Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Canberra meet up

Canberra meet up

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all
Default Re: Canberra meet up

Originally Posted by quoll
No worries, Emma, happy to have my brains picked!!

We actually have 3 lakes in Canberra - all quite large. There are places where kids can paddle and even swim if you want to. There are apologies for beaches, yes, but it isnt a huge swimming attraction. Most people, if they need the beach will hop in the car - it isnt that far to some of the world's best beaches, just a couple of hours really. There are parks on the lake though - Weston (where we were last weekend) which are pleasant. We do have more 50m pools than in the whole of UK I believe and in the summer most kids will hang out at one of the pools.
Thanks Quoll,
Saw the lakes at easter when we were on a visit, looked really clear for swimming. Trying to find reasonably priced/ free options to do with my 2 kids Pools over here either really expensive or wont let me in on my own with 2 kids.(?) Thought days out by the lakes would be nice especially for picnics/bbqs, kids could have a splash in the shallows to cool off.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

We do occasionally get cases of blue algae in the lakes and they close them for water sports (usually in the summer too, of course!!!). Pools arent that expensive here and you wont have a problem going in with two kids - in fact your kids probably wouldnt have a problem going in by themselves!!!! Kids do splash around in the lake - Weston, Yarralumla and Black Mountain are probably the most frequented areas. Not so much splashing down at Lake Tuggeranong and I am not sure about Lake Belconnen - there is a playground there but I dont think there is real splash access. You may get lucky and find a house with a pool and never need to go anywhere (that's what lots of families do!!!)
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

We do occasionally get cases of blue algae in the lakes and they close them for water sports (usually in the summer too, of course!!!). Pools arent that expensive here and you wont have a problem going in with two kids - in fact your kids probably wouldnt have a problem going in by themselves!!!! Kids do splash around in the lake - Weston, Yarralumla and Black Mountain are probably the most frequented areas. Not so much splashing down at Lake Tuggeranong and I am not sure about Lake Belconnen - there is a playground there but I dont think there is real splash access. You may get lucky and find a house with a pool and never need to go anywhere (that's what lots of families do!!!)
I think mine are still a bit young to be let in by themselves! (3 and 5) Would love to have house with pool, but dont see that many advertised with pools in canberra (?) We took a drive to Kambah pools when we were there, looked nice but as not summer difficult to tell - any views?
Cheers
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

mcbowles is on a distinguished road

Hi Black Cat
If it is any help - we recently moved here (8 weeks ago) - and have been to the pool in Dickson (Inner North) - my kiddies are now booked into lessons (ages 2 & 3) - there are only 3 kiddies in a class and you don't have to go in with them. The pool is outdoors and has 3 pools including covered toddlers pool - barbecue areas - cafe and shade - new friends here have told me how they often spent the day here last summer - so we'll wait and see! - Hope this helps - I don't know Kambah pools yet - but re: lakes - don't think it would be my first choice - although some areas (like the park everyone met in and black mountain peninsula look ok for paddling) - To be honest though - there is so much going on in Canberra - you will have difficulty keeping up with it all - and I mean mainly 'free' stuff... Every season there is a new programme of free events.. You won't be short of things to do - Good Luck!!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Kambah pool is OK but what you will probably find is that in the summer you will become increasingly paranoid about having your kids play out in the sun and you will hunt around for places where they can play in the shade. Dickson Pool is certainly a family fun place - quite a bit of shade cloth there especially over the areas where the little kids play. Make sure you budget for spf30 sun cream

We used to have a lot of homes with pools - funnily enough you are probably right, people dont talk about their pools nearly as much as they used to! I suspect that they didnt have a long enough use time in Canberra and they can be a pain in the b*m to have to clean all the time.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Canberrians (sorry not sure what the correct terminology is!)
Just thought I'd warn you all, we now have our visa and hope to be there, if not for christmas early on the new year!! Any requests for marmite etc let me know.
Emma

Last edited by black cat; Nov 5th 2007 at 9:30 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black cat
Hello Canberrians (sorry not sure what the correct terminology is!)
Just thought I'd warn you all, we now have our visa and hope to be there, if not for christmas early on the new year!! Any requests for marmite etc let me know.
Emma
Oh congrats Caramac bar is all I want
Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Congratulations!!! Here for Christmas, huh?! Just bring the rain with you in your luggage please and we Canberrans will love to see you!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:58 am
CANBERRA !!!

jajnlis is an unknown quantity at this point

Stotties Not sure how u would get a chip stottie thru customs though !!!!

Well done - hope to see you soon

JAJ & Co.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jajnlis
Stotties Not sure how u would get a chip stottie thru customs though !!!!

Well done - hope to see you soon

JAJ & Co.
Cheers guys, btw did was it a public holiday in Canberra for the Melbourne cup??
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes it was a public holiday - stupid bloody idea. It's like declaring a public holiday in London for a horse race in Frankfurt! Meant that we didnt have all the MC afternoon tea or lunch and work sweeps. Huge loss financially to the local community as well. It was to replace the Trades and Labour picnic day which was observed by about 20% of the population and instead most people took a 4 day long weekend!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes it was a public holiday - stupid bloody idea. It's like declaring a public holiday in London for a horse race in Frankfurt! Meant that we didnt have all the MC afternoon tea or lunch and work sweeps. Huge loss financially to the local community as well. It was to replace the Trades and Labour picnic day which was observed by about 20% of the population and instead most people took a 4 day long weekend!
Thanks for that, have been trying to get hold of OH employer with no response then it dawned on me that it might be a hol because of the cup! How many public holidays are there in Canberra? ( is it better than the pitiful amount we get here?)
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thousands! The usual Christmas, NY day, Canberra day (March), Easter = GF and EM, Anzac Day (April 25), Queens Birthday (June), Labour Day (Oct). At least we dont have two bank holidays in May!
Old Nov 9th 2007, 5:12 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

marmite delicio - so!

Yes please I it so much,

You booked your flights? Will you be sad to see the back of luton? mmmmmmm ...... I wonder?

Carmel
Old Nov 9th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carmele
marmite delicio - so!

Yes please I it so much,

You booked your flights? Will you be sad to see the back of luton? mmmmmmm ...... I wonder?

Carmel
Hi, big pot of marmite it is then! Cant stand the stuff myself
We are going to book the flights once we have exchanged on the house, which was meant to be today but looks like after the week end now!:curse:
Hoping to fly on new years day to Melbourne spend a couple of days with friends then drive to Canberra!! Sooo excited But so much to sort out here my head is going to explode!
Miss Luton??.......... on careful consideration, no I dont think i will!! Just need to find a good Indian take away there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.