Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Ozzieeagle- on the central coast the dam levels are at a critical level and yet there's heaps of rainfall- the problem is that it's not 'caught' or managed effectively, niot that there's not enough rainfall per se. Isn't the problem the same in Melbourne? Isn't piping it in from other areas of Australia just handing the problem on to another generation, using a sledgehammer to crack a nut? What's the management of storm water like down there and how many households have rainwater tanks etc? I'm sure when we first arrived we listened to an interesting report on ABC radio regarding this.
Yes some interesting points, an area close to bzzzybee has one of the highest rainfall figures in the world with 95 inches per year on average recorded on the Westcoast. There reportedly is enough precipitation in Tasmania for not only Tasmania, also Victoria and possibly SA. It does come down to management. I'm not 100 pct convinced that Rainwater tanks will help reduce the problems at our sporting ovals and parks and gardens. I do realise that there would be less household water usage, but as Melbourne grows so will its drain on the current infrastructure, no matter how much water is saved. I'd also say it would be prudent that if there are any water shortages in specific Tasmanian locales, that they will almost certainly be addressed at the same time as the almost inevitable pipeline to Melbournes catchments.

Everything I've read about Tasmania says, they only use a tiny fraction of the catchment potential. The only way I see out of the dwindling reserves is major infrastructure works. Tasmanias obvious large catchment will play a roll in the future of this. Whether we do this now or later is the only barrier that I see.

Melbourne is becoming less green every year, and now it's starting to put people off.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 10th 2009 at 2:56 am.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:32 am
Just Joined

maria-g is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

Originally Posted by paddyo
There is quite a bit of construction going on right now in Canberra to improve the roads and airport. Big housing project up in Gunnedah also but nearing completion. Not sure of the longevity of either of those projects.
Thanks paddyo. It's nice to know that they are still busy in Canberra, hoping it may continue.