

Congratulations on making such a difficult decision with grace and decorum.

Siren
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi

I thought this was an interesting post. The enjoyment of, and proximity to Europe weighed heavily on my mind before we left, and must agree that it continues to do so.

Some of your other comments, like ability to ski, seem tied up with your original decision to target Perth specifically as opposed to other Australian locations. Your reasons for doing so you did not divulge, though no doubt they are utterly reasonable. Melburnians regularly drive north for a weekend ski. Perhaps people from the Sydney region do to.

Ultimately, emigration, as you already know, is hugely personal thing. And however nitpicking my post may seem to be, I do respect your decision. It made for interesting reading that the 'rose-tinting' set - if there is one - ought to consider.

Neil

Last edited by wongstonn; Sep 23rd 2005 at 4:42 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 4:32 am
Coogee Rocks

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Hi

I thought this was an interesting post. The enjoyment of, and proximity too Europe weighed heavily on my mind before we left, and must agree that it continues to do so.

Some of your other comments, like ability to ski, seem tied up with your original decision to target Perth specifically as opposed to other Australian locations. Your reasons for doing so you did not divulge, though no doubt they are utterly reasonable. Melburnians regularly drive north for a weekend ski. Perhaps people from the Sydney region do to.

Ultimately, emigration, as you already know, is hugely personal thing. And however nitpicking my post may seem to be, I do respect your decision. It made for interesting reading that the 'rose-tinting' set - if there is one - ought to consider.

Neil
Good post, the closness to the rest of the world is a big thing espicaly from Perth! (I guess)....

Plenty of Sydneysiders do indeed ski for the weekend but its pretty expensive.. I went to NZ for my boaring/ski trip and it didnt cost that much more!

I am visiting Germany in May on a hoilday to home, and cant wait to be honest!

S

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

In my time on this board, since about Jan this year. It's looking more and more like the most consistent complaint, in amongst all the others, seems to be proxmity to Europe.

It would be really, interesting to see if that did come out overall, as the number one complaint on a preferential voting type of base.

IE: most people don't put it as their No1 complaint, but it always seems to figure somewhere in amongst peoples dislikes of being in Aussie.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:41 am
Badge

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
In my time on this board, since about Jan this year. It's looking more and more like the most consistent complaint, in amongst all the others, seems to be proxmity to Europe.

It would be really, interesting to see if that did come out overall, as the number one complaint on a preferential voting type of base.

IE: most people don't put it as their No1 complaint, but it always seems to figure somewhere in amongst peoples dislikes of being in Aussie.
One of the things I like about SE Melbourne and Victoria is that the trees and wooded areas remind me a bit of the German countryside. Thick forestry, almost ''alpine'' in nature. The rolling hills could almost be parts of the UK. I''m talking where I live, not any area posters might think I live in or have been to

Having actually lived in Europe I don't have ''rose tints'' for it.

badge

Old Sep 23rd 2005, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
One of the things I like about SE Melbourne and Victoria is that the trees and wooded areas remind me a bit of the German countryside. Thick forestry, almost ''alpine'' in nature. The rolling hills could almost be parts of the UK. I''m talking where I live, not any area posters might think I live in or have been to

Having actually lived in Europe I don't have ''rose tints'' for it.

badge

I must get over your way a bit more often, for me it's the most neglected place to visit. I always head North to the Murray, and NSW, or west to Horsham and SA.

I'm assuming youron the way to Gippsland ?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I would have thought a lack of proximity to family and friends might be the most consistent 'complaint'?

OzTennis
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:17 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Know just how you feel - I'm 50% German, and would move to my family's city, Berlin, like a shot if only it were coastal (I'm very asthmatic & need the sea air).

Enjoy Das Schone Deutschland for me - but don't forget to come & have some great vacations in Oz, too!

Auf wiederlesen

Anya.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Hi Martin,

funny to read your post..I'm German married with a brit. and we had the chance to go and life in Heidelberg and I decided against it...I would like to live in Britain

Ok the Germans are in many ways very professional and organized, but I have not lived for the last 10 years in Germany and I prefer the brit. lifestyle by now.

I think Germans lack a bit of humour and are a bit stiff in many ways.
I just cant wait to go back to England to live there.
Is the world not a funny place?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggy
Prague is certainly a very beautiful place and was the last place we visited before making the move to oz.

Made us wander if we were doing the right thing but have no regrets now we are here.

Good luck mate wishing you all the best.

Mags and family
hey mags, how you doing? nice to see you back on. did megan sttle ok?

debs x
sorry for going off thread everyone
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:59 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I'm 50% German.
That explains the avatar then
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

fugly is an unknown quantity at this point

good onya m8. Oz aint for everyone.

youve saved urself and ure family a lot of pain nd money by using ur head not ur heart
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 12:11 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Well what can i say very good post for 2 reasons.

1,I expect there are alot of people out there that think like you and may not of acted on it like you,and then realised they had done the wrong thing by moving to oz,but by reading your post they may now realise they should of acted on there gut feeling and stop kidding them self's and move back home,no shame in that.

2,Such a good post and you have had no bad replies well done all
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hi Martin,

funny to read your post..I'm German married with a brit. and we had the chance to go and life in Heidelberg and I decided against it...I would like to live in Britain

Ok the Germans are in many ways very professional and organized, but I have not lived for the last 10 years in Germany and I prefer the brit. lifestyle by now.

I think Germans lack a bit of humour and are a bit stiff in many ways.
I just cant wait to go back to England to live there.
Is the world not a funny place?
Yup!

I love spiders and snakes and would quite happily live in the Aussie bush; whereas other folks would see this in a completely opposite way and see that as a reason not to go there...

What works for one person, may not be right at all for another..
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fugly
good onya m8. Oz aint for everyone.

youve saved urself and ure family a lot of pain nd money by using ur head not ur heart
And that's just it! Nowhere is for everyone .... although China seems to be far and away the most popular place on earth.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.