Reload this Page >

Canberra suburbs & used furniture

Canberra suburbs & used furniture

Old May 22nd 2011, 9:34 am
Just Joined

gordon7900 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canberra suburbs & used furniture

Hi,
I,m arriving in Canberra in 10-12 weeks with my wife & 2 daughters aged 2 & 5 and need to buy household furniture, bikes, garden furniture, garden toys for the girls and general everyday items that i did not bring with me as it was to expensive to ship over. Can i buy second hand items? Is their a place / shop that sells furniture etc?

With so many suburbs to choose from does anyone have any tips for me of were to live, i want to live outside the city in a rural area and have $500-600 a week to spend on renting a detached house. I have no problem travelling 30 - 40 minutes to work, i have a job in the city. I live in Oxfordshire and worked in Hillingdon for 7 years and it took me 2 hours a day to get to work and the same on the return sometimes!!!!

Any help would be most welcome.

Thank you all in advance

Gordon

Last edited by gordon7900; May 22nd 2011 at 9:36 am. Reason: my mistake
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

zultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud ofzultan has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canberra suburbs & used furniture

Originally Posted by gordon7900
Hi,
I,m arriving in Canberra in 10-12 weeks with my wife & 2 daughters aged 2 & 5 and need to buy household furniture, bikes, garden furniture, garden toys for the girls and general everyday items that i did not bring with me as it was to expensive to ship over. Can i buy second hand items? Is their a place / shop that sells furniture etc?

With so many suburbs to choose from does anyone have any tips for me of were to live, i want to live outside the city in a rural area and have $500-600 a week to spend on renting a detached house. I have no problem travelling 30 - 40 minutes to work, i have a job in the city. I live in Oxfordshire and worked in Hillingdon for 7 years and it took me 2 hours a day to get to work and the same on the return sometimes!!!!

Thank you all in advance

Gordon
I recently moved from Wiltshire to Canberra (I also used to frequent Uxbridge..) and there are plenty of properties outside the city for around $500 a week upwards - I think this one is lovely for the money: http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/re.../1316790135111. Lots of secondhand furniture is available but is a bit of a shock when you translate the prices e.g. http://www.aardvarkfurniture.com.au/ - we recently bought a used sofa from the Salvation Army shop at nearly £500 converted. They even stung us $80 for delivery.

Not that I'm complaining, it really is a beautiful city and lovely place to live.
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thank you all in advance

Gordon
Disadvantage of living rural is that you will most likely be in NSW and, as such, will not have any priority if you choose to try and enrol your kids in ACT schools. Rural Australia is not the same as rural UK!

You might try Michelago, Sutton, Bungendore, Gundaroo, Wamboin if you want rural.

Personally I would check out the older inner suburbs - it isnt like Central London!!!! Try Hackett, Campbell, Ainslie, Griffith for starters. The inner suburbs have older houses on bigger blocks and are nicely established but with good local shopping centres

The Salvos would be the best shop to head for (in Fyshwick) but also check out the Tuesday Canberra Times for the sub $100 offers, the Gumtree and even Freecycle (which is the cheapest of the lot of course, costing nothing!)
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

gordon7900 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for this information it will come in handy for my reserach before i arrive.

Thanks again

Gordo.
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Thank you both for this information it will come in handy for my reserach before i arrive.

Thanks again

Gordo.
How about Hall, still in the ACT but has a rural feel.
Old May 22nd 2011, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louH
How about Hall, still in the ACT but has a rural feel.
Yes indeed, and a good vet! Bit expensive though and no primary school these days either.