Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

Old Apr 9th 2009, 7:00 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canberra, Sydney or Melbourne....?

I'd probably start by thinking how important a beach lifestyle is to me. If I wasn't too bothered then I'd put Canberra higher up the priority list and down if it was important to me. Although that wouldn't apply at all if you'd be quite skint whereever as I guess you could be as far from the sea in the Western Sydney suburbs as in Canberra.

Not a very helpful post, sorry!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:40 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1
I'm not too fussed about the temperature/unpredictability. It's just because it has so little rainfall!
Sounds like you can knock Melly off your list. You can probably knock Canberra off for the same reason. So that leaves you with Sydney. Too easy
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Sounds like you can knock Melly off your list. You can probably knock Canberra off for the same reason. So that leaves you with Sydney. Too easy
It's certainly looking like we will head to Sydney

We were shocked at how much dryer it was when we drove down through Canberra and Melbourne at xmas. It just got yellower the further down we went!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's certainly looking like we will head to Sydney

We were shocked at how much dryer it was when we drove down through Canberra and Melbourne at xmas. It just got yellower the further down we went!
Yes it does seem that way, and I will admit it's the one thing I dont like about Melbourne. However I do believe that Melbournes Inner City, is probably the best Urban Location I've seen. Everything is easy to get to, there is tons to do, it's affordable, there is hardly any agro, that I've encountered in my 30 years here at least. I feel that I would have to be spending at least 750,000 pounds or more to have the same ambience and wide range of choice in London that I have here in Melbourne. As A London born and raised person, I think I can say I now really think Melbourne is a better city for the average person. I've said this before, and it's proven on the Citysearch site, there is more to do in Melbourne than Sydney.

If you are a person that likes Urban pursuits, then Melbourne is almost certainly the best City in Aus.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes it does seem that way, and I will admit it's the one thing I dont like about Melbourne. However I do believe that Melbournes Inner City, is probably the best Urban Location I've seen. Everything is easy to get to, there is tons to do, it's affordable, there is hardly any agro, that I've encountered in my 30 years here at least. I feel that I would have to be spending at least 750,000 pounds or more to have the same ambience and wide range of choice in London that I have here in Melbourne. As A London born and raised person, I think I can say I now really think Melbourne is a better city for the average person. I've said this before, and it's proven on the Citysearch site, there is more to do in Melbourne than Sydney.

If you are a person that likes Urban pursuits, then Melbourne is almost certainly the best City in Aus.
Yep, I absolutely agree - Melbourne is stunning and got lot's going on. Unfortunately the water situ concerns me tho'
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:19 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

My vote goes for Canberra. I have lived in Sydney and Melbourne and with a child onboard now Canberra was the easy choice.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I absolutely agree - Melbourne is stunning and got lot's going on. Unfortunately the water situ concerns me tho'
Got to admit I 100 pct agree with you. I'd much rather see the money allocated for the for the proposed fibre optic cable layout spent on water infrastructure. It's badly needed.

I think if I were a newcomer to this country, I could well be persuaded to move to Sydney on the water issue as well.

You've got me on Melbournes Achilles heel with this one.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:42 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Got to admit I 100 pct agree with you. I'd much rather see the money allocated for the for the proposed fibre optic cable layout spent on water infrastructure. It's badly needed.

Just curious - where would the water come from?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Just curious - where would the water come from?
For Melbourne, the best solution would be the 2 billion dollar pipeline under Bass strait from Tasmania, which would supply it with a potential of 100 X 's it's consumption. Gravity fed as well, so there would hardly be any pumping needed.

That doesnt fix the rest of SE Australia though.

Personally I think Aus needs that Pipeline plus tapping into the Far North flood waters with a national pipeline grid.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...0-2862,00.html

BTW when I first moved to Melbourne back in 1980, despite rainfall shortages, Melbourne Central was very Green, as there were no restrictions on watering ovals and gardens and nature strips etc. The Sprinklers seemed to be on 24/7 especially in late January and Feburary.... I would love to see that again. I'm personally willing to pay as well.... well my share of course, so If Water rates have to Double or even Triple to supply the infrastructure, I would be for it.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 9th 2009 at 10:57 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

maria-g is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Wiltshire_1, just have a quick question about job situation in Canberra, my OH is a Civil Engineer and just wondering if it's easy to get a Civil Engineering job in Canberra for example in Construction.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:05 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

For Melbourne, the best solution would be the 2 billion dollar pipeline under Bass strait from Tasmania, which would supply it with a potential of 100 X 's it's consumption. Gravity fed as well, so there would hardly be any pumping needed.

Personally I think Aus needs that Pipeline plus tapping into the Far North flood waters with a national pipeline grid.

BTW when I first moved to Melbourne back in 1980, despite rainfall shortages, Melbourne Central was very Green, as there were no restrictions on watering ovals and gardens and nature strips etc. The Sprinklers seemed to be on 24/7 especially in late January and Feburary.... I would love to see that again. I'm personally willing to pay as well.... well my share of course, so If Water rates have to Double or even Triple to supply the infrastructure, I would be for it.

Holy crap. Both of those would be huge projects. Do the Tasmanians/NT peeps agree with it?

I remember melbourne being green and that was the late 90's...things have clearly changed a lot.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Holy crap. Both of those would be huge projects. Do the Tasmanians/NT peeps agree with it?

I remember melbourne being green and that was the late 90's...things have clearly changed a lot.
AFAIK the Tasmanians would be for it, as it would hardly affect any existing infrastructure. I've no idea how the people feel about this in Far North Q'land, the Territory or Northern WA. The powers that be are going to have to do this one day anyway, so why not bite the bullet in a recession and create some jobs. I reckon the people in Qland would be for it, if it could go some way to fixing their flooding problems... if thats possible.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:25 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maria-g
Sorry to hi-jack your thread Wiltshire_1, just have a quick question about job situation in Canberra, my OH is a Civil Engineer and just wondering if it's easy to get a Civil Engineering job in Canberra for example in Construction.
There is quite a bit of construction going on right now in Canberra to improve the roads and airport. Big housing project up in Gunnedah also but nearing completion. Not sure of the longevity of either of those projects.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:14 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ozzieeagle- on the central coast the dam levels are at a critical level and yet there's heaps of rainfall- the problem is that it's not 'caught' or managed effectively, niot that there's not enough rainfall per se. Isn't the problem the same in Melbourne? Isn't piping it in from other areas of Australia just handign the problem on to another generation, using a sledgehammer to crack a nut? What's the management of storm water like down there and how many households have rainwater tanks etc? I'm sure when we first arrived we listened to an interesting report on ABC radio regarding this.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

bzzzybumblebee will become famous soon enoughbzzzybumblebee will become famous soon enough

AFAIK the Tasmanians would be for it, as it would hardly affect any existing infrastructure.
Ozzieeagle - If I were you, I'd ask a few Tasmanian's and Tasmanian Farmer's about that. Not just assume! As it happens parts of Tasmania are in drought, the Midlands especially. So not all will want to be giving away the water that's needed here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.