British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/canberra-sydney-melbourne-602464/)

wiltshire_1 Apr 8th 2009 11:46 am

Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

We need to make a decision about where to move to next. It will be one of the 3 or in the vicinity of. Just wanted to get some views as we have only visited Melbourne on holiday (loved it but it was a holiday and we all know that's very different to actually living somewhere!), stayed overnight in Sydney and driven through Canberra!!!!

So what would be your advice/choice and why.......?

We are currently in the Hunter Valley and although the town we are in is pretty grim the valley itself is awesome and particularily green and lush at the minute! The dryness of Melbourne puts me off, as does the coldness of Canberra:lol: and I guess I'm assuming that the climate is Sydney is pretty similar to the Hunter - although thankfully a bit cooler in summer!

Any opinions gratefully received:D

The Crow Apr 8th 2009 12:11 pm

Re: Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1 (Post 7462458)
The dryness of Melbourne puts me off

If you are happy to live in or around the Dandenong Ranges, they remain lush year round. :thumbup:

quoll Apr 8th 2009 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1 (Post 7462458)
We need to make a decision about where to move to next. It will be one of the 3 or in the vicinity of. Just wanted to get some views as we have only visited Melbourne on holiday (loved it but it was a holiday and we all know that's very different to actually living somewhere!), stayed overnight in Sydney and driven through Canberra!!!!

So what would be your advice/choice and why.......?

We are currently in the Hunter Valley and although the town we are in is pretty grim the valley itself is awesome and particularily green and lush at the minute! The dryness of Melbourne puts me off, as does the coldness of Canberra:lol: and I guess I'm assuming that the climate is Sydney is pretty similar to the Hunter - although thankfully a bit cooler in summer!

Any opinions gratefully received:D

Ah, you are still here!

Canberra is only cold in winter and then not during the day, only overnight, it usually warms up over 10C every day. Canberra is dry though but we keep on hoping for rain. It's not a bogan place at all, except for the occasional suburb and there are good facilities for kids to do things - advantages of big city and big country town really without any of the disadvantages IMHO.

paddyo Apr 8th 2009 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7462609)
Ah, you are still here!

Canberra is only cold in winter and then not during the day, only overnight, it usually warms up over 10C every day. Canberra is dry though but we keep on hoping for rain. It's not a bogan place at all, except for the occasional suburb and there are good facilities for kids to do things - advantages of big city and big country town really without any of the disadvantages IMHO.

Live in Sydney (Manly), often visit Melbourne on Business, spent 8 weeks living and working in Canberra....so...here is my down and dirty view.......Sydney has everything; mountains, beaches, national parks, harbour, rivers and a diverse population, pretty much a suburb for everyone dependant upon your lifestyle and ethnicity........Canberra is nice, small, fairly well laid out and has some nice suburbs, particularly Kingston for inner city living, easy travel to coast (1 1/2 hours) and lots of mountains and good wine regions around...but....very quiet at weekends and although good for younger kids can be constrictive for older teens......ok, Melbourne, well laid out CBD but watch out for those bloody trams, lots of suburbs around to suit lifestyles, weather more diverse and unpredictable than Sydney........my preference is Sydney albeit I do have limited knowledge of both other cities.

louH Apr 8th 2009 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 7462781)
Live in Sydney (Manly), often visit Melbourne on Business, spent 8 weeks living and working in Canberra....so...here is my down and dirty view.......Sydney has everything; mountains, beaches, national parks, harbour, rivers and a diverse population, pretty much a suburb for everyone dependant upon your lifestyle and ethnicity........Canberra is nice, small, fairly well laid out and has some nice suburbs, particularly Kingston for inner city living, easy travel to coast (1 1/2 hours) and lots of mountains and good wine regions around...but....very quiet at weekends and although good for younger kids can be constrictive for older teens......ok, Melbourne, well laid out CBD but watch out for those bloody trams, lots of suburbs around to suit lifestyles, weather more diverse and unpredictable than Sydney........my preference is Sydney albeit I do have limited knowledge of both other cities.

I agree with Paddyo (I have lived in Canberra and Sydney) would say regarding Canberra even if you have kids is it really worth checking your life in and living in dullsville for the sake of your kids? You would be living in an environment in which diversity is discouraged (okay not actively but it happens so many are are Australian, public servants, living in the same kind of housing all working during the week and getting the hell outta town at weekends).

Also agree with you - lived through 4 Canberra winters and can only describe it as hell on earth. Our house is just not built to withstand the freezing temps and despite spending $$$'s and loads of weekends during those winters installing insulation, sealing up holes etc we still spend most of our time at home under the duvet (which can be a bit tricky when you need to go to the loo).

Given the choice I'd go with Sydney but then I like big cities and don't have any kids to worry about.

wiltshire_1 Apr 8th 2009 10:13 pm

Yes quoll, still here:D. Thanks for your views -keep them coming!

MartinLuther Apr 8th 2009 11:55 pm

I find Melbourne's weather to be fairly predictable. Some days it can be changeable but they seem to do a good job of predicting when the changes come through.

wiltshire_1 Apr 9th 2009 12:40 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 7464557)
I find Melbourne's weather to be fairly predictable. Some days it can be changeable but they seem to do a good job of predicting when the changes come through.

I'm not too fussed about the temperature/unpredictability. It's just because it has so little rainfall!

Sally Simpson Apr 9th 2009 12:49 am

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1 (Post 7464647)
I'm not too fussed about the temperature/unpredictability. It's just because it has so little rainfall!

If you want rain, you'd better move to Cairns!:D

wiltshire_1 Apr 9th 2009 1:01 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7464668)
If you want rain, you'd better move to Cairns!:D

No thanks!!!

Sally Simpson Apr 9th 2009 2:00 am

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1 (Post 7464702)
No thanks!!!

:ohmy:

wiltshire_1 Apr 9th 2009 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sallyclaire (Post 7464784)
:ohmy:

The purpose of this was to find out about the above 3 cities:rolleyes:

paddyo Apr 9th 2009 3:05 am

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1 (Post 7464848)
The purpose of this was to find out about the above 3 cities:rolleyes:

In which case it has to be Sydney. You like the lush green of the Hunter which is only 1 1/2 hours away if you really miss it!! Dependant upon your work circumstances and housing funds you could move to the Blue Mountains, Southern Highlands and the Illawarra or find a nice suburb close to reserves and national parks, matbe Frenchs Forest of north Narabeen.

wiltshire_1 Apr 9th 2009 3:08 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 7464886)
In which case it has to be Sydney. You like the lush green of the Hunter which is only 1 1/2 hours away if you really miss it!! Dependant upon your work circumstances and housing funds you could move to the Blue Mountains, Southern Highlands and the Illawarra or find a nice suburb close to reserves and national parks, matbe Frenchs Forest of north Narabeen.

Thank you:)

Petals Apr 9th 2009 6:48 am

Have lived in Sydney and now in Melbourne however had family in Canberra at one time and they loved it.

So for me it would be either Canberra or Melbourne.