Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra - where no to live

Canberra - where no to live

Old Mar 5th 2006, 12:20 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canberra - where no to live

Does anyone live in Canberra,or has lived in Canberra?

I appreciate that many think it is a boring place to live and is full of civil servants. Well I like it and I am a unconvential civil servant, so I can cope with the criticism it gets.

I have done the city living and simply want a calm place to live to raise my young son.

Can anyone tell me about the suburb they live in and share any knowledge they have of the suburbs that they WOULD NOT live in. I really need some advise as I can't find anything on the internet. I can find advise etc on every thing else except for suburbs.

I am particularly interested in suburbs around Belconnen, not belconnen itself. Some of the schools look good in the surrounding suburbs and that is my priority as my son will be 8 when we get there, and I don't want to choose a suburb with a awful school.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:10 am
It's got to be purple....

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra - where no to live

Hi

Thank god for that....someone else who LIKES Canberra....lol.

I emigrated (on a Spouse Visa) to Canberra in August 2005 to live with my Aussie boyfriend. I love living here and it really gets my goat when people criticise Canberra for being boring and grey. I realise it is not everyone's cup of tea and most Brits seem to emigrate to coastal areas so they can be near a beach. Canberra has so much to offer ....... it is like living in the countryside with everything on your doorstep. The beach or mountains are only 1-2 hours drive, there are excellent shopping centres within 20 minutes from most suburbs, the roads are brilliant - no congestion or traffic jams, there are loads of museums, parks, lakes, and open spaces. Everything is very family orientated and the people are very friendly and helpful.

I live in a suburb called Richardson which is an area called Tuggernanong....on the south side of Canberra. I feel very safe living here and wouldn't hesitate to go out on my own (something I would never do back in Glasgow). This area is very quiet and the houses are affordable. We are renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom detached house for $285 per week which is pretty good when I think what I was paying back in Glasgow for a tiny flat !!

Unfortunately I have not lived in any of the other suburbs so I can't really give you much advise about those. It depends on your budget and to me the best way is to actually have a drive around the suburbs you are thinking about.

The following websites may be of interest for house prices, etc.....

http://allhomes.com.au/c/ah?a=si&s=68

http://wikitravel.org/en/Canberra

http://www.suburbs.canberra.net.au/html/fsregion.htm

http://www.ljhooker.com.au/real-esta...state-act.html

My partner Jim has lived in Canberra for over 15 years so he can maybe give you more information as to the "good" and the "bad" suburbs. He is ill at the moment so he probably won't be online for a couple of days. There are a couple of other Canberrans on this site so maybe they can help answer your question.

Wendy

Last edited by wsbtroyno21; Mar 6th 2006 at 12:13 am.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:16 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

There no bad suburbs in Canberra only boring suburbs, full of boring public servants or civil servants as Poms call them.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:08 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold

I live in a suburb called 'Fraser' which is right up north and out near the mountains, however its only a short drive to Belconnen and there are regular busses here which go straight past our house to Belconnen. My step sister is younger than me and she has setlled down really well.

Tom
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:21 am

wsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond reputewsbtroyno21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
There no bad suburbs in Canberra only boring suburbs, full of boring public servants or civil servants as Poms call them.

BULLSHIT !!!!!

It's not full of boring civil servants (as you call them) - I personally only know one public servant and he is definitely not boring...... oh and he is a Pom. I know many Aussies who have lived in other cities such as Melbourne and Sydney and they now choose to call Canberra home because of the lifestyle it offers them.

Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:54 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

turtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to beholdturtletom is a splendid one to behold

Im sorry but i disagree with you there. I think Canberra is a boring place to live. However that is my opinion and people have their own. im only here to finish my apprenticeship then im off back home.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by turtletom
Im sorry but i disagree with you there. I think Canberra is a boring place to live. However that is my opinion and people have their own. im only here to finish my apprenticeship then im off back home.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion......that is the whole point of a public forum. But just because you think it is boring doesn't mean that everyone will find it boring.

Wendy
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wsbtroyno21
Everyone is entitled to their opinion......that is the whole point of a public forum. But just because you think it is boring doesn't mean that everyone will find it boring.

Wendy
Wendy as the mother of Turtletom - I disagree - I adore Canberra - but if you read my previous posts - it is easy to understand why he is so down on Canberra
KIDS!! can't live with 'em - can't kill 'em (well technically you can but....)

Sarah
Old Mar 6th 2006, 6:40 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Canberra - where no to live

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
If you think Canberra's boring, you obviously haven't visited the West Midlands.

Once you've visited the local sights (gangs of chavs, crumbling 19th Century brickwork, an Argos in every town centre, and the ever-present 2-mile tailback on the M6) there's not much to do but go home and shoot yourself.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:02 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

Thats what England is all about, it suits different people. I like the rushed lifestyle! Im only 18! All you do here is come home and time drags like nothing you would believe! In England i liked the rushing about getting home from work, jumping straight in shower, grabbing some toast then heading off drinking with ur mates, getting home at 3am then getting up at 6 and doing it all again!

I feel as if i am retired allready! One good point in Australia, least you can drink whilst your at work!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
If you think Canberra's boring, you obviously haven't visited the West Midlands.

Once you've visited the local sights (gangs of chavs, crumbling 19th Century brickwork, an Argos in every town centre, and the ever-present 2-mile tailback on the M6) there's not much to do but go home and shoot yourself.

I'm hearing that! I live in Leicester and that's the most accurate description of the Midlands I've ever read!

Back to the matter in hand. I quite like Canberra - Only ever had a good time there, and plenty of really positive memories. I think it's a place that doesn't look that great if you're just passing through, but when you get involved with the locals you start to see parts of it you may have missed otherwise. My ex GF and I stayed in Swinger Hill for a couple of months, which, despite the name, was really nice. Can't comment on the schools though.

And believe me, civil servants know how to drink...

S
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:20 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

Canberra is made up of 3 groups of people.

Cival Servants - These people are the cogs of Australia. However they dont like the trades people. I am a painter and have been told to put my paint away because the fumes are making them dizzy!

Trades People - eg painters, plumbers, electricians etc - These people like to think of themselves as the cogs of Canberra but really their not. All these blokes do is work (to the minimum standards!) then go staright to a pub. Thats it!

And then we have the people aged between 18 - 24 who drink and drive and smash up cars and think its all perfectly ok! I have been out on many times where i have seen people just get in their cars off their head and drive!

Crazy!

Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by turtletom
Canberra is made up of 3 groups of people.

Cival Servants - These people are the cogs of Australia. However they dont like the trades people. I am a painter and have been told to put my paint away because the fumes are making them dizzy!

Trades People - eg painters, plumbers, electricians etc - These people like to think of themselves as the cogs of Canberra but really their not. All these blokes do is work (to the minimum standards!) then go staright to a pub. Thats it!

And then we have the people aged between 18 - 24 who drink and drive and smash up cars and think its all perfectly ok! I have been out on many times where i have seen people just get in their cars off their head and drive!

Crazy!

I don't fall into any of the above categories and neither does my partner or any of our friends so you must be meeting the wrong people!! I can understand why an 18 year old would hate Canberra because it certainly doesn't have the nightlife that most young Brits are used but that is one of the reasons I like it so much !!! Like I have said in previous posts, to me, living in Canberra is like living in the country and that is what appeals to me.

Of course, there are arseholes in Canberra but you will find those no matter where you live.

Each to their own....what suits me doesn't necessarily suit someone else. If we all liked the same things things then life would be very boring (UNLIKE CANBERRA....lol).

Hope you find your ideal spot soon....and good luck with your apprenticeship !

Wendy
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:34 am
Sheffield Is The Best!

Thankyou
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

In the Belconnen area my preferred suburb is Aranda. Very leafy and relaxed. If that is a bit expensive take a look at Cook or Macquarie.

I don't mind Canberra myself, but then I am a boring old fart who is not at all interested in the nightlife. I think Canberra is a good location for young families.

I would avoid the newer suburbs such as Ngunnawal and Gungahlin like the plague. The have built the houses on top of each other and for me these areas do not have the tranquility that the older areas of Canberra do.